Mindanao

virginprune
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Simonuk said:

I would not go to cotabato or sulu or zambwonga , but where we are as I said is nice place, we go Davao when we want , gensan great also. But interesting to hear other prospective. Where are you living ?????

I have lived just outside Marbel for nearly 3 years, I too love it here and feel comfortable. I don't have as much security as yourself, a bit Fort Knoxish for me, I do have dogs and a tall bagakay fence. I find the best security is a good relationship with the locals in the neighbourhood.

My partner and I do have a friend, Filipina, from Tacurong but I personally have not visited there. 

However, I am aware that there is always the possibility etc but that can be the same anywhere.

• Like 3

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

While not Mindanao "proper", our week long stay at Camiguin Island was quite enjoyable. Aside from being cautious of pickpockets in the festival crowds (as you would or at least should be in a crowd anywhere in the world), I felt completely safe the entire trip, including no worries letting my wife go to town with 'the girls' (wives/girlfriends with none of us for security). Although before they left many of our wallets were 'in danger' LOL.

• Like 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted

I like Mindanao, but I stay on the east side when I am there, which is where my wife is from. I'd hesitate based on what's been going down, to venture any further west than maybe GenSan in the south or Cagayan in the north, and I've no need to anyway.

Simonuk
Posted
Posted

Dear John , I totally agree with the points you are raising , coming from the east end of London we were bought up with a fighting spirit , my country is so multi cultural that from a young age we mixed with people from many nationalities and ethnic backgrounds. 

One person here lives in Jolo he stated that's ,it's past sulu , there I would not go.

Your current president is going after there people aggressively now, as shown in Marawi.

You will see much better place, my only concern is bansamoro

• Like 1

Simonuk
Posted
Posted

Dear Virginprune,

we we go to marbel as get things from citihardware, my house not like Fort Knox 😀, we have CCTV and alarm systems , that are wireless and unabtrusive.

thanks for your comment 

• Like 1

Simonuk
Posted
Posted

Dear AlwaysRT,

we we do not go further south than gensan , which is our airport of choice in Mindanao as Davao too far , 4 hr drive. Cotabato my wife does not want us to go but that is her choice so I follow. 

Thanks for your comment

Simonuk
Posted
Posted

Dear Reboot,

i dont go past gensan , we are going to lake sebu soon with the dogs for a long weekend , been told fantastic place.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I think a lot of personal safety will depend on how much you stick out from the crowd. That said there's been a few Filipino fishermen kidnapped lately.

I just picked up on Simon saying there's not much English or even Arabic spoken in his area. I'm guessing you may not be your typical Anglo Saxon Brit and as such may blend in more with the locals unlike a 6ft American Red Neck. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, Simonuk said:

Dear Reboot,

i dont go past gensan , we are going to lake sebu soon with the dogs for a long weekend , been told fantastic place.

Past Gensan there are some lovely beaches in Sarangani province, especially around Glan which is a nice small town to visit. Lake Sebu is beautiful, I have an Italian friend who lives on the island in the lake, living the dream :smile:

• Like 2

Simonuk
Posted
Posted

I am Anglo saxon , the reason I mentioned Arabic , this is Muslim place , and I learnt Arabic in Dubai. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1