All Travellers To Philippines Read This !

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

The article maybe true, but as I see it, hey what's the darn rush anyway when one is on vacation or retired! Patience is always a virtue when one isn't in any rush, always polite, prepared what is being brought into any country and within the allowable weight limit! Just know all of the ins & outs of an airport and their immigration laws and policies and no one shouldn't have any problems, except for those disgruntled dunderheads with a chip on their shoulder who are always ill prepared no matter what their situations or circumstances may be! It just takes a little bit of common sense, patience and always being polite! :)

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

The problem is that many of us come here with a first world mind and that can get us in trouble if we do not do as told. Even back in our own country, I have seen people disrespect those in charge at the airports and suffer the consequences. One American or green card holder (that was what the line was for) in California also did not see the sense in going round and round in the immigration lines, so he opened up the rope and quickly received the ire of one of the officers hiding and watching for such things. This fellow was then sent to the back of the line and was still waiting long after my wife and I picked up our suitcases and left the airport.Another guy I saw who was wearing sunglasses got yelled at to take them off and was a wise guy and then put them back on after the officer left, what he did not realize is the facial recognition cameras all around, or maybe he did and that was why he was wearing the sun glasses, well some officers came back to get him and off they took him, so who knows what happened to him and it can happen anywhere and not just in the Philippines.Those of us who are not Filipino, are guests in their country and should act as we would hope guests in our own respective countries should act. Getting blacklisted would be a terrible thing for many of us, so why even chance it with an attitude, I have found a friendly smile, a cheerful good morning or good evening and joking around nicely always seems to work for me and we have even had our tickets upgraded for free because of the way I treat the people working at the airport. And as Art wrote, what is the rush anyway. You can most always get more with sugar than vinegar anywhere in the world.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
The problem is that many of us come here with a first world mind and that can get us in trouble if we do not do as told. Even back in our own country, I have seen people disrespect those in charge at the airports and suffer the consequences. One American or green card holder (that was what the line was for) in California also did not see the sense in going round and round in the immigration lines, so he opened up the rope and quickly received the ire of one of the officers hiding and watching for such things. This fellow was then sent to the back of the line and was still waiting long after my wife and I picked up our suitcases and left the airport.Another guy I saw who was wearing sunglasses got yelled at to take them off and was a wise guy and then put them back on after the officer left, what he did not realize is the facial recognition cameras all around, or maybe he did and that was why he was wearing the sun glasses, well some officers came back to get him and off they took him, so who knows what happened to him and it can happen anywhere and not just in the Philippines.Those of us who are not Filipino, are guests in their country and should act as we would hope guests in our own respective countries should act. Getting blacklisted would be a terrible thing for many of us, so why even chance it with an attitude, I have found a friendly smile, a cheerful good morning or good evening and joking around nicely always seems to work for me and we have even had our tickets upgraded for free because of the way I treat the people working at the airport. And as Art wrote, what is the rush anyway. You can most always get more with sugar than vinegar anywhere in the world.
In a perfect world we would be treated as guests and our hosts would be appreciative of our spending our hard earned monies in their struggling countries but that's not the way it sometimes is.The problem with these stories is that they are either from unverifiable anonymous sources or it's "I heard this and that" or like the guy in the sunglasses, "who knows what happened". That's the point, you don't know. I don't discount anything I read on the internet but I don't automatically take it as gospel either. You cited a first hand experience of a fellow traveler who was made to wait longer because he didn't follow the rules. Fine and good but that's a long way from being deported. As for the guy in the sunglasses, "who knows"?

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Anyone dealing with people would be considered to be in the customer service business. Main problem is people bringing their problems with them to work. When I see a rude or inattentive person I try to think of what else could have happened to them earlier in the day. What can I do to put this person at ease? If they are pissed off at something there is usually some underlying cause. You have a choice to feed the fire or try to extinguish it to some degree.We always hear about "Pride" being so important in Philippines. Pride may be all that official really has. If they had a fight with a significant other or has a child in the hospital, you can expect them to have a short fuse. But how do you know they are having a bad day? Of course this is a two way street. A well trained courteous customer service representative can defuse most irate customers. A customer can also influence the behavior of a representative if they are willing to put forth effort.This is my approach to immigration authorities. Of course I am tired after a 12+ hour flight in coach class. Wow! so happy to be off that plane. How is your day? From there you can judge what their attitude is at the time. I always have a folder with all my return tickets printed out. Never have they asked how long I plan to stay or to see my return ticket. One of these days I am sure someone will ask. No use getting complacent about it and blurt out "You never asked for it before"! When alone they give me 21 days when with my wife it is the 1 year balikbayan.

