Thousands May Lose Internet In July

Campero
Posted
Posted

This all started when they began to flouridate the water.

Regards,

General Jack Ripper

retired
Posted
Posted
For servers I am a FreeBSD guy by default unless I need linux for a specific application. For my personal computer I have been a Mac guy for 8 years or so (Mac OS X is based on FreeBSD) but Apple has become so paternal that I have bought my last Mac. I have a small 10" UMPC running lubuntu I use for travel to the Philippines. Only cost $200 and wouldn't be a big deal if it got lost or stolen. Next laptop I get will run linux if I can avoid the Windows tax. Never been a big fan of MS business practices.

I'm kind of bad as I always lump FreeBSD in with Linux - even though I know it's not. I could work with either as both are much better than MS. And I agree 100% about Apple... I used to be a big fan of theirs starting with 9 and through into 10 but not any more. They now keep reminding me why I don't like MS - the money grab! I have an Acer Inspire One 10" dual boot with Windows 7 Basic (preloaded) and Ubuntu 12.04 that I will be bringing to the Philippines with me as well. The only reason I am leaving Windows on it is that I need it for my telephone to Canada. I have a little toy called Freephoneline that works as a free SIP phone within Canada - and it will follow me to the Philippines. So instead of buying a Magic Jack, I have a free one instead. Unfortunately it only works on Windows and Mac to this point. Maybe I"ll get a used one and use that strictly as my telephone. Of course I still have my laptop with Ubuntu 12.04 but it is getting ready to die, the battery is about done and the power supply uses a ton of electricity compared to my Acer.

Been using Linux for several years now and excepting a 3rd party softwear bug from time to time love it . Just upgraded to 12.04 but reverted to Gnome desktop as i can remember where i put things . :-) Am having an issue with install of 3rd party softwear involving Genealogy ( hobby of mine ) . Problem seems to be the softwear engineers developed as a script file that has to be run to install softwear package . Simple Terminal command to open and run but installer has parse errors about 75% of the way through the install . There are other Linux users running this softwear so am thinking it's my Linux install or just another dummy at the keyboard . :-) If you feel giving and want to offer some advice i am certainly open . Want to participate in processing genealogy data on a volunteer basis but have to have the soft wear in question installed to do so . Maybe boring to others so you can email if you have interest and time .

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted
Am having an issue with install of 3rd party softwear involving Genealogy ( hobby of mine ) . Problem seems to be the softwear engineers developed as a script file that has to be run to install softwear package . Simple Terminal command to open and run but installer has parse errors about 75% of the way through the install

You said you are using 12.04 so I'm guessing you have Ubuntu? What is the software you are using? If you are getting errors on the install, it is possible to be your OS but I would look more for either having a bad download of the genealogy software or it needs to be upgraded to work with 12.04 (though this one I doubt). I know there is one called Gramps that is in the Software Center that is suppose to be very good but, as genealogy is not my cup of tea, I have never tried it myself.

retired
Posted
Posted

A little clarification maybe on my part . I run a Genealogy softwear program called PAF which is offered free via Family Search being a part of the Mormon church in Utah , US . I am not a Mormom nor do i subscribe to their religious beliefs . I use their softwear because it's as good as the pay variety and because they have one of the largest Genealogy data bases in the world . Now , the PAF softwear installs easily when using the 3rd party platform Wine . That is a seperate thing all together from the script file issue .

The script file is meant to run via an installer which if it takes properly allows you to be "live" with the Family Search site . You may then request Genealogy data files to download and index . At present there is a big push towards indexing the 1940 US Census data . Family Search is the source point but there are other sites doing the same thing . Problem is they are all using the same script file to run the softwear installation . Like most softwear it is primarily based on Windows :-)

Have tried a few work arounds but still have the issue . Only thing i can think of is something about my install or package management issues perhaps . I use the built in Fire Fox browser but doubt thats the issue . As a last resort i can go to the Ubuntu forum and post something but these guys are way over my head when it comes to terminal commands so i have to ask stupid questions and as you probably know screwing around via the terminal can open Pandora's box when you are not an astute . :-) Actually i couldn't even open the damn script file until i got some advice from those guys . Seems the terminal command given to run the installer had left the pwd command out of the loop . :-)

I promise in my next lifetime to be an engineer or extra terristrial vechicle mechanic ... in the meantime , if anything comes to mind just give me a holler .

• Like 1

retired
Posted
Posted

I will answer myself since i sometimes talk to myself :-) Any Linux folks out there that might have an intrest my problem with the script file was solved by un - installing all of the "restricted extras" from the softwear center . Suspect it was a Java issue as they apparently don't fully support Linux like they used too . Now , everyone can get on with the important stuff .

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I will answer myself since i sometimes talk to myself :-) Any Linux folks out there that might have an intrest my problem with the script file was solved by un - installing all of the "restricted extras" from the softwear center . Suspect it was a Java issue as they apparently don't fully support Linux like they used too . Now , everyone can get on with the important stuff .

And I was going to suggest the "extra terrestrial vehicle mechanic"... :mocking:

As soon as you mentioned what software you were using, I knew the answer... but I have been sick in bed with the flu and didn't catch up with this until you figured it out...! Nice catch!