Moving To The Philippines Was The Best Decision I Ever Made!

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Here's part of Kuya Lee's thread I borrowed from his OP in rebuttal to Travis's negative comments and posted it here, but I totally agree on all of Kuya Lee's comments!*The restaurant food is inexpensive when a person knows where to eat. *Most of the local people are very friendly and helpful.*The malls are excellent and quite a few are better than any I have seen in the US, *Makati comes to mind.*The movies are inexpensive.*Taxis in Cebu are old as you say but inexpensive to take, yet we found Taxis in CDO were mostly new and still inexpensive to take.*Jeepneys are very inexpensive to take between places.*Flights within the country are reasonable.*Free incoming calls and text on cell phones, and reasonable unlimited phone call deals within carrier.*Inexpensive cable TV and it has gotten better over time since they now even have Fox News.*Inexpensive water and inexpensive drinking water.*Inexpensive phone and DSL deals.*Most businesses treat us with a high degree of respect.*But corn flakes are cheaper in Florida than it is in Cebu! I am sure there are many other good things I could think of, so while there is a lot of bad, things have gotten much better in the last 17 plus years that I have been going back and forth, and there is also a lot of good, and the most important good to me, is that my wife was born there. Kuya Lee As for me and my wife, we are both Fil/Ams and been living in the Philippines going on 13 yrs now and it looks like we will stay here permanently, because it's our roots and we are happy here even though we live in a 3rd world country with all it's faults and drawbacks, but we are sort of living the American dream in the Philippines, we own our own home, we don't have any bills and we have an adequate source of income from my retirement pensions! Life is grand when a plan comes together in the end after taking a leap of faith moving to the Philippines at an early age of 50, I retired at age 49 with 30 years of U.S. Government service, but I didn't start to collect all of my pensions until I was 60 and 62! I'm 63 now and we are now both "Happy Campers" in the Philippines! As I alway say, "Life is what we all make it to be"! "It's always a matter of money", either you have or you don't! If you don't, you're SOL to begin with and life will be miserable no matter what you do! And that's why we sometimes read about grumpy and bitter old expats always complaining how their lives have turned out for the worst in the Philippines and returned to their home country! Living here in the Philippines isn't for everyone, it takes a lot of effort to adjust to the lifestyle, culture and environment here if one hasn't planned their trip here in advance and making certain that they have an adequate source of income! Art

Edited by Art2ro
  • Like 5

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I am very happy it is all working out for you Art, and the area you live seems to be a very good one to live in. :nudie: As you say, it is often all about money, since it takes money to buy the things to make us happy. My wife and I bought our condos at the correct time IMO, or today we might not be able to afford to buy the same units, or I would probably not do so because things are now less expensive here in Florida, so the money they now cost might have been better invested here for us, but at the same time I am very happy we own the units we bought. Timing is often very important, as well as having the money. Hopefully more people who are happy living in the Philippines will post their stories too.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I to love the Philippines in spite of the random pee on the wall incidences. :nudie:

• Like 2

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

I guess there's a small percentage of retirees or vacationers that are happy why they moved or came to visit the Philippines since I didn't get too many positive comments on this topic! It's seems to be always being a matter of money which alot of retirees or pooreigners don't have enough of, therefore making one's life miserable in the Philippines and Travis was one such of an example!

Edited by Art2ro
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Art as you all know, I have yet to retire there, but have visited our home quite often, so I feel semi qualified to offer an opinion as to why you dont get a lot of positive comments............the happy retired guys are to busy being happy to tell us how happy they are!

• Like 5

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Well this is my fourth visit and I plan on staying until April 2012, so far so good I hope it stays this way.

• Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
Well this is my fourth visit and I plan on staying until April 2012, so far so good I hope it stays this way.
Good for you! Enjoy your vacation and have fun from start to finish! :thumbsup:

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
Hi Art my plan is to only go back to the uk for 1 month next April. I have to sort out my income tax and make sure my tenants and property are ok and pay some bills that at this time can only be paid in person also to catch up with the few friends I have who actually still live in the uk (most of them left years ago). CheersKevin

Bundy
Posted
Posted
Hi Art my plan is to only go back to the uk for 1 month next April. I have to sort out my income tax and make sure my tenants and property are ok and pay some bills that at this time can only be paid in person also to catch up with the few friends I have who actually still live in the uk (most of them left years ago).CheersKevin
I see a lot of similarities here in what we're trying to do. Keep your posts comming and best of luck to you. :unsure:

Travis
Posted
Posted

happy it worked for you Art