IS IT TRULY DIFFICULT AS A FILIPINO TO FIND WORK?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

A very general question.... is it truly difficult for an average Filipino to find work in Philippines? Ask any Filipino and I get the big eyes and "Oh my it's so hard to find a job". Most Filipinos I know living near or in Cebu City have a job and do work on a regular basis. As an Expat what are your thoughts?

• Like 2

Lou49
Posted
Posted

If u can find some sucker to support you why look for a job?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Old55 said:

is it truly difficult for an average Filipino to find work in Philippines? Ask any Filipino and I get the big eyes and "Oh my it's so hard to find a job"

I used to ask a similar question in Canada, when my children turned to young adults and they each said  "Oh my it's so hard to find a job"

What they meant was: It is so hard to find a job where I can work the hours I want and start at the top of the pay scale and do it my own way and not have to listen to the boss.

Same here in Philippines.   The situation is similar but the pay scale is different.  Whatever the amounts, people say its so hard to find a job at the top of the pay scale.

Edit:  In example, I know many middle aged filipinas who are no longer able to snag some man's cash (as they could when they were young and cute).  When they get to the point where they will take any job available they are never out of work.  I'm talking about normal women, not the kind with no education, no work experience, no brains and no teeth.  Now as for the guys, its hard to find one who wants to work for the going wages but if you want to pay them double what a filipino would pay you will have no trouble finding workers.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 2

canadamale
Posted
Posted (edited)

Walking around Makati I see various ads by companies looking for workers. I also notice many have a age restriction, usually  35. For example I took the Pasig river ferry yesterday, probably 8 workers observed all under say 30. I have also noticed this in the majority of businesses I have been to. So I would say it is easier to get employment  age 35 and under, older  it may be a different story. I would not like to be a filpino, 60, and looking for work here. 

Edited by canadamale
spelling
  • Like 4

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I used to ask a similar question in Canada, when my children turned to young adults and they each said  "Oh my it's so hard to find a job"

What they meant was: It is so hard to find a job where I can work the hours I want and start at the top of the pay scale and do it my own way and not have to listen to the boss.

Same here in Philippines.   The situation is similar but the pay scale is different.  Whatever the amounts, people say its so hard to find a job at the top of the pay scale.

Edit:  In example, I know many middle aged filipinas who are no longer able to snag some man's cash (as they could when they were young and cute).  When they get to the point where they will take any job available they are never out of work.  I'm talking about normal women, not the kind with no education, no work experience, no brains and no teeth.  Now as for the guys, its hard to find one who wants to work for the going wages but if you want to pay them double what a filipino would pay you will have no trouble finding workers.

Ditto, nough said lol

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, canadamale said:

. I would not like to be a filpino, 60, and looking for work here. 

Agreed.  60 is retirement age here and most companies have an age 60 cutoff.  Even as a foreigner wanting to legally work at a call center they would have given me a job if I was 50+ but at 60 its their cut off.  Go home and starve if you are over 60.

• Like 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, canadamale said:

Walking around Makati I see various ads by companies looking for workers. I also notice many have a age restriction, usually  35. For example I took the Pasig river ferry yesterday, probably 8 workers observed all under say 30. I have also noticed this in the majority of businesses I have been to. So I would say it is easier to get employment  age 35 and under, older  it may be a different story. I would not like to be a filpino, 60, and looking for work here. 

I think the restrictions are part of it for many positions. I know that my own nephew found it very hard to find a job nearby so that his pay wasn't eaten by transportation costs. 

• Like 1

canadamale
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Agreed.  60 is retirement age here and most companies have an age 60 cutoff.  Even as a foreigner wanting to legally work at a call center they would have given me a job if I was 50+ but at 60 its their cut off.  Go home and starve if you are over 60.

haha exactly go home and starve. I forgot 60 is retirement age here. Or maybe your daughter has a rich kano bf

Edited by canadamale

canadamale
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

So my dream of living in a bedsaver and working telling UPS customers to get stuffed, there package is lost, is only a pipe dream!!!!!!

• Haha 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I think in the Philippines it's a case of they can advertise for who they want without worrying about discrimination. If you're young, pretty and single you can get any job you want. If you're older, experienced but not pleasing on the eye forget it. Add to this more Filipinos are coming into contact with foreigners who tip just as much as some Filipinos earn in an hour. 

In my neck of the woods there's bill boards that list the maximum rate for tricycles. It varies between 15 peso for about one mile to 35 peso for almost 8 miles. The actual rate you will get charged is from 100 peso to almost 300 peso or you don't get picked up. They've learned that foreigners will pay that much so why work for less? In short you can earn as much driving a tricycle as some professionals get in a month.

• Like 2