Macarthur Park Palo Leyte

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
NOW they have built a swimming pool where the kids jump on the memorial to the deaths of 600 Americans and use it as a platform for diving.

My only frame of reference is how I would feel. If I die, defending the rights and freedoms of any people, I would feel honored in death if the descendants of those people were to be laughing and frolicking over my grave. It would reinforce, as I look down from heaven, my belief that I did the right thing.

Its not just me. Filipinos party at grave sites. It is how they honor the dead. I have learned to have no problem with that. Now the graffiti and disrepair are two other problems that should be getting attention.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Dave, I feel the same way! Dance on my grave and make me happy - but please no graffiti!

• Like 1

TexasRangersFan
Posted
Posted

TaclobanTripMay2012 113

TaclobanTripMay2012 107

TaclobanTripMay2012 100

TaclobanTripMay2012 088

TaclobanTripMay2012 075

Ok. here are some pics from MacArthur Park in Palo Leyte. I took these about a month ago in May of 2012. It was in really bad shape. I took pics of all the plaques that they had there. I am only posting a few.
  • Like 1

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

Wow, don't know where to begin with this one, or for that matter where to end.

History taught in schools in the Philippines, Ha now that is a laugh, Most Filipinos under 30 don't have a clue about their own country. That is not their fault but that of the teachers and politicians.

Disrespecting monuments to the dead heroes..., that is another thing! Bad parenting might be the direction I am looking for here.

Having said all of that, look at what happens to the monuments that Filipinos have erected themselves! Scavengers have taken them apart for the metal and other things.

It does make you realize that when someone says, Filipinos live for today, and not yesterday or tomorrow... they know what they are talking about.

Some might say Filipinos don't want to remember any part of their history that wasn't controlled or managed by Filipinos, and I guess it must be hard to celebrate foreigners success and failure in your own country, maybe they don't want to remember or celebrate.

But there is no excuse to disrespect the Filipino heroes of any war, and more Filipinos were killed in the American bombing of Manila than were killed defending their islands, these are just facts. Not pointing any fingers as my house has too much glass in it!

I do feel sad when I see Governments anywhere letting memorials to fighting men anywhere deteriorate, and when I see or hear of people not respecting the memories of men who fought for what they believed in.

So sad, so sad.

Papa Carl

• Like 2

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

On a positive note, I stayed at Hotel Alejandro in Tacloban once, and the historical photos all over the second floor memorial area were amazing to view. Hundreds of black and white photos documenting what happened in that era. A MUCH better place to stay in Tacloban than the faded Leyte Park Hotel, which I did not enjoy.