Mindanao

Simonuk
Posted
Posted

We live in sultan kudarat in Mindanao , beautiful place with nice people. We have martial law here but make very little difference to people's way of life. What people say about Mindanao is so untrue, I have been here 12 times and have had a long holiday of 6 months , we have our own house built here ( what a nightmare but that's another story), I walk places on my own and have never had any problem , I treat people as they treat me. Just interested if any other expats in Mindanao what are there thoughts!???

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, Simonuk said:

What people say about Mindanao is so untrue

I have heard it said that anecdotes of one person's experience are not indicative of the situation as a whole.  So what is untrue for you, today, may  have been true for another person on another day.

• Like 4

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I've spent significant time in Davao (provincial) and Butuan and never had an issue but having said that, that was about 7-8 years ago.  These days Davao City is still fine based on reports from friends (that bombing last year aside - but it's more dangerous in London and Paris based on that), maybe Gen San in a pinch only.  Anything west of that not a chance, It's a lottery and I'd rather not enter.   Where you are Simon in Kudarat hasn't seen much action but it's far too close to where the shit is going down for my liking.  Having said that I have an ex-navy mate that's lived in Zamboanga city for years without an issue.  Not for me though.

• Like 2

Simonuk
Posted
Posted

We are in tacurong city , as I said I can only speak from my own opinion , what I have seen with my own eyes. I am originally from London but here the lifestyle is so laid back.

before I came here I was warned about Maguindanao , zambwonga etc, I have been a few places in Maguindanao , Buluan as an example and again has been fine.

thanks for the comments appreciated 

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, Simonuk said:

thanks for the comments appreciated 

It sounds like you live in a wonderful place, thanks in part to the "authorities" who spoiled efforts to disrupt your peaceful existence :photo-109:

November 24, 2017 - SULTAN KUDARAT, Philippines — Authorities foiled on Wednesday an attempt to bomb the venue of the closing program for the Kalimudan Festival in Sultan Kudarat province. http://www.philstar.com/nation/2017/11/24/1762039/ied-defused-near-sultan-kudarat-provincial-capitol

Before you say it, I know the news is designed to sell advertising but I do believe where there is smoke there is fire, and there is a lot of this kind of news coming from Mindanao.  Still, I'm glad you are enjoying it.

• Like 1

Simonuk
Posted
Posted

My friend ........ we have more bomb threats in London , and I know there are terrorists using the name of Islam for there own agenda. I know the authorities are cracking down on these people .... as I said I am speaking from what my eyes have seen. Thanks for your comments , do you live here ?

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Simonuk said:

do you live here

I have no need to live in the area you speak of.  I have lived in areas of Philippines where my foreigner neighbors have been assassinated and yet it was all rosy in my back yard.  As I said, anecdotes are nice stories and there are many nice stories about Mindanao.  Seems to me there was a van load of reporters on the way to tell some nice stories a couple of years back, but the Amputuans got 'em.   Hey!  That was right next door to your province! 

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Simonuk said:

My friend ........ we have more bomb threats in London , and I know there are terrorists using the name of Islam for there own agenda. I know the authorities are cracking down on these people .... as I said I am speaking from what my eyes have seen. Thanks for your comments , do you live here ?

One of those things, may be say in your particular area at the moment but kidnappings almost always take place in Mindanao. 

Simonuk
Posted
Posted

Again , I totally agree with you.... Davao the presidents city , 3 people were kidnapped from samal island last year. 

I do not show any wealth , we keep things simple , we have a very nice house but hidden with much security , high walls , electric fence high , rotweiller , CCTV and Burgular alarm with security . We also have security if we want , but have never needed.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Simonuk said:

Again , I totally agree with you.... Davao the presidents city , 3 people were kidnapped from samal island last year. 

I do not show any wealth , we keep things simple , we have a very nice house but hidden with much security , high walls , electric fence high , rotweiller , CCTV and Burgular alarm with security . We also have security if we want , but have never needed.

Got to ask. If all is so safe then why have you got so much security? Yes I do know Mindanao as wife is from there and there at the moment but obviously there are some places none of us should venture to in that neck of the woods. 

• Like 1