Potato

i am bob
Posted
Posted

The potato issue is alive and well here in Cagayan de Oro as well as finding quality breads . I especially like baking potatoes and finding them is a bit of a treasure hunt as the major grocery chains stock tends to be small to medium and overpriced . Asking around finally took us ( wife mostly ) to a large street market and a little old lady hid in the back end of the second level . Wala.. big potatoes . :-) So , my advice would be to keep asking and if they are out there sooner or later you will discover .Bread is another matter as Filipinos tend to like surgery bread . We were buying the Gardenia out of Luzon but stock was not always available . Fortunately an English baker has set up a small deli operation here and bakes the best bread i have ever had . Last week purchased 2 loaves of Whole Wheat and a dark rye for less than 200 peso total . Given that Gardenia is nor 60 peso + and smaller volume the deli bread is a no - brainer . Best of all , no sugar , presv.; and baked overnight . Can be ordered on - line and shipped if feasible for you . Whole or they will slice for you . Won't provide link without ok from admin but happy to pass along via email if interested .Bread Lover

Thanks for the info! I will definitely search for the big potatos but I think I will keep up with making my own bread... It is great exercise and I can make any kind of break I want!!! First I'll have to find out how hard it is to get the yeast and then check the quality of the flour... Who knows? Maybe I"ll just end up totally retired and buy my bread?

• Like 1

retired
Posted
Posted

The potato issue is alive and well here in Cagayan de Oro as well as finding quality breads . I especially like baking potatoes and finding them is a bit of a treasure hunt as the major grocery chains stock tends to be small to medium and overpriced . Asking around finally took us ( wife mostly ) to a large street market and a little old lady hid in the back end of the second level . Wala.. big potatoes . :-) So , my advice would be to keep asking and if they are out there sooner or later you will discover .Bread is another matter as Filipinos tend to like surgery bread . We were buying the Gardenia out of Luzon but stock was not always available . Fortunately an English baker has set up a small deli operation here and bakes the best bread i have ever had . Last week purchased 2 loaves of Whole Wheat and a dark rye for less than 200 peso total . Given that Gardenia is nor 60 peso + and smaller volume the deli bread is a no - brainer . Best of all , no sugar , presv.; and baked overnight . Can be ordered on - line and shipped if feasible for you . Whole or they will slice for you . Won't provide link without ok from admin but happy to pass along via email if interested .Bread Lover

Thanks for the info! I will definitely search for the big potatos but I think I will keep up with making my own bread... It is great exercise and I can make any kind of break I want!!! First I'll have to find out how hard it is to get the yeast and then check the quality of the flour... Who knows? Maybe I"ll just end up totally retired and buy my bread?

Nothing wrong with making your own as some guys here like to do that also. You are right though from what i gather regarding the yeast . Good luck with that .

brock
Posted
Posted

Bob, No problem buying the yeast or the flour.

jode
Posted
Posted

Just saw yesterday evening what must be about 50lb. sacks of potatoes at SM hypermart (old macro) between SM and Parkmall. They looked good but by the smell in the area had a few bad ones mixed in.

Terpe
Posted
Posted

:dance: For any one interested, Today for Lunch, I am having, Pork Pie, Baked new POTATOES and Baked Beans with HP Brown Sauce, YUM YUM! 2 slices of bread and Butter and a Cup of PG tips TEA. :thumbsup: Jack P. :attention:

Couple of years ago I took over some pork pie and black pudding in my laptop bag. No-one wanted to even try.

Odd really when you consider the amount and variety of pork eaten there, and also the 'blood pudding'. (which I always avoid)

Must admit, I haven't been able to last very long without potatoes. Love em.