What Do You Think Of Gold As An Investment?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Gold finishes above 1,000 dollars on safe-haven buying It hit as high as 1,007.70 dollars http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-02/...nt_10860385.htmIt is back at $986.90 right now but IMO it has to go up up up.

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted

As I posted in "another forum" many months ago and on here, buy gold. Did you?Coins hold a premium be they Eagles or Sovereigns and easier to sell than bullion. Also to exchange if it gets to that.I have also been buying gold/silver/platinum stocks. The latter has some catching up to do as it's main use is of course in the doldrums but as soon as car production ceases to go down it will recover. It has kept over $1000 now for a short while.Gold and silver stocks have at least doubled in the last 2 months, well mine have! They are a bit toppy now and may ease in the next few weeks but as the next wave down in the Dow and FTSE takes place they will rebound with a vengance. Silver is behind gold and may have further to go short term.Don't be too concerned with the daily price of gold. Governments via their banking playthings are shorting gold heavily to keep it down. 3 US banks have bet more than their capitals values on short bet contracts, the largest ever placed - so much for responsible banking!However, more and more central banks are voicing their desire to increase their gold holdings. There are signs of dollar paper being sold and gold purchases going up. Hard to prove of course but those that watch these things are convinced.It's easy to buy bullion through numerous bullion traders in the UK and US. BUT buy physical, not paper. Also on ebay for coins but looks for the fakes. If you buy physical either collect, have it sent to you or open an account where your allocation is named. The latter could be a problem if the trader goes bust however. Do not trust anyone or anything at the moment.Good luck and remember to do your own research and join blogs or financial bulletin boards and keep up to date.

tom_shor
Posted
Posted

Should we be taking financial advice from a pig in house slippers? :huh: :7522: On the other hand I guess he has proven he knows how to bring home the bacon. :rolleyes: SugarwareZ-011.gif It seems to me the time to get into gold would have been several years ago. Are we certain the current rise is not another bubble driven by speculation? I think we are all aware now what happens to bubbles. Increased demand has driven the prices up for sure but what will happen when things level out and other types of investments are once again promising? Just like the other bubbles the ones who got on the band wagon late will take a major hosing. If you are going to buy I certainly agree you should get the product in hand not a promisary note for it. If things really do tank big time the certificate is just another piece of paper.

til
Posted
Posted

I'm pretty sure it's on bubble level now already.When everyone says "buy" its time to sell.Maybe I should sell that soon to be divorced wedding ring of mine now.

• 3 months later...
Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Closing in on $1000

post-40-1243862249_thumb.png

Mike S
Posted
Posted

HUH ...... :th_exactly: ....... your graph seems to show this it is falling ...... or maybe I am just reading it wrong ...... ahhhhhhh .... never mind I found it ....... I'm standing on my head and it looks better ....... hahahahahaha ....... SugarwareZ-007.gif

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
HUH ...... :th_exactly: ....... your graph seems to show this it is falling ...... or maybe I am just reading it wrong ...... ahhhhhhh .... never mind I found it ....... I'm standing on my head and it looks better ....... hahahahahaha ....... SugarwareZ-007.gif
Iit is up to $981.90 when I just checked, looks like it will break $1000 soon because of the oil going up again. http://goldinfo.net/gold1.html

post-40-1243950365_thumb.png

Travis
Posted
Posted
HUH ...... :1 (72): ....... your graph seems to show this it is falling ...... or maybe I am just reading it wrong ...... ahhhhhhh .... never mind I found it ....... I'm standing on my head and it looks better ....... hahahahahaha ....... SugarwareZ-007.gif
Iit is up to $981.90 when I just checked, looks like it will break $1000 soon because of the oil going up again. http://goldinfo.net/gold1.html
Friends tell me to look for $1500

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Friends tell me to look for $1500
Does those friends have any inside information or reason for that, or is it just their guess?

TheMason
Posted
Posted

Many people who buy gold do so because they think the end of the world is coming, yet they buy gold from a company and let that company store it for them. I don't see how that protects you from financial disaster. If the end is coming, I doubt that company will deliver the gold as promised.You can get 1 oz. gold coins for a $50-$70 premium over the spot price. If you buy in person from a coin dealer you can take possession right away. Companies that sell coins on the Internet generally have a 3 week to 3 month delay before delivering the coins to you. The American Eagle and Gold Buffalo coins are both good coins to get. Far fewer of the Buffalo coins were produced, so those are likely to do better because they sell at a premium due to scarcity in addition to any change in the gold price.Buying 22 kt. gold jewelry is also a good way to invest in gold. You pay a premium for the crafting of the jewelry, but unless you're buying something fancy, the premium is not usually more than what you pay for coins.I personally don't think the end of our financial system is coming, but I do have some gold coins squirreled away in a safe deposit box just in case. If inflation hits like some say it will, gold will be handy to have.