Travel Insurance, Complimentary Vs Paid

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted (edited)

I've just purchased my ticket to Manila arriving May 6th this year. I purchased the ticket with my Westpac Gold CC which comes with a complimentary travel insurance. The travel agent suggested I purchase a travel insurance (offering theirs of course) which she said had more comprehensive cover and was easier to document to hospitals. Its true that I have no documentation to prove I have travel insurance so perhaps this could be an issue.I was wondering if any forum members could enlighten me with their stories and suggestions. I'd prefer to spend $289.00 elswhere :thumbsup: :lol: :999: hehehe

Edited by Just Fred

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
The travel agent suggested I purchase a travel insurance
I spent a short period of time training to be a travel agent.The first thing they taught me was that the commission on travel insurance is 60%. Its a MUST upsell for them. I sold lots but never ever bought any. The one customer who had a claim had it paid out but it was a heckuva hassle. They like to collect but not all like to pay out. But keep in mind that they did eventually pay so the very few who have problems are happy to have the insurance.
  • Like 2

Garpo
Posted
Posted

I would check with the local hospitals where you will be staying and see what insurance they will accept and what type documents you will need.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I don't think you will find a hospital here that will "accept" this type of insurance. These things are reimbursement only. You don't state if you're coming for a visit or moving here. I bought HCC Medical through Atlas International when I came. Cost was $405USD for 4 months.

• Like 2

Bundy
Posted
Posted

I have a mate who visits liloan regular. Last time he was there he got real sick and was hospitalised for 2 weeks.He had 1cover travel insurance.His missus rang them and they then rang the hospital and worked it out with them straight away.All his costs were payed $5,000 worth! and he never dipped into his pocket at all. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
I've just purchased my ticket to Manila arriving May 6th this year. I purchased the ticket with my Westpac Gold CC which comes with a complimentary travel insurance. The travel agent suggested I purchase a travel insurance (offering theirs of course) which she said had more comprehensive cover and was easier to document to hospitals. Its true that I have no documentation to prove I have travel insurance so perhaps this could be an issue.I was wondering if any forum members could enlighten me with their stories and suggestions. I'd prefer to spend $289.00 elswhere :thumbsup: :lol: :999: hehehe
I purchased travel insurance with medical and evacuation coverage for $46.62 with two weeks coverage online from http://www.squaremouth.com/ for the insurer Seven Corners.I made sure I had copies of the policy in my luggage and in my wallet to ensure that if something happened those treating me would find that I had medical coverage. The policy listed a toll free phone number which could be used outside the US to contact the insurance provider.The policy provided up to $50,000 in emergency medical/dental coverage with $250 deductible plus up to $300,000 for medical evacuation & repatriation. It included other common travel insurance coverage for trip interruption, baggage and life insurance.
  • Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

The first thing you should do is read what the insurance is that is available with your Visa card. Does it provide enough coverage? Does it only reimburse you after the fact? Will they deal directly with the hospital? If you don't like these answers, I would suggest you look for another policy that you do like. Travel agencies sell insurance but I have yet to find one that will pay out quickly. And many are no different than what you get already with your visa card. Shop around but ask questions too! And don't just ask the people you are shopping from! Many of the big names are that great or reliable either.

• Like 1

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted
I don't think you will find a hospital here that will "accept" this type of insurance. These things are reimbursement only. You don't state if you're coming for a visit or moving here. I bought HCC Medical through Atlas International when I came. Cost was $405USD for 4 months.
I'm only visiting for 59 days this time but if the lady I'm visiting is true then I'll stay longer on my next trip.

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted (edited)
The first thing you should do is read what the insurance is that is available with your Visa card. Does it provide enough coverage? Does it only reimburse you after the fact? Will they deal directly with the hospital? If you don't like these answers, I would suggest you look for another policy that you do like. Travel agencies sell insurance but I have yet to find one that will pay out quickly. And many are no different than what you get already with your visa card. Shop around but ask questions too! And don't just ask the people you are shopping from! Many of the big names are that great or reliable either.
I did read what I could find online but I think I will see the bank today and get the booklets as they have been misplaced after all these years. I also need passport photos for my visa so I can do both. Online, the information is clear as mud but the word unlimited did come up for medical so that's good. I did read a review online that stated that the complimentary Gold CC insurance can be better than the alternatives but who knows? I do know that small print makes me squint too much and I bet the insurance companies know that too. Edited by Just Fred

• 2 weeks later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
I would check with the local hospitals where you will be staying and see what insurance they will accept and what type documents you will need.
Horror story of NOT having the RIGHT insurancehttp://www.news.com.au/travel/news/thanks-a-million-canada-baby-pipers-huge-hospital-bill/story-e6frfq80-1226302282185"Before travelling people are advised to consult the smartraveller.gov.au website."