Do Your Friends Or Family Visit You In Phils?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I did a quick search and did not see anything on this topic.For those living in Phils, I was wondering how many of you have friends or family from your homeland who have visited you there or are keen on visiting in the future? It can be a long and expensive trip for some people, but there is the draw of having a free place to stay in an exotic country.I have a few adventurous people who I think will be good candidates to make the trip after I move, but only a handful. I have worked for a global company and seen many parts of the world, so it is amazing when I hear one of my old friends tell me that they have never left North America! I do have some Fil/Am friends who would probably drop by if they are in the area.

• Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Don .... no none of my family has ever visited or I guess never intend to ..... I have only heard of very few family members visiting but I think 2 mothers and one brother and father .....Good post I would be interested also to see who has visited here ......

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

No one I know wants to spend 14+ hours on a plane. If we ever make the move full time, guess I am on my own. Correction, one friend is talking about sailing his 45ft sailboat to different parts of Asia. So I might have one friend visit.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I doubt friends and family members will ever make the trip here. There are all the problems with different culture, climate and morals but the distance is really huge. My brother moved to Australia 30 years ago and in all that time has been visited twice by our mother and once by one of our brothers. Its just too expensive for the average guy to go half way around the world for a visit.Now if one of my brothers was to get divorced, I bet they would be here in a heartbeat.

• Like 3

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

No! Why should I invite friends or family members to the Philippines? It took me many years to get them to the U.S. and content just to move away from them! :tiphat: We're fine the way it is, them in the U.S and us here in the Philippines! It's not always more the merrier and that's why we have none of our other extended family living with us! :hystery:

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I don't live in PI so I really can't answer for sure. But when I lived in Hawaii no one came to visit and it is a much shorter, and cheaper, flight. Hawaii flights are fairly cheap and it's only an 8 hour flight. Philippines flights are much more expensive and over 20 hour flight. So if they didn't travel to Hawaii I can't see them traveling all the way from Texas to see me. Now I just have to get over there to test my theory!

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

In my case, I have a an older nephew who was stationed in Phils during his military stint, and now he has a job where he is over flowing with frequent flyer miles, so I suspect he will be my first visitor!Two of my best female friends are my SCUBA buddies and they are very adventurous, so I think they might test the water in Phils.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Even though I haven't made it yet, I think I might...I have one brother and family who love to travel and have seen all of the Americas/ Europe / Med/ etc, another brother and family who is just starting to do some travelling, a sister who wants to travel and 2 sons (with 2 daughter in laws and 2 granddaughters) and a daughter who don't get to see their dad much and may just come if someone (like, ahem, me) gives them some tickets... So, maybe, maybe not... It will be interesting to see!

• Like 2

brock
Posted
Posted

I was in a bar one night, When in walked my son, Didn't tell me he was coming, just a surprise visit, Had a friend do the same thing when I lived in Thailand for a while.I have had a few friends come over to visit me in Cebu.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

My oldest son from my exwife visited Philippines with me three or four times. He is now a Marine has been stationed TDY near Clark three times and once down south.A good friend and workmate retired and shortly after visited with us twice and then on his own three or four times visiting one of Ann's sisters. It would be my guess most visitors do so to meet a Filipina.A close Filipino friend has visited us here in the States and will do so again in October.

• Like 1