Check Deposits

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

Has any one had any experience in cashing travelers checks

could you please share your it with us.

(no i dont mean that kind of experience :nudie: )

I would rather stick needles in my eyes than try and cash travellers cheques again in the Philippines.

I just use ATM's. It might be the most expensive way to access cash but it is the most convenient. Also, my money stays in Australia where I know it is safe.

Regards: Jim

• Like 1

retired
Posted
Posted
I know I can get my Canadian Military Pension deposited directly into my Philippine bank account (once I have one) and in Philippine Pesos...I wonder if they would make me wait the 22 days as well?(Of course I don't think I will be proceding this way - I was just wondering if they would make me wait if I did)
Bob .... not sure how they do it in the far north .... but in the US I believe any governmental check can only be accessed by you personally if you are banking outside the US and they will not tie a credit or debit card to that account ..... so if you get married your asawa will NOT have access to your funds and you must go there personally to with draw money ..... if you are sick and can't get to the bank you are SOL ....... but i am not sure how they do it in Canada ..... you might want to check just to be sure

Don't know about Canada but US SS funds are all sent electronically , no more checks . As for being unable to access your account personaly there is work around for that . Just talk to bank staff about how to get to your account in emergency . A liitle red tape with form and attorney but not complicated .

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Canada is much more user friendly...! Deposit to what ever bank account you select and, for international deposits, on the list of banks the Canadian government can access. And for the Philippines, that is just about any bank there is!

With the bank I deal with in Canada I have multiple options on moving my money out... Some of these I have never looked at for charges and availability of funds though I will be doing so shortly. I can use cheques, online payments to a selected payee, money transfers (national and international) and I can even email money to someone - though the last I haven't looked into yet exactly how it works or it's costs. The most likely method I am going to use is the International Money Transfer as the bank offers a good rate. The only issue is you can only do so much at one time. And I'm not sure but there may be a daily limit - same as on the debit card. At the same time I can use a company from the UK called World Remit who will do international transfers as well. Here I can use a Credit Card or, what I would do, is send the money by my debit card. Part of their process will send you to your bank for an on-line debit payment and then that money is sent internationally. Simpler to do it than to write it out!

If anyone is interested in using World Remit, I did notice something strange - but to the good! You choose the currency you want to work with (pesos obviously), the amount, if that is the amount you want them to receive or take the charges out of that amount, etc... And then they told me there was a $10.99 charge to send the money - the normal type of fee for a place lke this. I didn't want to go find another way to do it as it was an emergency situation (for me - that was when the girlfriends boarding house burned wn) so I agreed to the charge. Now of course, we all know they are going to take a percentage on the exchange as well, right? Well, the Canadian $ barely moved the week before (on exchange rate) and I have a currency converter on my phone to figure things out for times like this... When I was done the processing (and before taking the money out of my bank), I was set to be only charged $4.99 Canadian total... Go figure! The exchange was better than the Bank of America's best rate (it was actually the same as the flat rate and not the buy/sell rates) and I got a discount on the service charge of $6 CDN. And, if the money is to be picked up rather than delivered, it is sent immediately! Ok, once the paperwork was done and the money was ready for pickup within 30 minutes and the other was 2 hours later... Or at least that was accoding to the emails they send after each step... Processed, then sent and available, and then once it is picked up.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:41 AM

from Retirednlovinit

I deposited Amex Travelers checks to PNB and had to wait 30 days. I later asked about depositing a personal check on my US account and they said that is ok but it would take 30 days. I figured out how to make direct transfers so I have not tried depositing a check.

I deposited Amex Travelers checks to PNB and had to wait 30 days. I later asked about depositing a personal check on my US account and they said that is ok but it would take 30 days. I figured out how to make direct transfers so I have not tried depositing a check.

Call me Bubba, on 01 May 2012 - 04:49 PM, said:

Has any one had any experience in cashing travelers checks

could you please share your it with us.

I have found a previous link about cashing AMEX travelers checks,

http://www.philippin...banks +rip +off