My Top 5 Criteria For Living In The Philippines

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
~60 points.I don't live in Philippines and we don't plan on moving there in the future.
We've lived here in the Philippines going on 13 years now, but I can't definitively say that we will stay and live here forever, but we are giving it a shot, for now that is! Life can sometime be uncertain due to our circumstances through out our lives! So, nothing can be indefinite, but living in the U.S. may well be, because of all the advantages in a 1st world country that a 3rd world country can not provide every member of the family unit especially young children or teenagers! For most old farts like myself and others without any family ties is different though! We can do whatever we like anywhere at any time as long as we have our good health!
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
~60 points.I don't live in Philippines and we don't plan on moving there in the future.
But, even though you have no plan to move here, it sounds like your heart is willing. Actually, there is one more criteria that is important and I forgot to mention. The ability to put up with bad odors, loud music, (loud noise in general), and inefficiency. I find that my ability to put up with things like that changes with my mood so it would be hard to alter my lifestyle criteria based on my mood of the week. So the conclusion is to leave it the way I posted it.
You are correct Dave... my wife and I would live in Philippines several months every year if my two younger boys were grown and on their own. I have very close friends and family living in Philippines and China.

• 1 month later...
KanoJoe
Posted
Posted

Being an unmarried, middle-aged western male with an above-average libido, the only reason that I would relocate to the PI would be for the panocha... As others have noted, it costs as much in the PI as it does in the US to have a western standard of living... The upside would outweigh the downside when it comes to the attention that Kanos receive from young, nubile pinays... For you married guys, I understand completely as the "boss" usually gets what she wants and if she is a Filipina or Fil/Am and wants to be close to her family, then you are along for the ride and of course to foot the bill...

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

As I am presently single and living in Canada with a heart problem, I probably shouldn't even think of moving to the Philippines... But you know what? I'm not gonna sit here freezing my butt off in the cold when I could be out doing something I enjoy or even simply prefer... If it gets to the point that I have to come back to Canada for the medical, I will but my doc says that (with my family's medical history), I"ll probably outlive him and he's 20 years younger than me... So, I"m gonna score me a whopping XX percent and head on over!!!

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I only got a 60 but part of that was money (800) but that is a big reason I have not moved over there yet. The other hit on my score was health. I do a bit of a headache. It's a 24/7 for the last 19 years kind of a headache, and a few seizures a week to go along with it (and a whole list of other sh&t). It looks like a stroke, it freaks people out - pretty cool. The only part I enjoy is the vertigo, it makes me feel like I'm on a roller coaster all the time. :tiphat: The VA pays me for it but not really enough. They call it a migraine and migraines max out at 50%. But my health won't change no matter I live. And it hasn't killed me yet. So I may as well go somewhere I enjoy. Life is too short to be miserable.

• Like 4

volstateguy
Posted
Posted

Good topic Dave.1. Sex drive. I turn 40 this year and its still going strong. I cant see it falling off in the next couple years when it time to retire and move to the Philippines. So 30 points.2. Funds. My pension will be a bit under $2000 after taxes, but i will have a bit of savings too. 20 points.3. Alcohol and social life. I meet people pretty easy and with my laid back nature I can get along with almost anyone. I definitely enjoy a cold san miguel, but I don't drink as much as in my 20s. 10 points.4. Health. My knees give me trouble occasionally but great health otherwise. 13 points.5. Misc. No way I'm not gonna enjoy my retirement. 15 points.88 points overallHopefully the next 1-2 years passes by really fast.

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Good post Dave ..... here's how I stack up1. 30 .... not brag just fact ..... if you asked me 5 years ago when I was in the US I would have said 15 .... guess something good changed with me coming here ...... :hystery:2. 15 ..... on SS but with some savings3. 0 ....... yea I know gonna surprise some of you but I don't socialize ...... sorry just the way I roll4. 15 ..... have no health problems at this time .... am over weight and it may effect me in time but not as of now5. 12 ..... have several hobbies but my computer takes up most of my timetotal ...... 72

• Like 2

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Yeah thanks Dave for reminding us all why we all live in the Philippines! :tiphat:

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
I only got a 60 but part of that was money (800) but that is a big reason I have not moved over there yet. The other hit on my score was health. I do a bit of a headache. It's a 24/7 for the last 19 years kind of a headache, and a few seizures a week to go along with it (and a whole list of other sh&t). It looks like a stroke, it freaks people out - pretty cool. The only part I enjoy is the vertigo, it makes me feel like I'm on a roller coaster all the time. :tiphat: The VA pays me for it but not really enough. They call it a migraine and migraines max out at 50%.But my health won't change no matter I live. And it hasn't killed me yet. So I may as well go somewhere I enjoy. Life is too short to be miserable.
If you ever make it to the Philippines, it sounds to me you will eventually have a smile on your face when you die with your boots on and not necessarily with boots on the ground! "Live long and prosper"! post-682-0-14770500-1327467256_thumb.jpg

KanoJoe
Posted
Posted
Being an unmarried, middle-aged western male with an above-average libido, the only reason that I would relocate to the PI would be for the panocha... As others have noted, it costs as much in the PI as it does in the US to have a western standard of living... The upside would outweigh the downside when it comes to the attention that Kanos receive from young, nubile pinays... For you married guys, I understand completely as the "boss" usually gets what she wants and if she is a Filipina or Fil/Am and wants to be close to her family, then you are along for the ride and of course to foot the bill...
Sorry Dave, but meandered into a rant without answer the poll questions... I am obviously interested in the Pi or I would not be on this forum and would not have traveled around the country many times... 1. Sex drive. 30 points - I have to give my self a 30 on this point also... The problem with the PI is not finding one pinay to spend time with, it's beating them off with a stick... It can at times be daunting and yes, gives a person that rock-star feeling with all the attention a western male receives... Quick example, I was in Ayala Mall in Cebu standing outside the ladies CR waiting for a little friend who was inside... While standing there less than 5 minutes, 2 other girls came up to me separately, starting a conversation wanting to know if I have a GF, blah, blah, blah... This sort of thing NEVER happens to me ANYWHERE else on the planet but the Philippines... 2. Funding. 25 points - I have enough to live comfortably with a pension, investments and SS in a few years... The question in the PI would be where... If I were to settle in the PI it probably be in Tagatay, Davao or Cebu... 3. Alcohol and social life. 15 points - I am not a big drinker, unless I start on shots of tequila, then the devil emerges and I start dancing on the tables... lol... Social life is very important to me and part of the reason for going expat... I have more expat friends than I do friends at home... 4. Health Issues. 10 points - Where ever I go I will have a global heath program to cover any unforeseen health issues... 5. Miscelaneous. 15 points - Am I having fun? I have worked for damn near 40 years, you bet your bippy I want to have fun in whatever country I reside... If it ain't fun anymore, I move on...
  • Like 3