He / She / It

paul
Posted
Posted

Regarding what Pete mentioned, preposition confusion - that is a horse of a different color. But, I can see it as something that would confuse us a bit. In the case of he / she / it, the difference simply is because there isn't a way to differentiate among the three choices. So, Filipinos will often pick the one that is the first one to come to mind. This applies much more often to "he" and "she", rather than to "it".Another thing is, a Filipino will often answer properly, according to how we ask the question. So, we (native English speakers) must be on our toes when asking a question, to make sure we receive the correct response. Here is an example:"Day, do you wish to not go to the store?" She would reply with, "Yes," if she doesn't want to go. But, in many cases when two Americans may be talking with each other, one asking that exact same question, the other American may reply with, "No." They both would be getting the same point across, in that neither person wishes to go to the store. I guess my point here is, often, Americans will trash their grammar, while a Filipino may speak, and reply in English, properly.Is ya'll confused yet? :1 (235):

On-in-2
Posted
Posted
Regarding what Pete mentioned, preposition confusion - that is a horse of a different color. But, I can see it as something that would confuse us a bit. In the case of he / she / it, the difference simply is because there isn't a way to differentiate among the three choices. So, Filipinos will often pick the one that is the first one to come to mind. This applies much more often to "he" and "she", rather than to "it".Another thing is, a Filipino will often answer properly, according to how we ask the question. So, we (native English speakers) must be on our toes when asking a question, to make sure we receive the correct response. Here is an example:"Day, do you wish to not go to the store?" She would reply with, "Yes," if she doesn't want to go. But, in many cases when two Americans may be talking with each other, one asking that exact same question, the other American may reply with, "No." They both would be getting the same point across, in that neither person wishes to go to the store. I guess my point here is, often, Americans will trash their grammar, while a Filipino may speak, and reply in English, properly.Is ya'll confused yet? :1 (235):
Dong, do you wish her to NOT be confused?

• 1 year later...
Demeter
Posted
Posted
Another one that I notice often getting confused is the meanings of "To" and "From". My girlfriend is always saying things like... "I borrow to Geraldine 500p" when she really means that she borrowed _from_ 500p.Anybody else notice this?Pete
This is just a wrong learning. Being an ESL Teacher, I have taught these collocations at school. However, with the number of students in a local classroom setting, the teacher could not easily gauge each student's learning. They don't have much interaction with native speakers of the English language, thus not having opportunities to practice the language.
  • Like 1