Metal Roofing Or ?

slim
Posted
Posted

Sure would appreaciate some advice on roofing in phils.? My builder wants to use painted baked metal roofing and I always thought the concrete or fiberglass in the states was the better roofing? I know nothing about the metal roofing except it was always noisy and seemed to leak in usa and that was mostly galvanized sheets> Any help ??

BobNChe
Posted
Posted

I have not seen one shingled roof here other than the slate/ceramic type which is very expensive. The vast majority use metal and as long as you get quality metal, install it properly and maintain it occasionally, should outlast you. LOLI have seen concrete used in commercial building but not homes.

slim
Posted
Posted
I have not seen one shingled roof here other than the slate/ceramic type which is very expensive. The vast majority use metal and as long as you get quality metal, install it properly and maintain it occasionally, should outlast you. LOLI have seen concrete used in commercial building but not homes.
what do you have to do to maintain it? I think it's metal but looks like tile - is that the same as what your talking about? thanks again

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Google "anodized aluminum roofing systems".

BobNChe
Posted
Posted
what do you have to do to maintain it? I think it's metal but looks like tile - is that the same as what your talking about? thanks again
Yes, it looks like tile. Maintenance is basically making sure there are no leaves or debris blocking the gutters where leaks may occur.

Mik
Posted
Posted (edited)

There is an American in Consolacion that is building a house with US style ordinary asphalt composition shingles over tarpaper and plywood.A nipa roof is a traditional alternative, if you don't mind insects and small animals living over your head.If you install a metal roof, be sure to clean it off after screwing it down. The metal filings from the screws will leave rust stains. The roof will last longer if you paint it every five years or so. There is a common type of color roof called Tilestar that looks like tile, and a type called Ribstar. There is also metal roofing that has insulation already bonded to the underside.

Edited by M.Morey

slim
Posted
Posted

Thanks everybody for the replies and I guess metal roofing is fine but it was just something I was not accustomed to and didn't know much about! Thanks again

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Sure would appreaciate some advice on roofing in phils.? My builder wants to use painted baked metal roofing and I always thought the concrete or fiberglass in the states was the better roofing? I know nothing about the metal roofing except it was always noisy and seemed to leak in usa and that was mostly galvanized sheets> Any help ??
Sounds to me that the builder is talking about what we call colorbond roofing in Australia,should last 30 or more years.Metal roofs are fine as long as it is laid correctly and the ridge capping's etc are covering the gaps. The 2 houses I built in Aus have a metal roof with no problems.Good to hear the rain on the roof while laying in bed :welcome:

til
Posted
Posted (edited)

I wonder why they don't use tiles though.I should have thought it heats up less. But maybe I'm mistaken.I'm thinking about these things lately, because when I marry my gf we might build a small cheap but sturdy kind of house on her piece of land, so we can stay there when we visit her family. Well actually that was her dads wish for the traditional(?) wedding present the father of the bride seems to get there.

Edited by til

tom_shor
Posted
Posted

Ceramic tiles are heavy. Have you seen the sticks they use for roof supports here? If you used metal trusses they could probably support the weight.