Charcoal In The Philippines

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted (edited)

That is a fantastic looking machine, a combination pressure cooker and smoker is a marriage of great cooking approaches. While good wood is hard to source here, I am sure it exists. You can get good wood from the States, but shipping is a bit uphill. None the less, I plan to bring a couple cubic feet of US wood into the Philippines in a couple of months.Promising woods found in various places in the Philippines:Nut Tree Saba Nut (Money Tree) PilinutFruit Tree Guava Lanzone Longan (Dragon Eye) Jackfruit Lychee Orange (Segada) From the AmazingRibs website I quote, "...never use wood from conifers such as pine, fir, cyprus, spruce, redwood, or cedar. They contain too much sap and they can make the meat taste funny. Some have been known to make people sick." I would add to that, do not use Mango tree wood. It also reportedly has a problem with the sap and particularly with extensive pesticides while it produces fruit. Both can have negative effects on people eating food smoked with it. I have been told by Filipinos that mango was okay, but they are wrong and you should steer clear of it.

Edited by Tatoosh
  • Like 1