A reminder to know the law or risks

MikeB
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 11/8/2017 at 5:56 AM, MikeB said:

"Could I have been arrested, fined, imprisoned, black listed? "

You can always be arrested, etc..... but, according to the law, it wouldn't stand up. That last sentence, beginning with "or", is your get out of jail card. It seems to mean that if the relationship is "innocent" the law will not apply. If, for example, you are with spouse 10 years younger or taking a friend's minor child to church or wherever it doesn't apply. That's the way I read it. Leaving the determination completely up to the police and court. Good thing all the authorities are well paid professionals interested only in doing the right thing.

Sorry, wrong information. A spouse is 1st degree affinity so you would be fine providing you had proof of marriage.

Edited by MikeB
corrected again & again
  • I'm Confused 1

• 6 months later...
David Q
Posted
Posted
On 11/7/2017 at 12:42 AM, JDDavao said:

I'm still confused that there could be an arrest when she effectively had an adult chaperone in the room with her in the form of her adult sister. I've been alone in a hotel room with an underage girl and her adult relative (various friends of my wife). Could the police have burst in and arrested me while I was doing nothing more sinister than waiting for my wife to arrive?

I don’t see why.  You were never alone with the underage girl.  That’s the whole point of chaperones 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, David Q said:

I don’t see why.  You were never alone with the underage girl.  That’s the whole point of chaperones

If the "adult chaperone" is her 20 year old sister then that excuse does not get past the judge.  But feel free to try it, tell ECPAT International what you are doing,  and give us a report back.

The Philippine culture is one of acceptance but the international bleeding hearts are the ones to stir crap in cases like that.

• Like 2

Rooster
Posted
Posted

Unless any Expat speaks and understands all the dialects here, we really don't know what is going on here. We read English newspapers watch English news but Tagalog/Dialect news gives the real story.

Over the years because of the internet, many anti trafficking organizations are forming here. Google Anti trafficking Philippines. Want a funded vacation in the PI, volunteer. Perform Ant-trafficking Missionary work, salaried jobs, funded volunteer operations, it's there. Many are monitoring all Internet activities as well. 

As a result, these agencies work with the Police, Barangays, churches, schools, etc. and educate all to be aware of Foreigners who come here to do wrong. Best to ask a girlfriend or wife what is  kahina-hinalang dayuhan(suspicious Foreigner) or babala tungkol sa mga dayuhan (warning concerning Foreigners). Ask her by what means has she heard warnings issued where you live.

The terrible thing for law abiding Expats is Foreigners who come here to break the law raises suspicions against many perhaps all Foreigners. 

The 10 years or more his junior law perhaps was wrote that way to allow subject to interpretation. The reason I say that is I recently heard it was used on an Expat in my area in his late 60's. The woman was of legal age but the difference was too much. They say he was warned but not charged. 

There are jail-bait set ups everywhere, especially in the high tourist areas. Likely the reason we keep seeing tourists continue to get arrested.

Best to find a nice compatible older woman and enjoy life here. 

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Rooster said:

Best to find a nice compatible older woman and enjoy life here. 

thumbs-up-homer.png

Clermont
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Rooster said:

The 10 years or more his junior law perhaps was wrote that way to allow subject to interpretation.

That part of the law is correct, but if the woman is in her mid twenties, you'd be hard pushed to be charged. It is only intended for older men using young girls for sex. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Rooster
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Clermont said:

That part of the law is correct, but if the woman is in her mid twenties, you'd be hard pushed to be charged. It is only intended for older men using young girls for sex. :thumbsup:

I heard he got her from a bar and she moved in with him. She was 18, him in his late 60's so perhaps scenarios like that is when it applies. She moved out after he allegedly was warned & he is single again. 

Edited by Rooster
  • Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Rooster said:

They say he was warned but not charged. 

Many times I have been "warned but not charged" in different circumstances in Philippines.  I was "warned but not charged" when I was with my (then) 20 year old partner because she looked young.  I just brushed it off.  People meddling in other people's business.  I was "warned but not charged" about entering the Philippines with an exit ticket beyond the 30 day free visa.  I just brushed it off as an officious BI official throwing his weight around.  I was "warned but not charged" about coming back to Philippines so many times as a tourist when I have no wife here so I must be doing something illegal.  Again, I brushed it off an an officious BI official.  I was "warned but not charged" with breaking the HOA laws in my subdivision and threatened with having my water and other services disconnected.  That one required a letter from my lawyer to straighten out.

Bottom line is, as the title of this thread suggests, be DAM* SURE you know the law and/or the risks of every action you take here.  There are laws that are not enforced.  There are times when there are no laws but you can still get killed for doing something somebody did not like.  There are many, many times when the crab mentality of others will try to stop you from doing something that they do not like but they have no legal legs to stand on and it is too trivial for them to find a pair of motorcycle assassins to take you out.

Such are my opinions, personal experiences, and observations only

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, David Q said:

There have been set ups in this scenario before. Older sister brings along young sister. Young sisters hot and takes a shower. While naked older sister text police cousin not far away. Police enter and bingo, naked underage girl in your company so money is exchanged to help solve the problem.

Not to say that will happen to everyone but there's always the chance.

David Q
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

If the "adult chaperone" is her 20 year old sister then that excuse does not get past the judge.  But feel free to try it, tell ECPAT International what you are doing,  and give us a report back.

The Philippine culture is one of acceptance but the international bleeding hearts are the ones to stir crap in cases like that.

Just for the purpose of making this murky muck clear: why would that be a problem?  Not that you'd necessarily want to, but being with a girl of any age and an above-18 chaperone would, to my reading of this law, be perfectly fine. Sure, there are corrupt judges and such.  But isn't having an adult present what the whole concept of "chaperone" is about?