Now I Feel Better

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Every now and then I need to be kicked back into reality ..... just when I almost forget why I don't associate with other ex-pats along comes a real a*s-hole to help me remember .... you know the type big over bearing ... won't take a hint when you try to ignore him .... wants to play 20 questions with someone he just met all on a personal level ..... and AMERICAN ..... why is it always the Americans that are so obnoxious .... (I'm American) .... I can truthfully say I have but only once been approached by another nationality and that was a guy from Oz looking for a China bank .... I told him where it was and he said thanks and walked off .... no where are you from .... how old are you .... how long have you lived here .... have you ever been in the service ..... what branch .... did you serve in Vietnam ... what color are your skivvies ..... how many times do you have sex each night ..... you know the type ..... all this in 2 mins. ...... hell .... I have some friends I have know for over 2 years that don't know the answer to all those questions ..... right Tom ....... :thumbsup: ...... well I feel much better know .... my faith has been restored in mankind ..... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
why is it always the Americans that are so obnoxious
Ahhhh. Thats interesting. Not true though. I have met Aussies, Brits, Americans, Koreans, Canadians and Koreans who resemble that remark but I have to admit most of the obnoxious ones are from the US. Perhaps that is a coincidence or maybe it is the culture there.
  • Like 1

Bundy
Posted
Posted (edited)
Every now and then I need to be kicked back into reality ..... just when I almost forget why I don't associate with other ex-pats along comes a real a*s-hole to help me remember .... you know the type big over bearing ... won't take a hint when you try to ignore him .... wants to play 20 questions with someone he just met all on a personal level ..... and AMERICAN ..... why is it always the Americans that are so obnoxious .... (I'm American) .... I can truthfully say I have but only once been approached by another nationality and that was a guy from Oz looking for a China bank .... I told him where it was and he said thanks and walked off .... no where are you from .... how old are you .... how long have you lived here .... have you ever been in the service ..... what branch .... did you serve in Vietnam ... what color are your skivvies ..... how many times do you have sex each night ..... you know the type ..... all this in 2 mins. ...... hell .... I have some friends I have know for over 2 years that don't know the answer to all those questions ..... right Tom ....... :thumbsup: ...... well I feel much better know .... my faith has been restored in mankind ..... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:
I share much the same outlook as you Mike. In your own country i'll bet these bozos wouldn't give you the time of day, but see you on the street in the Philippines and they'll act like they're your closest buddy.Hard to figure sometimes but just maybe these big, overbearing types are really insecure little boys? Edited by Bundy
  • Like 2

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

Most expats I see here in Bacolod won't give me the time of day either. Oh well.

• Like 1

jode
Posted
Posted

Well when lost in a sea of little black haired people it can be a bit overwhelming for a newbie I suppose. When they see a westerner maybe they assume its a person with some affinity for them and willing to share info and get some reassurance from. However unfortunately once guys get established socially here many forget what it is like for the newbies and develop a superior attitude. He thought maybe he had found an island of friendship in the storm without having to go through the long process of hours of having San Miguel create a comfort level leading to friendship. The disappointment he must have felt finding out that isn't the case is part of the learning process for him. Welcome to the Philippines

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Well to add a bit more he was not new to the Phils .... he had a Pilipina wife and kid .... he was dressed the part of an expat and not a newbie .... and the thing that really p*ssed me off is he kept calling me bro ..... I ain't his bro .... I don't even know him .... and his shotgun type of questions and his sudden confession of "his mother died and left him some US Savings Bonds and he could not get to them and didn't know what to do" ..... I could see a scam coming on a mile away .... I spent quite a few years hiring and firing people when I was in middle management while working in health care business and I can size people up pretty quickly .... once I have met them in person .... never on the computer .... or telephone .... has to be in person .... mannerisms ... body language and eye contact make a whole lot of difference for me ..... usually just a few minutes and I can see through the BS ...... this guy was BS .... he could even be a board member here .... sometimes we are not what we seem ..... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: .....

Many people that have lived here for any length of time over 1 year have seen a lot of things both good and bad that involve expats or foreigners if you prefer .... and more times as not these encounters have turned out bad .... so it is not that we feel superior (if I did I would offer advise on this board) but we are VERY leery of other ex-pats .... some have even been royally screwed by so called friends they have met here including but not limited to having a good chunk of their savings relieved from them .... all in the name of friendship .... sorry but I don't need that crap .... had he approached me entirely different and began by telling me something about himself instead of playing 20 questions about me .... things could have turned out different .... when he started that crap my defensive mechanism went into over drive .... and my "I don't like you" attitude took over ..... one thing about me .... if I don't like you you will know it .... I don't slap you on the back and tell you what a good fellow you are and then tell everyone else what an a*s hole you are ...... probably the biggest reason I don't go to get together s ... I don't want to ruin everyone else's fun because I don't like some one there and just ignore them .... who knows could be a whole lot of ignoring ...... :hystery: :hystery: ..... plus I don't drink and don't like being around people getting drunk ..... so the best solution for me is to avoid ..... :mocking: .... any way sorry getting off topic ..... but this is the way I am and yes I CAN be a complete a*s hole .... but as they say "so be it" .... like I told a guy one time "I ain't running for football team captain .. class president .... or Senator ...... if you like me OK ... if not OK ..... but I don't kiss and tell ........ :dance: :dance: ... so Jake your goat is safe with me ........... :thumbsup: :hystery:

• Like 4

Curley
Posted
Posted

Nice post Mike S, I think we could be friends....... can I ask you a few questions about yourself? :hystery: :cheersty:

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

MikeS

Can I talk to you about a money lending business idea I have and I have not followed up with you on that high interest banking scheme investment yet. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

I seriously doubt that your encounter with this "Kano" made him more sensitive of asking another fellow Kano about

exchanging personal information. Sounds like he's not a happy camper, personally and socially and seeks another

expat to share his failed life in the tropical paradise.

Yeah, you sized him up immediately, like a good marine conducting recon. One thing that military has taught us is

how to read body language among our so called buddies and potential enemies. We don't beat around the bush.

And I don't blame you for isolating yourself from other foreigners.

Speaking of bush, I can imagine our first encounter on the streets of Cebu.....you might hail a tricycle driver and it

could be me with my butt crack exposing my pink thong, playing hard to get at first but getting a few hard marines

is good to get......he, he. (taken from USMC recruitment slogan of a few good Marines is hard to get)

Have a good one, my friend -- Joe squat Jake waiting for ya......

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Mike, you sound a lot like me.... I enjoy a few beers occasionally but as for the rest? I don't suffer fools easily! And one thing I won't do is talk about a "friend" behind their back! I truly know I am a better person than that... I just wish more people were!

• Like 2