IS IT TRULY DIFFICULT AS A FILIPINO TO FIND WORK?

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
  1. im chatting to a philipina on skype ,she works 6 days a week ,sometimes 12 hour days in a factory in talisay ,her life by western standards is not good ,she has one daughter and basically works to feed her mum,daughter and sister. Every six months her contract comes up for renewal .
  • Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Brings another question one for you Jake.... Why did Judy and Ann (both very smart and educated) marry a couple dumb a#* like us?:89::whistling:

I don't know about you Dan but I begged until it was bleeding out of my heart.  Yeah, I can "over acting" just like a typical Filipino.  In the end Judy probably felt sorry for my sorry ass.....he, he.  

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Why did Judy and Ann (both very smart and educated) marry a couple dumb a#* like us?

I started, edited, started, deleted, started, edited, started, deleted a comment to this question, finally gave up as it is a family forum :shades:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, scott h said:

I started, edited, started, deleted, started, edited, started, deleted a comment to this question, finally gave up as it is a family forum :shades:

Scott you are a true gentleman. :hystery:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, bastonjock said:

Every six months her contract comes up for renewal .

That alone is enough to raise my eyebrows.  The six month contract, as far as i am aware, is not renewable.  They must be dismissed from the job for a period of weeks or months (cannot remember which) before they are eligible for another 6 month contract, otherwise the company gets charged with trying to beat the system.  I heard that Mitsumi in Danao recently got caught up in this and now they do not hire on 6 month contracts any more.

In addition, overtime rates apply here, similar to other countries, so the lady you are speaking with must get a lot of overtime if she is working for a legitimate factory 12 hours a day and 6 days a week.  I am not saying it does not happen.  My sister-in-law works at Mitsumi (as I mentioned) and she works the hours you speak of but with overtime that works out to at least 500 pesos a day so she is making more than 10K pesos a month and by local standards that is good money!  If she is working on a holiday she makes 1,000 pesos that day.  There are expats working here for less.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

As a newly arrived resident of just one month, I am amazed at the number of jobs that are advertised outside stores, businesses etc. However, it is correct, if you are over 35 you are on the rubbish heap.  I cannot understand the 'thinking' (ooops maybe that is the problem), Why they persist with these ridiculous wage limitations is crazy. The under 35's that I have encountered leave a lot to be desired when it comes to work ethic, job knowledge etc.

• Like 4

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

The under 35's that I have encountered leave a lot to be desired when it comes to work ethic, job knowledge etc.

The 6 month contract is responsible for a lot of that.  They use the 6 month contract to get out of a lot of benefits.  A workers protection law was passed so all  long term employees have benefits: SSS, PhilHealth etc.  So to get around that - many companies quit keeping people that long. 

The boss does not care to train you if you are only here for 6 months.   You don't care about the job since no matter how well (or poorly) you perform... it is still a 6 month contract.  Some places will give you a new 6 month contract, a lot just get new people.  I don't know about you, but that would probably wreck my attitude too.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

The 6 month contract is responsible for a lot of that.  They use the 6 month contract to get out of a lot of benefits.  A workers protection law was passed so all  long term employees have benefits: SSS, PhilHealth etc.  So to get around that - many companies quit keeping people that long. 

The boss does not care to train you if you are only here for 6 months.   You don't care about the job since no matter how well (or poorly) you perform... it is still a 6 month contract.  Some places will give you a new 6 month contract, a lot just get new people.  I don't know about you, but that would probably wreck my attitude too.

Yes Time well it may, but they still get paid to do a job and they should do it.

I do agree that contract work which has invaded the planet, is anything but conducive to worker loyalty.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
On 8/11/2017 at 3:31 AM, jpbago said:

Dole can have a different meaning:

on the dole

Receiving regular relief payments from or as if from the government.

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/on+the+dole

And a third meaning which was the first one I thought of... working for the Dole Fruit Company.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
On 8/11/2017 at 3:37 AM, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Most of my friends with degrees end up working call centers. They hate it, but it is steady work.

My wife's youngest sister stayed with us in Baguio while she looked for work, she has a degree in education. She ended up getting into a 2 month training class for SITEL call centers. Of 50 trainee's only the top 4 were hired, which included my SIL who has worked for almost 3 years at a SITEL call center in Manila. Pays a great deal better than what a starting teacher makes.

• Like 2