Round Trip Ticket

karlen
Posted
Posted

Hi, this might be in a thread somewhere.. U can direct me.. I thought i had it figured out but bf called united airlines and the airlines said they are not selling one way tickets to the phils. I know i can book one way tickets on kayak or orbitz but im afraid they wont let him board when he gets to DFW. Thinking it wont be a hassle if we could get a refund. But i just remembered my credit card limit wont cover for all of it and we're going to ask to use his friends credit card. Hmm..not quite sure if his friend will return the money if he's gazillion miles away. Should i book a one way ticket on kayak/ orbitz and press our luck? Will there be questions asked once he boards the plane?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I am just shaking my head that you would have us believe this guy does not even know how to book a plane ticket? Something is terribly wrong here. Is he making excuses not to come?For an experiment I went to United dot com to try to book a one way ticket from US to Manila and I had no problem booking (I stopped before getting to the end) a one way flight on United from LAX to Honolulu to Guam to Manila for $656

• Like 2

karlen
Posted
Posted

He's been here before and has booked his own round trip ticket. I must have confused him with my talks bout throwaway tickets. He did call united airlines and the person who answered said they would not sell one way tickets it has to be a round trip ticket. He also said they never asked him bout his ticket the 1st time he went here.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I can vouch for him...I called United a couple months ago - I wanted to find out what the costs were to fly from Buffalo, NY to Cebu. They refused to talk to me as well unless I wanted to book a round trip ticket. They even hung up on me when I asked if they could confirm this with a supervisor. Regardless, United is not on my list of airlines to fly on!

• Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Price-wise, there is usually not that much difference between a r/t and one way. Why not buy the r/t to return within 21 (or 30) days and cancel the return when he gets here. You can use the return for up to a year if needed.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

The last time I came back here , in February, I was going to get a 1 way ticket and buy a cheap throwaway ticket from Cebu air. One way would have cost me £600 and a cheap throwaway about £50 so I asked about a return and it was £660. So as Mike says maybe it is better to buy a return ticket which is valid for up to a year. At least then if you decide you don`t like it here you have your exit plan for a year, and if you don`t like it after 1 year you aint gonna like it.Kevin

• Like 1

karlen
Posted
Posted

Thanks ill go research on prices some more. Last time i looked at kayak the rt ticket was 300-500 dollars more. Havent checked out their refunds/ cancellation policies but if its gonna be valid for a year that will be a good deal. I guess i just got spooked with united airlines and thought that was how all airlines would view it.

• 2 weeks later...
Higg-num
Posted
Posted
Price-wise, there is usually not that much difference between a r/t and one way. Why not buy the r/t to return within 21 (or 30) days and cancel the return when he gets here. You can use the return for up to a year if needed.
Wow ! Thanks MikeB. So if I understand correctly I can use a " Round trip " Ticket as a " Throw away " ticket to enter Cebu & have a year to come back home to the States ?

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Wow ! Thanks MikeB. So if I understand correctly I can use a " Round trip " Ticket as a " Throw away " ticket to enter Cebu & have a year to come back home to the States ?
In general, the US carriers allow you up to 1 year to use a cancelled, non-refundable ticket by paying a $150 fee and the price difference (if any) but check with the airline first.
  • Like 2

Garpo
Posted
Posted

You might also want to check on-line tickets for a multi stop ticket in which you stop in Philippines leaving the next day for another country. This will give you the onward ticket that you would need.

• Like 1