Pinoy Pride

daisy
Posted
Posted

Lately, all or most or us Filipinos were all eyes in Jessica Sanchez, American Idol contestant whose mother happen to be a Filipino. :thumbsup: and I posted something like this:

PLEASE stop the PINOY thing, it is not helping Jessica, being married to an American, I can say this with truthfulness! We will just continue commending her not because she is of half Filipino blood but because of how GOOD she IS!

I will pray that the Americans will just laugh at our childishness and will continue to vote for our little Jess!

Oh my, even if I am a Filipino and I am so proud that I am one, I still could not get this mentality that if one Filipino will make it big in whatever field, most if not all of us will claim the glory...are we unique on this? Is this a unique mentality adopted only by Pinoy? I hope there are others who are like us too.... :tiphat:

• Like 2

gapotwo
Posted
Posted

Lately, all or most or us Filipinos were all eyes in Jessica Sanchez, American Idol contestant whose mother happen to be a Filipino. :thumbsup: and I posted something like this:

PLEASE stop the PINOY thing, it is not helping Jessica, being married to an American, I can say this with truthfulness! We will just continue commending her not because she is of half Filipino blood but because of how GOOD she IS!

I will pray that the Americans will just laugh at our childishness and will continue to vote for our little Jess!

Oh my, even if I am a Filipino and I am so proud that I am one, I still could not get this mentality that if one Filipino will make it big in whatever field, most if not all of us will claim the glory...are we unique on this? Is this a unique mentality adopted only by Pinoy? I hope there are others who are like us too.... :tiphat:

I for one can say that i am a proud Pinoy. when Manny Paquiao won the title , i was a very proud Pinoy, When Arnel Pineda became the band JOURNEY lead singer, i was a proud Pinoy When then president Marcos was ousted by people power, i was a proud Pinoy, when some of our top politicians got caught with their hands in the cookie jar, i was a proud Pinoy. and as i point the finger at the other person to blame to save face on my behalf, i am still a proud Pinoy....I dont think its a pinoy only thing, its everywhere...there are many like us. proud pinoy EJ. :thumbsup:
  • Like 3

retired
Posted
Posted

Do find the pride thing to be more of a Philippine culture issue than anywhere else i am aware of but it does exist in other cultures as well . Recently watched a Major League Baseball game between the NY Yankees and the Texas Rangers . Both teams starting pitchers were Japanese . Japanese media were everywhere and despite a 4 am start time in Japan ratings went through the roof . Even here in the Philippines regular scheduled baseball game for the day will be replaced if the Texas pitcher from Japan pitches and i would doubt Japnese % of population here is that great . Makes me wonder though if the Koreans bother to watch ? {-)

Don't see Americans much like that except perhaps with something like the Olympics . The Europeans can get a bit testy about their version of Football ( Soccer to us Yanks ) but thats more of a team thing . I mean when Ali was dominating the fight scene i always enjoyed watching him but because he was an American ? Of course not . Not to step on anyones toes but perhaps the reason Filipinos have such strong identification with individuals is because at least in part because the majority of news regarding the Philippines tends to be for all the wrong reasons , at least on the international scene .

PS - I do listen to Jessica Sanchez and she does have a remarkable voice and if i had a vote i would vote for her because i consider her to be the best . Ok , maybe i will have a nice breakfast too... :-)

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

Do find the pride thing to be more of a Philippine culture issue than anywhere else i am aware of but it does exist in other cultures as well . Recently watched a Major League Baseball game between the NY Yankees and the Texas Rangers . Both teams starting pitchers were Japanese . Japanese media were everywhere and despite a 4 am start time in Japan ratings went through the roof . Even here in the Philippines regular scheduled baseball game for the day will be replaced if the Texas pitcher from Japan pitches and i would doubt Japnese % of population here is that great . Makes me wonder though if the Koreans bother to watch ? {-)

Don't see Americans much like that except perhaps with something like the Olympics . The Europeans can get a bit testy about their version of Football ( Soccer to us Yanks ) but thats more of a team thing . I mean when Ali was dominating the fight scene i always enjoyed watching him but because he was an American ? Of course not . Not to step on anyones toes but perhaps the reason Filipinos have such strong identification with individuals is because at least in part because the majority of news regarding the Philippines tends to be for all the wrong reasons , at least on the international scene .

PS - I do listen to Jessica Sanchez and she does have a remarkable voice and if i had a vote i would vote for her because i consider her to be the best . Ok , maybe i will have a nice breakfast too... :-)

Hello Retired,

You can step on my toes anytime....he, he. I somewhat agree with your conclusion that too many bad

or sad stories about the Filipino out weighs the truly good things about our sacrifices, old school family

values and the Filipino hospitality. I also believe that we are the modern day gypsies spread all over

the world as OFW's and transplanted families of US service members that were stationed throughout

the islands not too long ago.

