Oral Surgery

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted

This is kind of a touchy subject for me as it has to deal with my appearance and my age but i need to get some major Oral Surgery done Dentures to be exact !!! and i was wondering if any of you ex-pats know of any clinics or hospitals that will knock me out for the procedure ?

what would the average cost be ? ( i know it depends on a case by case )

what is the healing time before i can fly again ?

would it require me to be hospitalized for longer then a day ?

is it safe and clean ?

i know here in canada i had my wisdom teeth removed and i was knocked out for it and i was only there maybe a hour !! and was back home sleeping all day :)

i have been putting this off for years but the time has come that i HAVE to have it done and with the cost of doing it here in Canada i would almost have to take a bank loan out for it hahaha

i seen in a post JJR does dental tourism in the philippines from time to time maybe if you read this do you know any Surgeons or any clinic's ?? i have done a little research and have found it as cheap as $700 usd but thats not surgery and i will require surgery !!! i just need ideas on how much it will cost on average so i can start to plan for it , the clinic or hospital doesnt have to be in Manila it can be in cebu or angeles or Manila i will just combine it with a holiday so anybody with any info i look forward to hearing on THANKS EVERYONE !!!

O-U-C

billten
Posted
Posted

Not so sure exactly what you are referring to as regards dental surgury, are you having the rest of your teeth pulled and dentures made to replace? If so, as i understand it there is a brief (2 - 4 days waiting time) while the swelling goes down before the dentures can be properly fitted. If you rush this, it usually leads to poorly fitted and uncomfortably dentures.

I had a tooth removed and while i was waiting for things to settle down i had an upper plate made and i used it for about 4 months. The plate was rediculously cheap, it was only a plastic plate and tooth, a metal / porcelain one would have been a bit more but not a lot, still under P2,000. I think the cost for the impressions, the lab work, the fittings and everything was well under P1,000 and we went back to the lab three times as the color of the tooth was not correct. My dentist here in Carcar is great for extractions and simple dental work such as fillings and dentures, she is really cheap and extremely gentle. On one occasion she removed the root of a tooth the two dentists in the city told me needed oral surgury, she just reached in and pulled it in about a minute, couldn't understand what all the fuss was about.

My experience is that if you find the right dentist, they often do huge numbers of fillings and extractions (many Filipino's only go to the dentist once the tooth is no longer viable and has to be removed). Subsequently they can be very very practiced in the basic care, don't try to ask them for something complex or unusual, but with basic care, they can be really really good.

• Like 2

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted (edited)
are you having the rest of your teeth pulled and dentures made to replace?

yes this is what im talking about , i would just have them all pulled but i know for a fact that i will need surgery , thats why im looking into a practicing oral surgery clinic or if i have to i will just got to the hospital !!! , so i could assume that 1 week of healing before i could get back on a plane well i could always fly down to cebu and take the boat back , im looking to come over there in late oct. until early jan so im not too worried about being able to fly back home ! i have a house in manila and it would be ideal to get it done there but im just thinking big city bigger $ to pay out ! so i can also assume that if i just have them pulled it will cost around $1000 usd for everything including the dentures and everything , but if i have to get surgery then i should maybe double that price because were talking about using a anesthesiologist still a bargain since i looked into it here and its 4-6 thousand $ cdn at least !!!

Now what about cleanliness and the quality of the tooth you had done ??? i know there dentist are well trained but whats the sense of me getting it done if it wont last ? , my wifes family has a house in aloguinsan cebu so carcar isnt that away next time your there can you ask her for me if she does a full set of dentures , if you pm me i will give you my email address and just have her email me or get her contact info and i will email her or call her !!! thanks so much for the info my friend , if your there during that time i'll buy you a couple grandes of Golden Eagle :)

Oh by the way thanks for the response i really appreciate it !!!

O-U-C :thumbsup:

Edited by OldUgly&Cranky

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

OUC ...... I have had full dentures for over 20 years but there were installed in the US ..... the procedure went like this ..... I used an oral surgeon .... went to his office (everything was done in his office) 1 week before the surgery and he made an impression of my old teeth (this was the most difficult part for me as I tried to keep the damn goop from going down my throat .... went back 1 week later and the old teeth were cut out ...... by that I mean the gums were cut open and the teeth lifted out ..... I of course was asleep while this was happening .... gums were stitched up ...... he sewed and leveled the gums so that they formed a flat base for the plates to rest on and the new plate inserted right away ..... he said that the gums needed to be fitted to the plate ..... I was told to only remove them only to rinse my mouth with salt water 2-3 times a day and put the plates right back in .... after a week I went back to him to have them checked .... by now I could eat soft foods ... but no steak ... :lol: ..... he was away in South America do dental work on the poor folks so I was seen by a different ..... a week after that I could begin to eat just about anything except maybe bite apples ..... I moved some 600 miles from where I lived and never saw him again ...... now I hated my lower dentures as they would flip up when biting down on anything with my front teeth so I discarded them and haven't put them back to this day .... and I can eat anything except nuts with out them and it doesn't effect my speech either ......

