Why Is It So Darn Dark Here

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Where I come from, night falls gently. The sky at night is filled with a bright moon and many stars. On a clear night you can see for miles with just the starlight to guide you.Here the night falls about 6 and it is pitch black. In the city there are some streetlights to guide you but in the provincial areas it is usually totally devoid of light. And any light that I install outside seems to be sucked up by the surrounding air so it does not extend more than a few feet.Is this some meteorological condition? By the way, its still raining here so maybe the constant cloud cover has something to do with it but I mean it is NEVER starry at night.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Is this some meteorological condition?
Ask Bruce :th_exactly:

Jake
Posted
Posted
Where I come from, night falls gently. The sky at night is filled with a bright moon and many stars. On a clear night you can see for miles with just the starlight to guide you.Here the night falls about 6 and it is pitch black. In the city there are some streetlights to guide you but in the provincial areas it is usually totally devoid of light. And any light that I install outside seems to be sucked up by the surrounding air so it does not extend more than a few feet.Is this some meteorological condition? By the way, its still raining here so maybe the constant cloud cover has something to do with it but I mean it is NEVER starry at night.
The last time I was in a pitch black environment was out in the middle of an ocean. First time I saw the band of theMilky Way in all its glory. Now out in the boonies, where you're at Dave, nothing moves but you can hear a lot ofweird noises. Often times, that scares the chit out of me, especially during monsoon season with no sky lights, justthunder and lightning breaking through the cloud cover. If you have just one light on, it will be covered with all kindsof insect which will reduce the illumination down to a few feet. Also moisture in the air does the same thing.Be careful how you place your candles inside your home or apartment. The strong winds can knock them down andnearby flammables could be ignited. I'm sure you have stocked up on fresh batteries and an emergency back packto grab and go in case you need to get out of dodge immediately. And please don't listen to any folklore about darkand mystical creatures.....he, he.Respectfully -- Jake
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Next question, how is it that local filipinos can see in the dark?I can be walking down a pitch black street, hoping not to trip, guided by a far off street light, and suddenly here a voice from the darkness saying Hello Joe. I cannot see anyone but they can obviously see me.

Jake
Posted
Posted
Next question, how is it that local filipinos can see in the dark?I can be walking down a pitch black street, hoping not to trip, guided by a far off street light, and suddenly here a voice from the darkness saying Hello Joe. I cannot see anyone but they can obviously see me.
Yeah, you would think that many folks living out in the boonies have vitamin deficiency affecting visionbut somehow your tall silhouette or shadow is a dead giveaway. Whenever I need to take a walk atnight, I always bring my "equalizer". It's a heavy MagLight with 4 D size batteries and a can of pepperspray for the four and two legged animals. Since you're fairly new in your village or barrio, take the time to introduce yourself to the nightwatchers or village tanods. A pack of smokes or snacks goes along way to have them watch your back. Maybe they can tell you about Aswangs or Kapres lurkingin the dark waiting for some fresh white meat....he, he.Watch your six -- Jake

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

So how often do you take a shower?

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Dave, have you seen an Opthamologist lately? You could have something going on with your eye sight.

volstateguy
Posted
Posted

The quickness of the sun setting is relative to proximity to the equator. So the closer you live to the equator, the faster the sun will set and as you gradually move toward the earths poles twilight will increase.

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

I have a Canadian friend who is into astronomy. He lived about 200 metres from the sea on Leyte. Every time I visited we would fill the esky (cooler) and go down to the sea and watch the sky. There were plenty of stars to see. Of course being from Australia, I would always try and work out the direction of south with the southern cross.By the way, the moon doesn't show only at night.Regards: Jim

Bruce
Posted
Posted
Is this some meteorological condition?
Ask Bruce :th_exactly:
Thanks dad....I see the stars in my location on Samar. The biggest barrier to seeing the stars other than clouds is 'light polution' which means city lights that reflect and over power the star lights.I think you have some eye issues you need to get checked into (no joke lang)As always,At your Cervix.......