Epic Fail... Philippines Educational System

Jake
Posted
Posted
Got to thinking about what were my most memorable education experiences as related by fellow expats regarding their children within the Philippine system . Two quickes that were recently shared via a local expat forum come to mind . One was about the grade schoolers that practised for weeks to put on a show about the " country " of Hawaii . Best though may be about the lady that was trying to pass a Teacher exam to teach English Literature and had failed 4 times . Thinking it might have been because she had never heard of a guy named Shakespeare :-)Feel free to share anecdotal experience . :-)
Well, let's see.....based on my current turd grade edju-mafication, I would hazard to guess that Shaky-speerwas a local tropical drink in the city of Hawaii....he, he.To this day, I'm still a little embarrassed about my lack of English when I first immigrated to the States. Evennow, my sisters will never let me forget about my first encounter of a big kano:http://www.philippin...dpost__p__56218To be or not to be, that is the answer....huh?
  • Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well Jake all I can say is for being such a bobo Pilipino (as you so eloquently put it) you sure made something out of your life ...... you did a hell'va better job than I did and I lived in the US almost all my life and speak english .... well sort've :hystery: ...... you are to be commended .... :AddEmoticons04230:

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Jake - back then you were just learning English when you were talking to the pharmacist.... The pharmacist I go to now sounds like you did then.... I have no idea anything he ever says to me!!! And he was born here!!!When we were talking the other day I can honestly say you sounded like a natural Kano... sorry! (Oh, those darn Canadians,,, hehe!)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
jpbago
Posted
Posted

How to become "educated" without knowledge: We often hear about how well the filipinos are educated yet when we talk to them, they don't know sheep sh&t from cherry pits. I was looking over some exams as to the percentages of pass or fail and was astounded. When the mark is 32 out of 65, the grade is 75%. When I divide 32 by 65, the grade is 49.2%, a failure so I asked why. The explanation I got was that 49% is too low so the teacher adds 25 to make it a pass at 75%. If adding 25 points does not reach 75, then they re-write the exam but this time the passing mark is 60%. They need to get only 35%, then add 25 points to bring it to 60 to make a pass so that everyone looks good. And they keep on re-writing the same exam until they get 35%. I saw numerous examples of this from a private school 4th year UNOR.

Two more examples of poor education and the government being aware of it are the highway and bridges are being rebuilt for 30 kilometers south of Bacolod. The engineers are from China. A new highway was built from the airport to Bacolod. The engineers were from Korea. What? No engineers in PI with a population of 104 million educated people. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I don't dispute what you are saying but its not that simple. Most skilled educated Filipino technical experts would be working overseas.

There are a large number of very intelligent well educated Filipinos but not so many in Philippines.

• Like 3

sjp52
Posted
Posted

I personally feel that education isn't really a priority in the RP because it is a good way to stay in power. If you have an educated well fed population they have more time to look at the situation and get more involved the system. Think about it, would a well educated population even consider electing a popular boxer who has no education or qualifications whatsoever to a responsible government position? For the wealthy few who control most of the money in the country and are well connected and have family members in government positions, its all about maintaining that hold on the country and the way to maintain that hold is to keep the masses hungry and uneducated. Doug

I was thinking the same thing when the US elected an Actor for presiden t( Reagan ) and an Actor for Governer ( Arnold )

• Like 1

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted
Think about it, would a well educated population even consider electing a popular boxer who has no education or qualifications whatsoever to a responsible government position?

Arnold Schwarzenegger came to my mind...but I digress  :lol:

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Think about it, would a well educated population even consider electing a popular boxer who has no education or qualifications whatsoever to a responsible government position?

Arnold Schwarzenegger came to my mind...but I digress  :lol:

By the age of 30, Schwarzenegger was a millionaire, well before his career in Hollywood. His financial independence came from his success as a budding entrepreneur with a series of successful business ventures and investments.

Now that is the kind of person that you want to be in a responsible government position.

Thomas
Posted
Posted
But when excisting - high educated - politicians DON'T act responcible,

then is ANYONE responsible better than them...   :)