Should I Bring My Mountain Bike?

Adventurer
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm trying to decide to bring my beloved Giant XC Mountain bike. It is a good quality one, not the most expensive one but one that has good parts and is a popular choice used by cross country racers.I have noticed that bikes get very little here 2nd hand in Aussie compared to new prices. Mine cost about $1600 a few years ago but I think I would be lucky to get $500 for it now.I know on a previous trip I was always wishing I had a bike to ride as I was not getting much exercise where I was and I was often bored and wanted to get out and do something. But then a recent trip when I lived in the city I never thought about it as I was at the gym and I was enjoying my days keeping busy with more things to do in the city.The problem though is I don't really know where I will be living or where I will end up.My plan is to live there for 2 years before going back to OZ and then I still hope to go right back again.My plan is as I have written before is to meet up with this girl I have got to know and like a lot. She lives in a province an hour or more from Cebu. I will go and live in a hotel for a few days when I get to Cebu city and play it by ear. I will meet up with her and see what happens.My dream would be that we get on well and we could go and live somewhere in a province on a moderate budget and just enjoy a provincial and quiet lifestyle. It would be great to have my bike then but the problem is what I will do with it in between leaving Australia and that final place I live?Options could be that I could dismantle it and put it in a Balakan box so it won't get there for 2 months anyway and by then I would probably be settled into a home. The problem though is where to ship the box as I don't want to send it to her address in case it is seen as intruding and who knows if we would be together as we still have to meet although I'm very positive about that but there is still that chance.I could put it into a box and Carry it on as luggage as I have done some research and it seems OK although I'm not so sure how Philippines Domestic airlines would look at it? But there is still the problem of how to get around with it when I get to Cebu city. I know it' hard enough just carrying my bags let alone a bike.I guess the logical thing is just to sell it here but I will not be travelling with a big bank account and no pension so buying one over there will mean I will not get any near the quality. It's a little hard to think what I should do, any ideas would be great....

Edited by Adventurer

MikeB
Posted
Posted

The fact the you used the word "beloved" makes it a no-brainer to bring it. I shipped a far less expensive bike from the US (as I mentioned before) without the box but, depending on your shipper, that may not be an option. I sent it to Paul W (ancienrocka) at Not at this address /. He can accept and store it for a small fee. I kept mine in my apt while I was living in Cebu City, never rode it, but now living in the province I'm glad I brought it. You may get some money for it but I think you'll regret not bringing it.

• Like 2

Adventurer
Posted
Posted

Great I'm sold now :lol: I think it's time I contact ancienrocka and see what can be done there.

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

Cycling is popular in Cebu City on Sundays. Many Filipinos riding up to the Top which is on top of a small mountain. I imagine a mountain bike would be good for riding up there.I am not sure I would bother with a mountain bike in the mountains where my ex wife's family live. Twice in the last 2 years, we have blown a tyre on the Pajero four wheel drive, driving the 9 km trip from the town. You would also be up to the peddles in mud on some of the stretches of road.Regards; JIm

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
Great I'm sold now :AddEmoticons04230: I think it's time I contact ancienrocka and see what can be done there.
I have fairly good mountain bike I was going to bring. I was wondering though, is an expensive bike going to be a magnet for theft or even worse, make the rider a target?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I was wondering though, is an expensive bike going to be a magnet for theft or even worse, make the rider a target?
If you ride it, you will at least be a 'moving target' and hard to hit. Just teasing. Quite a few foreigners and filipinos ride expensive bikes here. I find it interesting that the bicycling crowd are more likely to be wearing helmets than the motorcycling crowd. Expensive bicycles are a bit of a status thing as anyone can 'utang' a motorcycle but you need cash to buy a bicycle. I notice that everyone uses the standard bike locks for their bicycles but I have not noticed people being targeted for theft or other crimes. When people say to keep a low profile, I don't think you upsetting the cart to ride a bicycle. Just my humble opinion from observing bicyclists and daydreaming about buying one myself.

Adventurer
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm trying to decide if I should add baggage allowance of 25kg to my flight when I book it this weekend so I can take my bike on the plane as I was only going to bring carry on luggage. Or maybe I should just make a custom size Balakan box and dismantle it and put it in that so I would also not have to worry about it for 2 months until I settle. What do you guys think?

Edited by Adventurer

MikeB
Posted
Posted
I'm trying to decide if I should add baggage allowance of 25kg to my flight when I book it this weekend so I can take my bike on the plane as I was only going to bring carry on luggage. Or maybe I should just make a custom size Balakan box and dismantle it and put it in that so I would also not have to worry about it for 2 months until I settle. What do you guys think?
I think you answered your own question. I'm sure some others will disagree but I would not ride a bike in Cebu City. It's too dangerous, especially for a newcomer. Unless there's an immediate need I would ship it to Paul and get it when you need it, moving is hard enough.
  • Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

This may not be a mountain bike, it's my wife's foldable bike I bought her for Christmas 2 years ago at SM Mall for P20,000! It has a 9 speed Shimano derailer and I also added a battery operated bright LED lights front and rear tail light. She just putts around in our subdivision, because it's just too dangerous out on the open road outside of our subdivision! post-682-0-63875300-1328938671_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Adventurer
Posted
Posted

Yeah I wouldn't be riding anywhere there is traffic in the Philippines. I would only be riding it in very safe areas away from traffic, up mountains or even out in the provinces etc. I'm paranoid enough back home here, I usually ride on the grass verge as I never trust any motorists here let alone the crazy traffic in the Philippines.