Mindanao

Simonuk
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all the replies,

nice to to see I'm not the only Brit here, a lot of Americans here also, but where we are have not met any.......

security is is something we choose , does not mean we need, have other security but can not mention it. 

Sorry is i I cause any negative comments , 

Simonuk
Posted
Posted

Thanks am sure we will check out soon , do you know if any dog friendly hotels or beeches as our rotties always go with us.

thanks

bigpearl
Posted
Posted

Some 6 or 7 years ago I met a guy, interesting dude and I was captivated with until invited to his house (parents) in Tawi Tawi in the Sulu archipelago and while intrigued soon became wary of a prospective gay Muslim relationship where I could be beheaded perhaps ransomed. Offers to meet in Zamboanga were just as hairy. " Tawi Tawi is safe as long as you are with my family or stay indoors".  His family accepted his wishes so obviously moderates but I never went there and dragged him to Oz and though a nice guy it never worked out, gut feelings etc. I am sure Zamboanga and the likes are very safe and one needs to read between the lines as many foreigners live in this/these areas hence expat sites where the realities are revealed and then some. Perhaps government warnings are aligned with insurers? Media hype? Again Boots on the ground and some valued input from Simon.

BTW Simon don't waste your money importing a set of wheels, those or similar can be purchased  can be purchased for half price from new after 12 to 18 months, do some finger work on the lap or desk top.

Good luck with your chosen destination.

Cheers, Steve

• Like 1

Simonuk
Posted
Posted

Dear Steve,

we we don't have neighbors , you can not see our house from the road , we did it to be secluded.we really have a simple life. Our house is nice I agree, but no one can see inside due to compound wall. 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Simonuk said:

Dear Steve,

we we don't have neighbors , you can not see our house from the road , we did it to be secluded.we really have a simple life. Our house is nice I agree, but no one can see inside due to compound wall. 

Did you see my post on how to quote someone's reply? 

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Simonuk said:

Thanks am sure we will check out soon , do you know if any dog friendly hotels or beeches as our rotties always go with us.

thanks

Good luck with that one Simon, a very in-depth search on "airbnb" may be fortuitous but doubt it, never have we seen a dog friendly hotel and in all my years of research and not encountered such, good luck and if you find share with other members.

Cheers, Steve.

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Simonuk said:

Dear Steve,

A choice you created obviously Simon and while many live like this the majority of expats and their situation ofttimes dictates a melding of culture and an acceptance of such as well as "the locals accepting you" something never to be over looked, choose a very different locale "Alien to a perceived comfort zone" and a situation may change.

We chose an area where compound walls are not required, though there are rampant and 7 or 8 foot high boundaries., they are created for the insecure , a couple of ladders? Security cameras are dummies if at all, "I spent my life looking at nothing recorded", even when the local rooster walks by and activates the motion detectors,,,,,,,,,,,, Choose wisely and enjoy. Pick another country if you fear assimilation within this one.

Apparently you are here with fears? Enlighten us. Good luck with the dogs "Johnny Depp" and gods speed.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 1

Simonuk
Posted
Posted

Dear Steve, The province we live in and the province my wife is from , her family are very powerful, they offer us security always but we don't want it.....

i have no no fear and treat all with respect as I would want to be treated.

we have CCTV and motion like you , I have never watched CCTV either. All the security is here for my wife as I have to travel occasionally. 

People have assumption of mindanao I don't ....

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Simonuk said:

People have assumption of mindanao I don't ....

Each to our own, but these so called powerful families are  useless at times , I hope you never find out. Other areas of Mindanao had powerful families too and that caused the problem to begin with

Stay safe and be happy

14 minutes ago, Simonuk said:

her family are very powerful, they offer us security

We hear this a lot 

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Each to our own, but these so called powerful families are  useless at times , I hope you never find out. Other areas of Mindanao had powerful families too and that caused the problem to begin with

Stay safe and be happy

We hear this a lot 

A good example of "powerful families". A Canadian guy I know is married to the niece of the local mayor in T'Boli. Shot his mouth off too many times and ended up having to move to Cebu. Family wasn't worth anything when it came down to antagonizeing the local tribal population.

• Like 1