Is Global Warming The Greatest Scam In History?

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
Scientists Warn of Catastrophic Sea Level Risenew data suggests that sea level rise could exceed 39 inches and is unlikely to be less than 20 inches. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,508509,00.html
One flaw I see in the article is melting polar ice will not contribute to sea level rise because it is already in the water. It will cause other problems but not that. Actually since water expands when frozen melting floating ice should actually cause the sea level to drop. Test it yourself. Put some water in a glass then add 2 ice cubes. Mark the level then look when the ice has melted the level will be lower. I learned that in 7th grade science class.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Ahhhhhhhhhh .... see there Tom S is a scientist ....... he is doing scientific experiments ........ good on ya ... Tom S ......

Markham
Posted
Posted (edited)
Scientists Warn of Catastrophic Sea Level Risenew data suggests that sea level rise could exceed 39 inches and is unlikely to be less than 20 inches. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,508509,00.html
One flaw I see in the article is melting polar ice will not contribute to sea level rise because it is already in the water. It will cause other problems but not that. Actually since water expands when frozen melting floating ice should actually cause the sea level to drop. Test it yourself. Put some water in a glass then add 2 ice cubes. Mark the level then look when the ice has melted the level will be lower. I learned that in 7th grade science class.
Agreed. However shrinkage of the Arctic ice cap will - and is - affecting the "Atlantic Conveyor" the current which flows down to the eastern seaboard of Canada and the US and ends up in the Gulf of Mexico. This is the "engine" for the "Gulf Stream", a warm water current that crosses the Atlantic and up the Spanish, French, British and Irish coasts. It is thanks to the warming effect of the Gulf Stream that Palm Trees and other tropical plants can grow outdoors and thrive in southwest Britain. If the Atlantic Conveyor fails, so will the Gulf Stream and that will result in lower temperatures and extreme winters in northwest Europe.Sea water levels will only be affected if land-based ice (ie glaciers) also melts. Edited by Markham

til
Posted
Posted
For the north pole that might be true, but not for the south pole, as that ice is "on land" and not yet contributing to the water level! Same thing for Greenland (at least it will be green again) and all the ice in the higher mountains.And the predicted rise in water level is because of the thermal expansion of water. If it where really all the ice in Antarctica that melted, the level would go up by 60 meters!

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
Agreed. However shrinkage of the Arctic ice cap will - and is - affecting the "Atlantic Conveyor" the current which flows down to the eastern seaboard of Canada and the US and ends up in the Gulf of Mexico. This is the "engine" for the "Gulf Stream", a warm water current that crosses the Atlantic and up the Spanish, French, British and Irish coasts. It is thanks to the warming effect of the Gulf Stream that Palm Trees and other tropical plants can grow outdoors and thrive in southwest Britain. If the Atlantic Conveyor fails, so will the Gulf Stream and that will result in lower temperatures and extreme winters in northwest Europe.Sea water levels will only be affected if land-based ice (ie glaciers) also melts.
Yes that's what I ment about it causing other problems. But the Article said it would cause the water level to rise. Actually the shutting down of the gulf stream should cause the temp to drop thus eventually refreezing the ice.

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
For the north pole that might be true, but not for the south pole, as that ice is "on land" and not yet contributing to the water level! Same thing for Greenland (at least it will be green again) and all the ice in the higher mountains.And the predicted rise in water level is because of the thermal expansion of water. If it where really all the ice in Antarctica that melted, the level would go up by 60 meters!
Thermal expansion. Yes I could see that but that wasn't what the article here said. My suggestion to counteract global warming tomorrow at 12pm everyone leave their refrigerator door open for an hour.

Mik
Posted
Posted

We could try not to fart for one day.

Markham
Posted
Posted
Tell that to the cows and other ruminants!

volstateguy
Posted
Posted
I think I would explode. SugarwareZ-005.gif