How Much Does The Philippines Need Us?

Warlord
Posted
Posted (edited)

WoW!I read thru all the posts so far and I think everyone is missing the most important factor of expats who move here and its not the $1000 - $3000 they spend monthly.... Look around you I have been visiting the Philippines since 2001 and when I 1st came here there was very little observances of huge tractors and machines that built roads or hauled large cargo or highlifts or cranes all this type of machinery was basically none existent in the amount you seen.... So what happened?Well British Americans Koreans Chinese Australians etc etc came in and start investing mostly to enable them to have some type of income to support their filipina wives and filipino childrens future's.Example look at the resort areas and you will see expats building small (but economic funds drivers) hotels or restaurants and bars clubs etc etc ... Without the expats original plans years back to develop some type of establishment to feed their expat family how many filipino's would of been without a job?I can look back and remember when I stayed in Bohol Panglao how one british guy had workers(6-8) for over a year every day except sunday.Lots of pesos there into the economy dont you think?And Sam Rohrer a memeber here spent maybe $100,000 in 4-5 years building his home and property and even providing a place for his workers to stay. What about all these gated communities who would buy or rent them out if no expats surely not the 64% of filipino;s in poverty. So many more aspects to this topic then has even begun to be discussed.. Expats have alot more bearance on this economy then meets the eye.... As a group surely we would have some better options. Even if we are a small group I think I read over 180,000 expats live in the Philippines and that was dated a few years ago.Correct not many compared to 84 million Filipino... But our combined monetary contribution especially in the beginning has indeed had a substantial affect to the countries growth. Look forward to hearing more from others Warlord

Edited by Warlord
  • Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Here's another way that the Philippines is shooting themselves in the foot. Approximately every year, we 'perpetual tourists' have to leave the country on a visa run. Each year it is like a vacation in another country where those like me will drop 2 or 3K US dollars. I haven't taken a vacation in Boracay. I would like to, but I need to leave the country once a year so I take my vacation then. I know I am not the only one. That is a lot of tourist dollars being purposely sent out of the country.

ekimswish
Posted
Posted
Question is, who loses more: Philippines and expat dollars; or expats and Filipinas?
Not sure what you mean by this question. What would the expat or his filipina wife or girlfriend lose if they decided that a different country would be a better place to live?
I meant that the foreigner leaves the Philippines to live somewhere else, girl not included. He could probably go live in a cheap Central American country, or somewhere else in South East Asia. I just don't think the women would be AS easy to get. Not un-gettable.... just not AS gettable. So while everything else in his expat life might improve, sexual frustration could bring him back to the good ol' P of I

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

I agree it's all about economics and if one isn't happy with their present day situation in the Philippines, just move on to greener pastures, it's as simple as that! Someone mentioned Costa Rica, Mexico, Panama or other Asian countries! Even in the U.S. it is getting cheaper some say! Anyway, one will do what one has to do to find theirhappiness where ever that may be! Yeah, but I know the only reason why most foreigners are here is because of their Filipino wives, girl friends and wives to be! Well, good luck and best wishes with your Filipina soul mates! Sometimes, it's just them that matters and nothing else!

• Like 3

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Interesting bill introduced in May which at least has kind words about foreigners, so maybe someone appreciates us and the money we spend in the PHL. Maybe there is hope yet? :wt-hell:SB 2383 So while I doubt it will ever become law, it is nice to know that at least someone thinks about the contribution we make to the economy of the PHL.

However, there is a sector of elderly members in the society that has beenoverlooked even i f their contributions have been just as relevant and considerable. Theseare the foreign nationals who have relocated to the Philippines and chosen the country astheir second home.
post-40-0-61320200-1314806533_thumb.jpg
  • Like 2

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

It is refreshing to see someone in the RP govt willing to give us "foreigners" some rights" But, unfortunately, due to strong "Nationalism" here, it will never happen. But you never know, miracles still happen.