Price Increases

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted

I've been trying to book a resort in Siquijor for a short stay for 4 of us. Never believe the prices quoted in websites. One place, Coral Cay, apart from being fully booked seems to have increased prices 50% over last year. Has anyone else noticed the price hikes?Went to Camotes last year and a place mentioned in Lonely Planet at 500 peso turned out to be 3000peso plus. Apprently some of the rooms had been rebuilt over the 2 years since the book was produced.The PI is becoming very expensive or is it just me?

TheMason
Posted
Posted
I've been trying to book a resort in Siquijor for a short stay for 4 of us. Never believe the prices quoted in websites. One place, Coral Cay, apart from being fully booked seems to have increased prices 50% over last year. Has anyone else noticed the price hikes?Went to Camotes last year and a place mentioned in Lonely Planet at 500 peso turned out to be 3000peso plus. Apprently some of the rooms had been rebuilt over the 2 years since the book was produced.The PI is becoming very expensive or is it just me?
I've been looking at taking a 2 week trip to Palawan and Cebu but the prices are outrageous. I'd love to get off Luzon and see more of the Philippines, but for the prices they charge it's just not worth it. For the same money or less, I can go to Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia, or a host of other locations nearby.I suspect the prices are the primary reason for the meager tourist arrivals. The RP doesn't give you good value for the money.

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted

Indeed was looking at flights to Saigon on Cebu Pacific the other day. Accomodation much cheaper and so is everything else.Still cant understand why. Makes you think the PI is not as poor as they'd like you to think. Or is it tax (unlikely), staff costs (unlikely) or down right greed (probably).

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I

brock
Posted
Posted
I'm curious what the price would be quoted over the phone to a Filipino? Many times published or internet prices include the "Long-nose tax". Filipino's expect discounts, perhaps asking a high price is just the starting place for negotiation. Or those places may cater to Japanese and Korean people.
I agree, their are 2 prices in the Philippines, one for them and one for us, much better to get a Filipino to get a price for you, I dont mean this as an insult, its just a fact.

TheMason
Posted
Posted
I'm curious what the price would be quoted over the phone to a Filipino? Many times published or internet prices include the "Long-nose tax". Filipino's expect discounts, perhaps asking a high price is just the starting place for negotiation. Or those places may cater to Japanese and Korean people.
I agree, their are 2 prices in the Philippines, one for them and one for us, much better to get a Filipino to get a price for you, I dont mean this as an insult, its just a fact.
Even this doesn't work. I always have my wife call and check prices and reserve the rooms. When we get there and go to check in, what do you know, that room type is sold out. They're so sorry, but all they have left are higher priced rooms. Would we like a room at the higher price, or no room at all? We get that garbage about 50% of the time at hotels here.I don't even bother anymore. I just book via Agoda or AsiaRooms. At least that way, the room is paid for and I don't have to hassle with the front desk clerk.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Even this doesn't work. I always have my wife call and check prices and reserve the rooms. When we get there and go to check in, what do you know, that room type is sold out. They're so sorry, but all they have left are higher priced rooms. Would we like a room at the higher price, or no room at all? We get that garbage about 50% of the time at hotels here.I don't even bother anymore. I just book via Agoda or AsiaRooms. At least that way, the room is paid for and I don't have to hassle with the front desk clerk.
A good experiment would be for you to arrive well after your wife has checked in,they can't change the price if its booked and paid for a double.

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted
Nope, my SO does the enquiring over the phone. Been here long enough to know how things work, lolMost of these places are run by westerners anyway.

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
Sold out after I have a reservation. No problem I will be glad to accept the upgraded room at the same price. Or I just pick up my bags and walk out. I've never had trouble finding a cheaper room elsewhere. Next time have your wife check in before you show your face. See how they get around that one.

scianna54
Posted
Posted

I agree with what most posters say. Sending the wife first doesn't change anything from my experience. I just walk away. Many places just stay empty.What bothers me is also the stupidity of so called rich Filipinos from Manila and Cebu. They accept the package price where flight and room for lets say 5 days/3 nights is quoted/per person. Often, that price is more than if you would book flight and room separately.Actually I don't think anymore that it is us westerners who are driving up the prices, it it the so called rich Filipinos..