Catherine, Denden And Venus Squatter / Street Kids

Bruce
Posted
Posted (edited)
Hi Bruce,I have developed an interest in helping Philippine street children. At the present time, this is through small financial contributions and sending balikbayan boxes containing odds & ends to a small non-profit group that is managing a children's shelter in Metro Manila. The long-term end results are unknown. I suppose the children appreciate the occasional hot meals and the medical care provided by nursing students from a nearby university.Your situation is more intriguing because of the direct link between the sponsor and the recipients. It is something to consider if my wife and I decide to relocate to the Philippines in retirement. JJR
Well it is a good idea. You will meet many who will give you their opinion, mostly negative ... why aren't you helping Americans, or you are wasting your money and things like that. A few positive comments but don't think they will help!So up front I say that whatever I do is a total loss from a financial stand point. Get me nothing in the long run. BUT, it does make a positive impact on those few kids that I do help and there are a lot of kids and some adults alive now because I have a stock pile of medicines and have on occasion, paid the hospital bills for meds only (usually under 2,000p). I do not expect the kids I am paying for school to graduate or to become lawyers or doctors. just get enough education to function in society! If you want to see Marina and Jennifer, look on my website www.philippinebasicneeds.com and use the video gallery button on the left to see the short video of the small hospital I am renovating. There are some pictures in that video of some kids in a park and 2 girls up on a statue base who are hugging (before Jennifer asked me about school!). Freeze the video then to see the girls. I think Marina has a yellow shirt on. Since school fees are really cheap as compared to the US, see if you can work up some local support in your area for a family to support 1 kid (usually less than $100 a year) for school related things.In my area, there are no trash dumps or other things that the squatters use to go thru and earn money. It is mostly fishing and agriculture there. So their kids are often forced to work instead of going to school. A balikbayan box of things, other than clothing, is often a life saver with basic drug store over the counter childrens and adult medications, school supplies and of course US chocolates!My attorney friend says he spends more on a dinner out than it takes to help a kid go to school there in Samar. So he helps every time I go back. He get nothing in return but a good feling and sometimes a thank you letter from the school. Edited by Bruce
  • Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Hi Bruce,What is the mailing address to send a balikbayan box to Catbalogan, Samar? The items will be odds and ends, including kitchenwares to either use or resell.Forexworld, Inc. offers door-to-door service. They deliver the empty box to my office and I phone them when the box is filled. Their rate from Honolulu to anywhere in Metro Manila is $60 for the largest one plus $5 for the cardboard container. I believe the shipping rate will probably be closer to $100 for Samar. Aloha - J.J. Reyes

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted
Hi Bruce,What is the mailing address to send a balikbayan box to Catbalogan, Samar? The items will be odds and ends, including kitchenwares to either use or resell.Forexworld, Inc. offers door-to-door service. They deliver the empty box to my office and I phone them when the box is filled. Their rate from Honolulu to anywhere in Metro Manila is $60 for the largest one plus $5 for the cardboard container. I believe the shipping rate will probably be closer to $100 for Samar. Aloha - J.J. Reyes
Sounds good. If you have an office open to the public, you can put up a box and then put a sign on it for your customers to see for donations. Old calculators, cell phones with sim card slots, anything that fits!I use forex here. Right now, from Florida it is $109 to Manila and $119 to Samar. But there was a 'sale' so to anywhere was the $109 as of last month. Box is free here. So if you pay $60 to Manila, it should be less than $100 to Samar. AND! I can give you a receipt if you send me your mailing address so if you itemize your taxes you can take it off as a donation. Pam says she sent you an email a month ago about the mp3 language players she is using with the local kids.Pam Valenzuela410 Purok 9Canlapwas, CatbaloganSamar, Philippines 6700Thanks again......The forex people know her well as I have sent over 20 boxes so far in 3 years.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Hi Bruce,Our office is not open to the public. There is already a donation bin at the building lobby for Special Olympics Hawaii. Yes, I received Pam's email regarding the Mp3 players.The local Forexworld agent either closed or moved offices. I phoned the LBC agent. Their door-to-door delivery charge to Catbalogan, Samar is $65.00 + $5.00 for the box.In my opinion, the best way to help the Philippines is to create in-country employment opportunities. I have an idea, sort of medically related, which I would like your feedback. It will be sent via email.JJR

• Like 1