• Like 2

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)
In a perfect world we would be treated as guests and our hosts would be appreciative of our spending our hard earned monies in their struggling countries but that's not the way it sometimes is.The problem with these stories is that they are either from unverifiable anonymous sources or it's "I heard this and that" or like the guy in the sunglasses, "who knows what happened". That's the point, you don't know. I don't discount anything I read on the internet but I don't automatically take it as gospel either. You cited a first hand experience of a fellow traveler who was made to wait longer because he didn't follow the rules. Fine and good but that's a long way from being deported. As for the guy in the sunglasses, "who knows"?
Agreed Mike.BTW both those cases were in the US where people seem to have some rights. The guy with the sunglasses was taken away by two officers rather harshly and he was not happy about it, so while I have no idea what the outcome, he still had some rights in the US, if he was a US citizen or a green card holder, I only wish we had the same amount of rights when we are in the Philippines but it would appear we do not from all I have read. The only point I wished to make with my post is that either we try to be nice, or we MAY suffer the consequences. Each of us has the choice as to what chances they wish to take but even in the US, I would prefer to be nice to people until such time as they make it impossible.A couple of people I personally know in Cebu, one an American and the other a westerner from another country which I do not wish to state in case he might read this, both have treated Filipinos poorly in front of me and neither had ended up deported, I guess it is the luck of the draw and who we piss off. Pissing off anyone in govt would most likely end up in deportation or blacklisting from what I have been personally told by some who have had it happen to friends, yet as you say, it was second hand and I do not know anyone personally who has met that fate, I just do not wish to be the first one I know who does. Edited by Mr. Lee

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

They are getting like a first world country. I had a similar problem with US customs on a trip to LAX. The immigration lady was in a grumpy mood and I responded in kind. She offered to deport me to Mexico. I was coming from Canada. She left no doubt in my mind that she could 'fix it' so I was deported to Mexico.I have relatives working at immigration in Canada. They would do the same thing if anyone gave them attitude and with the union they have theirs not a dam thing anyone could do about it. In some ways the PSAC is a tough union.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
They are getting like a first world country. I had a similar problem with US customs on a trip to LAX. The immigration lady was in a grumpy mood and I responded in kind. She offered to deport me to Mexico. I was coming from Canada. She left no doubt in my mind that she could 'fix it' so I was deported to Mexico.I have relatives working at immigration in Canada. They would do the same thing if anyone gave them attitude and with the union they have theirs not a dam thing anyone could do about it. In some ways the PSAC is a tough union.
If you express hostile anti-American sentiments or are vocally sympathetic to terrorist groups it will cause you to be denied U.S entry, not deported. No way grumpy qualifies. If you were denied you would return to the country of origination, not Mexico. She was running her mouth, these people aren't all-powerful.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
In hindsight you would have asked if she could deport you to the Philippines. :)

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Another guy I saw who was wearing sunglasses got yelled at to take them off and was a wise guy and then put them back on after the officer left, what he did not realize is the facial recognition cameras all around, or maybe he did and that was why he was wearing the sun glasses, well some officers came back to get him and off they took him, so who knows what happened to him and it can happen anywhere and not just in the Philippines.
Most of the problem started when he got YELLED at,any reason to yell at someone if you are a professional security officer or whatever? Goes back to what you say, (You can most always get more with sugar than vinegar anywhere in the world).Going back to the topic of being deported for attitude,maybe its rightfully so depending on the case but these guys at immigration are the front line for what will either increase tourism and the dollars that go with it or to gain the country a bad reputation of not foreigner friendly which will eventually blow the tourism ministers job and dreams out the window.I must say I am very impressed each time I return to Australia at the polite friendly manner of those at immigration here in Australia and my experience in the Philippines airports has been mostly friendly but a few offices perhaps could have gave just a little more professionalism such as not just thumb me the way through after processing my passport.
  • Like 1

Garpo
Posted
Posted (edited)

I think as a government official in other countries it is expected that you will need to have a pretty thick skin. meaning that you are expected to put up with people that have attitude problems, etc.etc. etc. Especially when they are dealing with people from different cultures and ways of life. What might appear to be abusive and rude in one country or culture can be something completely different in a different country. I have had some bad experiences here in the Philippines at airports and also at immigration offices when dealing with Visa matters. I chalk most of these bad experiences up to lack of training on the part of the government officials. I have also witnessed some foreigners acting like total jerks in the way they treat Filipino's. Lets face it, there are quite a few undesirable foreigners that have come to the Philippines to escape from their pasts. I can certainly understand why some Filipino's have a negative view of us foreigners and our attitude of thinking we are better than them and looking down on them, yet they will often try to smile and walk away rather than have a confrontation. These jerks make it hard on all of us.Even though I have been here awhile and am married to a Filipina, I still have to remind myself that I am a guest in this country and it sure was a hell of a lot easier for me to come into their country than it would be for them to come into mine.

Edited by Garpo
  • Like 1