Asians And Alcohol

Bruce
Posted
Posted (edited)

As a reply to another post on the respect for human life, there was a reply post that Asians do not handle alcohol very well. Actually, Asians handle alcohol very well. It is not the alcohol per se that causes problem, but instead the local culture is the souce of problems whilst drinking alcohol. While I don't like to use the words good / best and bad / worst, we all understand them. There is an enzyme in our blood that breaks down the alcohol and assists the liver in removing it from our systems. Asian (Japanese actually) have the highest consentration, American Indians have the lowest, and we whites and blacks fall somewhere in the middle. Pinoys are not true Asians, but are a hybred blend of mutiple cultures... (However, on a personal note, I do find it annoying that east Indians and pakistanis say they are from Asia! Will someone PLEASE correct the map!) This is why the Japanese can drink you under the table until 3am, go home, sleep and get up at 6 for work and have no hangover. The American Indians are by this time, passed out under said table and will be hung over for the next day or so. Now the culture aspect.... The Japanese live in a very structured society. real lines drawn as to acceptable behaviors and how to act. Even whilst drunk, they are still functioning on these well learned rules of behavior, however somewhat relaxed as they sing and dance and stumble around drunk. The Jap is generally a happy drunk. However in countries that have much more relaxed social behavior guidelines, those individuals, whilst drunk, often act out and are violent. Alcohol acts as an amplifier. If you are a happy person, you are more likely to be a happy drunk. If you are a depressed angry person, then expect an even more depressed gloomy arrogant drunk. If your best friend is your machette, then expect to be grabbing it and yelling and acting out with it. While the Japs have swords, they are more revered and ceremonial / traditionally respected. The pinoys have machettes which are used as tools and to protect the house in case someone breaks in at night. I believe that the Pinoys handle their alcohol ok, but they do not have the social structure or personal discipline that controls their behavoirs once the alcohol takes effect and loosens their self control.

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 5

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Actually, Asians handle alcohol very well. It is not the alcohol per se that causes problem, but instead the local culture is the souce of problems whilst drinking alcohol. There is an enzyme in our blood that breaks down the alcohol and assists the liver in removing it from our systems. Asian (Japanese actually) have the highest consentration, American Indians have the lowest, and we whites and blacks fall somewhere in the middle. Pinoys are not true Asians, but are a hybred blend of mutiple cultures...
I would like to know the test results for a broad sampling of Filipinos before I would believe they can handle their liquor because I have seen many who seem to not handle their liquor well. So that makes me wonder if it could be the type of liquor they drink, that would change their behavior? The reason I ask is because the poorer Filipinos that I know seem to drink a lot of Tanduay and or Tuba, and according to the page I provided " It is said that only tough men can withstand the effect of Tuba that affects men’s senses and sanity." So I wonder if it is drinking Tuba more than just drinking, that is causing many of the problems we read about?
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
i am bob
Posted
Posted

Of course there are always exceptions....My ex, a Taiwanese lady, would put a tablespoon of my beer in her juice or root beer and be drunk at the end of her one drink... And while I was younger I was quite capable of drinking extreme copious amounts of beer til 3 am and then be at work for 7 the next morning without a hangover and/or not still be drunk... Of course now I have 2 beers and I'm good for the week with a hangover throughout! Ow!

• Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted

It is not the getting drunk part, but the processing of the alcohol and the hangover part that asians, especially our Japanese friends....

ekimswish
Posted
Posted
It is not the getting drunk part, but the processing of the alcohol and the hangover part that asians, especially our Japanese friends....
I'm curious about this because I lived nearly 5 years in Korea, one of the most alcoholic cultures in the world. I know the younger or less experienced Koreans couldn't handle their alcohol at all, but by the time they hit 30 years old, they should be well used to it. From Monday to Friday, anytime I left the house at 6am for work, I would still see Koreans drinking in a local restaurant not having been home yet. When I would teach those business classes, a lot of them were coming off a binge where they only got two or three hours of sleep. It's not that they seemed to handle it well, but I know Korean pharmacies sell a lot of hangover drinks and medicines which the working class consume regularly.I know that my own ability to drink skyrocketed while living in Korea, but it was just from the constant practice I got.Anyways, just wondering if you meant they can drink more (doubt it, i think it depends more on body size in general), or if you meant they recover faster (I wouldn't be surprised).

Bruce
Posted
Posted

With that enzyme, they process alcohol faster and with less hangover effects. Not that they can drink more or not get as drunk but from a statistical; stand point, they can drink to 3, go home and be at work at 7 looking well and not complaining. Compare to the American Indian who processes alcohol poorly and drink for drink, he is down into a drunk faster and longer. However, he may be able to drink more. The average human liver can process about 1 oz of alcohol per hour. But the Asians do it in a way that has far less side effects.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
Of course there are always exceptions....My ex, a Taiwanese lady, would put a tablespoon of my beer in her juice or root beer and be drunk at the end of her one drink... And while I was younger I was quite capable of drinking extreme copious amounts of beer til 3 am and then be at work for 7 the next morning without a hangover and/or not still be drunk... Of course now I have 2 beers and I'm good for the week with a hangover throughout! Ow!
Interesting, I had a Taiwanese GF many years ago too. One weak drink and she was under the table, but in a not good way. If you don't mind my asking, was your GF's ethnicity Taiwanese or Taiwan Chinese?Do any forum members know of Filipinas who can drink? None that we know drink at all. Just curious.

i am bob
Posted
Posted
Interesting, I had a Taiwanese GF many years ago too. One weak drink and she was under the table, but in a not good way. If you don't mind my asking, was your GF's ethnicity Taiwanese or Taiwan Chinese?Do any forum members know of Filipinas who can drink? None that we know drink at all. Just curious.
She was of Chinese descent... Oh how I struggled with Mandarin! Thank god her English was excellent!

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
She was of Chinese descent... Oh how I struggled with Mandarin! Thank god her English was excellent!
My friend was Taiwanese. I was able to get by very basic Mandarin, my wife still gives me a hard time about "Those Chinese Girls" got no good answer to that one. :hystery: :mocking:
  • Like 1

Bundy
Posted
Posted

All very interesting but i wonder what are the statistics on which people have enough brainpower to know when to STOP drinking? or to be able to realise when they've had enough?My Father-in-Law basically drank himself to death, very sad, we did all we could for him while he was alive. I tend to agree with Bruce on this one and think that the local culture is a major contributing factor in alcohol abuse.As for me these days,two or three beers is plenty for me.