IS IT TRULY DIFFICULT AS A FILIPINO TO FIND WORK?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I read the link and here is what I got out of it
"OVER 900 applicants. . . " and further on "A total of 24 applicants were hired on-the-spot by different participating companies."

Now I'm thinking they either did not have enough jobs for all the applicants, or people who were applying were not qualified, or it is inaccurate reporting, or maybe it really is that hard to find a job.  Which is more likely and what other options could cause this huge gap between applicants and new hires?

Who knows young man what I am saying is that there is help out there if some want to try and we know that in this area we still have those that would sooner scratch their B.....ks rather than go and ask about things in Offices that are there for a reason. I am reliable informed that Dumaguete is to Hold another Job fair in October at the Bethel Guest House (Hotel) I may just take a wander down there and see what is what :smile:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

:571c66d400c8c_1(103): GJF my friend, did you not read all the Link?

DOLE, Department of Labour & Employment, that have Job fairs and listings of Jobs in most Areas from a lot of Sources.

Dole can have a different meaning:

on the dole

Receiving regular relief payments from or as if from the government.

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/on+the+dole

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I have 2 male cousins here that have had the same hardware store job since high school (many years).  I have no idea how they do it.  All the other cousins get 6 month contract jobs - and those dry up after 25 or 26 years old.  I don't have any female cousins over 30 that have a job. They all want work, but no one is hiring. 

Help Wanted:

Female sales clerk

Under 23

minimum 5' 3"

Pleasing personality (does that mean 'pretty'?)

college degree

Most of my friends with degrees end up working call centers. They hate it, but it is steady work.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, jpbago said:

Dole can have a different meaning:

on the dole

Receiving regular relief payments from or as if from the government.

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/on+the+dole

Scratching Head.jpg Hm maybe understood by a Brit and anyway, same thing No work, so if there was "dole" here guess who would be collecting it:hystery:

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Most of my friends with degrees end up working call centers. They hate it, but it is steady work.

As my dear old Dad used to say:  "You are not supposed to like it.  That's why they call it work!  If you liked it they would call it play."

It does make me wonder if filipinos are preparing themselves for the jobs they want or training for the jobs that are available.

Its useless if everyone wants the same job, to be a rich real estate salesman selling overpriced properties to foreigner's with filipina wives.  A few get rich off the fools who are soon parted with their money and the rest lay about waiting for their ship to come in.  Yep, a bit cynical as I've seen some of those.

The ones who really want to work prepare themselves for the jobs that are available and then go get one.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 3

intrepid
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

. I am reliable informed that Dumaguete is to Hold another Job fair in October at the Bethel Guest House (Hotel) I may just take a wander down there and see what is what :smile:

Better be careful Jack.  They might put you to work.:huh:

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, intrepid said:

Better be careful Jack.  They might put you to work.:huh:

Reminds of another benefit of not having a 13A visa. Sorry, I can't work!:hystery:

• Like 3

intrepid
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

It does make me wonder if filipinos are preparing themselves for the jobs they want or training for the jobs that are available.

Its useless if everyone wants the same job, to be a rich real estate salesman selling overpriced properties to foreigner's with filipina wives.  A few get rich off the fools who are soon parted with their money and the rest lay about waiting for their ship to come in.  Yep, a bit cynical as I've seen some of those.

The ones who really want to work prepare themselves for the jobs that are available and then go get one.

Sent my niece and nephew through high school and college.   She worked one six month contract.  Now she is waiting for the job she wants,... three years waiting now.  Nephew has a great outlook and always thinking.  In the past four years he has worked about 6 jobs.  Some related and some not to his college.  He has never been without work longer than two months.  He told me he will work any job to keep busy until he lands his career job.  :thumbsup:

• Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, intrepid said:

He told me he will work any job to keep busy until he lands his career job.

As did I, in Canada.  Had I not worked a lot of jobs and taken a lot of subjects in school I would not have known when the right job came along.

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

As did I, in Canada.  Had I not worked a lot of jobs and taken a lot of subjects in school I would not have known when the right job came along.

Exactly.  We called them stepping stones.

Edited by intrepid
  • Like 1