Therefore, whenever a fellow Pinoy/Pinay becomes famous in a western culture, all the Fil-AM clubs

and regional island club associations (southern Luzon, Visayan, Ilonggos, etc) will have a mini fiesta

or block parties. You could smell the fried fish and bagoong miles away. These get together renews

our long lost national pride and provide a sense of togetherness.....many of us are severely homesick.

Here is the background of our next American Idol: http://en.wikipedia....Jessica_Sanchez

Respectfully -- Jake (can't dance, can't even fart a tune.....)

daisy
Posted
Posted

I have nothing against Pinoy Pride because I have it too. What I only want to remind my fellow Filipinos is to be careful about it since far and foremost, JS needs the American votes to win. Yes our votes will help but it's only a minority and it seems some of my fellow Pinoy misunderstood my intention and they are questioning me if I am a Filipino and keep on saying Jessica is good because some Filipino blood is running in her veins which I think in this point is uncalled for! Just my opinion on this Idol thing although this is my first ever and last time to follow such tv program.

Jake
Posted
Posted

I have nothing against Pinoy Pride because I have it too. What I only want to remind my fellow Filipinos is to be careful about it since far and foremost, JS needs the American votes to win. Yes our votes will help but it's only a minority and it seems some of my fellow Pinoy misunderstood my intention and they are questioning me if I am a Filipino and keep on saying Jessica is good because some Filipino blood is running in her veins which I think in this point is uncalled for! Just my opinion on this Idol thing although this is my first ever and last time to follow such tv program.

I agree with you Daisy. Actually, I really don't follow the American Idol series that much. Only when my wife Judy forces

me to sit down and watch with her. In this case, we have a 16 year old female with a gift from heaven who deserves to

be recognized regardless of her heritage.

But as you may know, millions of votes are electronically submitted and often times the votes are based on pre-conceived

prejudices. Even to this day, prejudice/racism are factored in job interviews -- attractiveness vs ugliness and old vs young.

In this case, there has been many serious discussion of previous contestants being voted out because of female vs male.

It's all about marketing the next idol and who will bring in the big bucks to the executive producers.

I for one will cast my vote on anything extraordinary. If a very young contestant with a natural god given abilities to sing her

heart out and really touches my heart instantly, he or she has my vote -- even if she was a green Martian.

Jessica needs our support -- her being a Filipina is insignificant to me.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

I agree with you Daisy. Actually, I really don't follow the American Idol series that much. Only when my wife Judy forces

me to sit down and watch with her. In this case, we have a 16 year old female with a gift from heaven who deserves to

be recognized regardless of her heritage.

But as you may know, millions of votes are electronically submitted and often times the votes are based on pre-conceived

prejudices. Even to this day, prejudice/racism are factored in job interviews -- attractiveness vs ugliness and old vs young.

In this case, there has been many serious discussion of previous contestants being voted out because of female vs male.

It's all about marketing the next idol and who will bring in the big bucks to the executive producers.

I for one will cast my vote on anything extraordinary. If a very young contestant with a natural god given abilities to sing her

heart out and really touches my heart instantly, he or she has my vote -- even if she was a green Martian.

Jessica needs our support -- her being a Filipina is insignificant to me.

I enjoy watching and listening to Jessica because she is so talented, and I guess I do have a vested interest in the Philippines now, so that makes me more interested. I normally do not watch any of the talent shows or reality shows, but I have been keeping track of her. I hope she can win, but apparently the odds are against her because the statistics show that the "teenage female" vote is what drives the win, and they generally pick guys. I think Jessica is very cute, so maybe the teenage boy vote can push her thru. My girlfriend says that many Filipinos don't think she is attractive, by their standards. Is that true?

I don't see anything wrong with Pinoy Pride driving support for her. I think other countries would have similar pride but many countries are so big with so many talented and famous people, one person easily gets lost in the shuffle. I also think she is a good role model at this point, so nothing wrong with exposing that to the world. I hope she can stay down to earth as her career grows. Regardless of if she wins idol, she does have a bright future in the business.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 2

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

Lately, all or most or us Filipinos were all eyes in Jessica Sanchez,

American Idol contestant whose mother happen to be a Filipino. :thumbsup:

.... :tiphat:

here is another link to Jessica Sanchez and a Youtube video

http://www.philippin...essica-sanchez/

Edited by Call me Bubba
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I missed the shows but I watched Jessica's latest performances today. She did really well and made the cut tonight to the top 4.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Please don't say who didn't, it's on here tonight - in about 7 hours.