Mindanao

Clermont
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Each to our own, but these so called powerful families are  useless at times , I hope you never find out. Other areas of Mindanao had powerful families too and that caused the problem to begin with

I agree Jack, sometimes more of a target for you. The wife's father was vice mayor, 2 nephews, police,  7 nuns and 6 priests. so you see sometimes it doesn't matter if you've got all the bases loaded, influence isn't worth a damn if you upset the natives or they want your scalp. I certainly won't be relying on their standing in the community, only on my instincts.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

In Mindanao as in any other part of the Philippines I'd be applying the Grey Man approach. Keep my head down and ensure I look as worthless as possible. 

Having poweful friends sometimes comes with a price tag as does driving around in a flash car when others aren't. If I was looking to kidnap someone who better than someone with money or friends with money? You can have the best security you want in your house but no bad guy worth his salt is going to take you out from a position of safety. I came here to retire and enjoy life not to hard target between A and B. 

• Like 4

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, bigpearl said:

Some 6 or 7 years ago I met a guy, interesting dude and I was captivated with until invited to his house (parents) in Tawi Tawi in the Sulu archipelago and while intrigued soon became wary of a prospective gay Muslim relationship where I could be beheaded perhaps ransomed. Offers to meet in Zamboanga were just as hairy. " Tawi Tawi is safe as long as you are with my family or stay indoors".  His family accepted his wishes so obviously moderates but I never went there and dragged him to Oz and though a nice guy it never worked out, gut feelings etc. I am sure Zamboanga and the likes are very safe and one needs to read between the lines as many foreigners live in this/these areas hence expat sites where the realities are revealed and then some. Perhaps government warnings are aligned with insurers? Media hype? Again Boots on the ground and some valued input from Simon.

BTW Simon don't waste your money importing a set of wheels, those or similar can be purchased  can be purchased for half price from new after 12 to 18 months, do some finger work on the lap or desk top.

Good luck with your chosen destination.

Cheers, Steve

So here we have some unique elements. A little known island in the geopolitical flashpoint South China Sea, forbidden manlove in the steamy still tropical night , Muslim fundamentalism, and a long running civil war.

This scenario has the makings of an intriguing novel. Western women would eat it up.

Edited by Reboot
  • Haha 1