Now here is the funny part ..... I got a forwarded letter from his office some 2 years after I moved with a refund check for $800 ..... he had retired and they sent me the check because I never went back and got my permanent dentures ..... I like to have fell on the floor ... I had no idea these were just temporary ones and I still wear them today .... no fuss no muss and they still look and feel great and like I said I can eat everything except nuts .....

Don't wait ..... have it done as soon as you can ... wish I could help you with a dentist here but quite frankly I haven't been to one ..... I do believe there is one who might recommend you to someone ..... him and his wife I believe are both dentists and he knows all his buddies ...... I think his name is Ramond ... Ramos or something like that and he did have an email address ...... let me see if I can find it for you ...... if anyone else knows it please post it ...... :tiphat:

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 2

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted

thanks Mike like i said its kind of a touchy subject for me because i have always had bad teeth but when i went to the oral surgeon here as a kid he called another surgeon into just too look at me and i felt like he was mocking me !!! and i have avoided it as much as i can for years but now its at the point i know i have to get it done !!!

i had an idea of what to expect in what i would have to get done but im really glad you explained it so anyone else that might have to go threw it can have an idea thanks my friend !!!

so from my understanding 1 week for impressions

and 1 week of healing ?

what about follow up ? can that be done in any clinic or has to be done by the surgeon ?

as i said in my last post my wifes family has a house in aloguinsan and we also have family in mactan so no problem for accommodations for me and as i said in my first post i dont really care where it is as long as its safe and clean ???

thanks so much MIKE

i'll install your cpu water block for free now LOL

O-U-C

• Like 2

billten
Posted
Posted
Now what about cleanliness and the quality of the tooth you had done ?

My whole family have been using the same dentist in Carcar for almost 7 years now and am very happy with her work, very clean and she really is more of a perfectionist than i am, my bridge went back to the lab at least twice and its really a perfect match and fit. She is really great, but... if you really really need oral surgury for your extractions then perhaps its beyond her abilities. For example, she removed my wife's lower wisdom teeth, one was badly impacted and the other a strange diagonal angle. Anyhow, she pulled em out like it was nothing, took 45 minutes and Krissy said "no pain". The dentist was ok doing it as there was no 'surgury' involved, she did say that if Krissy wanted a general anesthetic she would have to go have it done in a clinic in Cebu.

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted

thanks for the info guys really !!!!

maybe i could get the surgery in cebu city and the follow ups in another place but it really wouldnt matter to me too much as long as its safe and clean every time i got knocked out there always a worry WILL I WAKE UP LOL maybe she will know a oral surgeon in cebu city to recommend to me ??? even if i had a few leads i can always follow up because its not for another 6 months until i hope to be there so im trying to get a heads up on where to start looking !!!

im more concerned with the quality of the surgeon and the cleanliness of the clinic then really the cost i expect to pay half as much i would have in the west !!! like i said i have a few places i have looked at but i would rather have more of hands on info from you all that have had something like this done in the Philippines so any info is greatly appreciated !!!

Thank everyone !!!!

Mike S
Posted
Posted

The length of time waiting for the impressions depends on the back up in the lab ..... most will send them out to a dental lab to have made .... so it could be shorter or a bit longer .......

Tthe healing I would say depends on the person ... some people can't stand pain so don't try chewing .... me I love to eat so I had to try them out after 3-4 days .... it will also depend on the dentist ..... the one I used specialized in oral surgery and dentures so he was excellent and in his 60's with a lot of experience .... the only thing I hated is he had to stick me about 6 times before he found a vain to put me to sleep ..... but then I got big arms and hidden veins ..... he kept saying ... do you feel sleep yet .... and I'd say NO .... the last time I didn't get to say NO ..... just woke up with my new teeth in my mouth .....

As for the follow up .... you pay for the full service when use the original dentist and I personally would want him (or his associate) to make any adjustments to my dentures .... someone else may charge you and could do a good job ... so I guess it would be up to you ..... some dental clinics and labs also offer this service ..... but I have not needed to go to see one ......

By the way if you need them relined down the road a lab can do that ..... I do mine myself and don't have to use any of the adhesive products you see on the market ..... finding denture tablets for cleaning can be a real chore here ..... but S&R has the big box of tablets so I stocked up last time I went ..... really keeps your dentures clean and sweet smelling .....

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted

well when i had my wisdom teeth taken out i was basically back to my old self in 2 days as for pain i think i can handle it considering the pain have went threw the years and even the oral surgeon that did my wisdom teeth said i was healing great in a week after , so Mike basically 2 months would be plenty of time to have everything done CORRECT ??? now i guess it will be a bit of a down fall also because i plan on being there November and December being that its the xmas season im sure it will be harder to get to get everything done quickly because of time that im there if i had to i can maybe push it up to 3 month for me to be there as long as its finally done and i can really start to enjoy my fav food again LOL

O-U-C

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I had quite a bit of work done last year in Cebu by Dr Ramon Sucalit, very professional and he is a member here, I even built him a website, http://cebudentalservices.com/

You can also check into , http://www.dentalclinic-cebu.com/ They do answer Emails after a couple of days. I'm sure a google search will give you a few places to consider in Manila. :thumbsup:

• Like 1