Local Coffee Recommendations

sjp52
Posted
Posted

Bo,s coffee shop will sell you frersh ground coffee I think 180 a pound almost the same price as a single coffee they sell

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

Old55, I sent you a private message but you can find it for sale online at http://www.arengga.com/ The 50 gram container is $70 and should make four or five cups, I think. The 100 gram container is $90 and makes twice as much. They containers come as two different roasts. Each container should be vacuum packed, with a seal around the lid and a serial number underneath. The containers can be purchased locally a bit cheaper if you boots on the ground in the Philippines. I was going offer a service of buying and shipping for a small fee since that can save members some money, but the forum rules preclude that. I understand why those rules are in place and do not want break or even bend them a little. The Kape Alamid online store is your best bet currently. i am bob ... Columbian? yeah, at Starbucks, maybe Po's or one of the other coffee shops. But why? Well, okay, bad me. I have my preferences too. I'd say find some of the local arabica being grown in the Philippines and give it a try. It is not shade grown Columbian but it is pretty good. High end coffee shops that do not necessarily roast, but that do carry an array of internationally grown coffee is your best choice. Not so much of it on the shelves of the local supermarkets. It is very cool you have actually tried the real civet coffee! Twice at that. How much was it going for when you purchased your brewed cups? You are not the first person I have read about that really disliked the civet coffee. I will balance that by mentioning the number of people that liked it far outweighs the number that don't based on what I've read. It would also depend on how it was roasted and prepared as well as the nature of the beans. And how it is served will make a difference. Most folks won't adulterate the civet coffee with cream or sugar even if that how they normally drink coffee. And then the coffee may well not meet their expectations since they are drinking something outside their envelope of preference. For me a good analogy is New York versus Chicago pizza. They both have admirers. For me Chicago style pizza is garbage. Edible garbage. It has nothing to add to a real pizza except excess, no nuance, no balance, simply excess. But to a Chicago pizza lover, it is the cat's pajamas! Which is fine. The world is not meant to be one size fits all.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted
Old55, I sent you a private message but you can find it for sale online at http://www.arengga.com/ The 50 gram container is $70 and should make four or five cups, I think. The 100 gram container is $90 and makes twice as much. They containers come as two different roasts. Each container should be vacuum packed, with a seal around the lid and a serial number underneath. The containers can be purchased locally a bit cheaper if you boots on the ground in the Philippines. I was going offer a service of buying and shipping for a small fee since that can save members some money, but the forum rules preclude that. I understand why those rules are in place and do not want break or even bend them a little. The Kape Alamid online store is your best bet currently. i am bob ... Columbian? yeah, at Starbucks, maybe Po's or one of the other coffee shops. But why? Well, okay, bad me. I have my preferences too. I'd say find some of the local arabica being grown in the Philippines and give it a try. It is not shade grown Columbian but it is pretty good. High end coffee shops that do not necessarily roast, but that do carry an array of internationally grown coffee is your best choice. Not so much of it on the shelves of the local supermarkets.It is very cool you have actually tried the real civet coffee! Twice at that. How much was it going for when you purchased your brewed cups? You are not the first person I have read about that really disliked the civet coffee. I will balance that by mentioning the number of people that liked it far outweighs the number that don't based on what I've read. It would also depend on how it was roasted and prepared as well as the nature of the beans. And how it is served will make a difference. Most folks won't adulterate the civet coffee with cream or sugar even if that how they normally drink coffee. And then the coffee may well not meet their expectations since they are drinking something outside their envelope of preference.For me a good analogy is New York versus Chicago pizza. They both have admirers. For me Chicago style pizza is garbage. Edible garbage. It has nothing to add to a real pizza except excess, no nuance, no balance, simply excess. But to a Chicago pizza lover, it is the cat's pajamas! Which is fine. The world is not meant to be one size fits all.
I can't remember exactly how much I paid for the Civet... I know it was kind of outrageous but I've always been a bit of a coffee lover and I was always trying new things. It was quite a while ago and during my "rich"days when money didn't matter - before my divorce and losing the business and the "country estate" hobby farm I had (and everything else I owned)... It's funny but I'm actually happier now that I only have my military pension!As for the Columbian, I have to laugh... I never knew it was also made from Arabica beans until earlier this week - I thought the bean was actually a "Columbian" bean before this.. And then you told me again... ! Seems like when I learn something, it gets reinforced quite nicely! Thanks!!! And I will try some of the local crop... It sounds like I may be happy again!Oh! I like all kinds of pizza! New York, Chicago, thick or thin, but most of all I love my own home made pizza!

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

Ah the joy's of making your own pizza. Turning out a quality pie here is gonna be something of a challenge. Acceptable mozzarella is around. By acceptable, I mean mass produced, but with some flavor and decent texture. But there is a lot of "dairy glue" being sold as Mozz. None of the real stuff except in Manila. I ran into real Italian Buffalo Mozz but it came dear, very dear. I bought one ball so my family could taste the real thing instead of what we normally use. I will try my hand at making mozzarella in a couple of months. I have most of what I need on hand now. I need a larger rice cooker to use as a cheese vat. And some good quality milk. I will try the local carabao milk down the road, but I'm not holding my breath that milk will be similar to the Italian buffalo's. Yeah, life is full of ups and downs. I too lost a small fortune, but mostly due to my own ignorance, misplaced trust and, of course, greed. Now I get by on a whole lot less. And during that whole process I met a wonderful woman, who has stuck with me through ups and downs, so all things considered, I am one lucky SOB. She's worth all the gold that glitters and every diamond polished or rough. Like you, I'm much happier now. Very very cool that you came out of the trials and tribulations okay.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Before we change the topic into pizza, :) ,here is an article about the Civet coffee produced in the Philippines.http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/4896230.stm

The Philippines has recently discovered it produces one of the world's most expensive and coveted kinds of coffee.But it comes from an unusual source - the droppings of a nocturnal, cat-like animal called the palm civet.Civets, related to the mongoose, are usually seen as pests in the Philippines and hunted for their meat.But their droppings are worth their weight in gold.

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted
Before we change the topic into pizza, :) ,here is an article about the Civet coffee produced in the Philippines.http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/4896230.stm
The Philippines has recently discovered it produces one of the world's most expensive and coveted kinds of coffee.But it comes from an unusual source - the droppings of a nocturnal, cat-like animal called the palm civet.Civets, related to the mongoose, are usually seen as pests in the Philippines and hunted for their meat.But their droppings are worth their weight in gold.
Yuck!

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

I know, I hear the yuck comment, but for all you guys that love eating sausage in the morning or an old style hotdog with some snap when you bite into it. Heh heh. You been going there, in terms of food and drink, for years. Well, maybe not Steve & Myrlita unless they are eating Filipino sausages like Longaniza. :thumbsup:

Mike S
Posted
Posted
here is an article about the Civet coffee produced in the Philippines.
Hummmmmmm ..... I thought the coffee was produced IN THE CIVET ...... and packaged in the Philippines ....... :7_4_17[1]: :36_6_3[1]:By the way I think Civet Poo Coffee would be delicious ...... but seeing as I only drink instant decaff I wouldn't know ...... just think you can have Civet Poo Coffee with your Vegimite on a biscuit with beans or beetroot ....... yummmmmmm ... what a breaky ...... :1247: :thumbsup: :gday:

Candyman
Posted
Posted

I think you would have to be bloody hard up for a cup of coffee, if you had to resort to Coffee produced by Civets ! I am a coffee addict from way back, but I think I would switch to tea, if that was all available !

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Haha! Now that I think of it, the Civet did taste like Instant....