Smoking

jode
Posted
Posted

I was a non-smoker when I came to the Philippines for an extended stay. After more than 35 years of smoking, multiple times through the VA's excellant stop smoking program finally paid off, and I was done with torturing my lungs with smoke. I knew that it was as difficult an addiction to kick as there is. Seven years of non smoking made me feel that maybe my lungs might completely recover from the abuse I had subjected them to.

One of the reasons I had quit was that I was always kinda cheap. Because of the sin taxes in U.S. cigarettes had become very expensive. At 6 or 7 bucks a pack even a moderate habit of a pack and a half a day costs you enough money to take a yearly 3 week vacation to Philippines instead if you quit.

In the Philippines cigarettes are only 1 dollar a pack. They sell along the road 2 cigarettes for 5 pesos or about 12 cents. One day after an excellant meal, I was sitting along the waterfront walkway in Damuguete relaxing and watching someone drag on a cigarette, when a vedor comes up and I decide that just getting a couple smokes wouldn't hurt me, and it would be a nice treat after that great meal. Next day having beers with smokers and no vender of single cigarettes handy, so I would just buy a pack. Like they are only 40 pesos so why not?

Soon am fully back into it and smoking two packs a day. I go back to U.S. and in two months am able to quit again using the electronic cigarette as a crutch for awhile. Back to Philippines and soon am smoking again. There seems to be a much higher percentage of smokers here anong ex-pats as you would see among similar group in USA. Maybe the low cost of cigarettes here is a factor.

I was going to call this topic "smokers paradise" but after being stopped and made to put out my cigarette by police three times on my trip to baguio and manila I think the days of it being smokers paradise here are ending. Many places there where you can't smoke outside even and there is talk here of passing more sin taxes to increase government revenue and discourage unhealthy practises.

• Like 4

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Smoking is one of the hardest things to quit... I know because I end up quitting every night when I go to bed and then the next morning.... Dang that morning coffee anyways! And please don't let me see a beer on a patio setting...!

Moving to the Philippines should make it easier for me... I understand they taste more like American cigarettes and since. being a Canadian, they taste a little off to me, well... Hopefully that will be the last time that I quit!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:unsure: Well this Guy has got to stop so when you Guys find a solution PLEASE let me know :morning1:

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Does your wife like the smell of cigarette smoke? If not, there's your reason!

I had quit for 4 years with my ex-girlfriend because she hated cigarettes... The day she said she was coming to Canada, I quit... The night she got on her flight back to Taiwan, I had my first pack in my pocket...

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

Sorry Bob the local smokes are more like Canadian than American and very cheap . i can,t remember the price but aroumd 200p for a carton of cheap smokes at Gaisano

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

There is no financial incentive here to give up. Cigs in the UK are around£6.50 here I can get cigs for 8p the ones I buy are 14.25p but it is on my agenda when the baby arrives to give up.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hey Jode,

You mentioned on your trip to Baguio and Manila, you were to told (3 times) to put out your cigarettes.

I'm curious exactly where it's enforced by the local PNP not to smoke.

Thank you -- Jake

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Sorry Bob the local smokes are more like Canadian than American and very cheap . i can,t remember the price but aroumd 200p for a carton of cheap smokes at Gaisano

I need a not like button!!!

:mocking:

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I need a not like button!!!

:mocking:

Willpower Bob is what you need, Yeh right so where is mine
  • Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Hey Jode,

You mentioned on your trip to Baguio and Manila, you were to told (3 times) to put out your cigarettes.

I'm curious exactly where it's enforced by the local PNP not to smoke.

Thank you -- Jake

I just got back from Baguio, the only place I was asked to not smoke was at Burnham Park.

But I don't smoke much (10-15 a day) and the girl I was with didn't like me smoking, so there weren't many opportunities to be informed of the law.

You do see signs all around Baguio.

• Like 1