Living In The Philippines Alternative To Long Term Care Insurance?

bows00
Posted
Posted

My mother just turned 75 and I have a concern. My dad past away last year and left her with decent finances...now she is definitely not poverty level.. her house is paid off, she receives a decent pension, some social security and has between 100K - 200K in the bank. But it is devasting when I look at that stats - 75% of senior citizens above 60 years will eventually need in home, or constant care...and this cpuld wipe out a good amount of assets. Without Long Term Care insurance, I was quoted out of pocket expenses of $5000/month (on the cheap side). And at 75 years of age, Long Term Care insurance for my mom is outrageously too expensive.

So my question is this, would living in the Philippines with my mother be a viable alternative for her? We could rent out a house in a reputable community and hire several helpers to help me take care of her (if she eventually required in home care).

Mike S
Posted
Posted
So my question is this, would living in the Philippines with my mother be a viable alternative for her? We could rent out a house in a reputable community and hire several helpers to help me take care of her (if she eventually required in home care).

That sounds like a reasonable solution but could she take the culture shock and change ...... even simple things like favorite TV programs that she won't have here ..... you know some elderly persons become set in their ways and it is very hard to get them to change ....... while it maybe a better solution for you it may not for her ...... does she have long time friends she is close to ..... have you talked to her about it ...... what was her reaction ...... she no doubt could get better care here with a qualified helper/nurse than in the US ..... a lot of things to think about because once she is here it would be hell to have to send her back ...... IMHO ...... good luck .... it won't be an easy decision ..... again .. IMHO

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted

My mother just turned 75 and I have a concern. My dad past away last year and left her with decent finances...now she is definitely not poverty level.. her house is paid off, she receives a decent pension, some social security and has between 100K - 200K in the bank. But it is devasting when I look at that stats - 75% of senior citizens above 60 years will eventually need in home, or constant care...and this cpuld wipe out a good amount of assets. Without Long Term Care insurance, I was quoted out of pocket expenses of $5000/month (on the cheap side). And at 75 years of age, Long Term Care insurance for my mom is outrageously too expensive.

Mike S has brought up some really good points. Me being Filipino, the one thing I cannot tolerate are those damn

mosquitoes. The living conditions are also exacerbated by intense tropical heat, pollution and noise.

May I suggest that you PM JJR on this matter. He has attended high level seminars in the Philippines to promote

senior citizen health care programs.

Best of luck -- Jake

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I have been working nearly a year on a project related to this very issue. The package we plan to offer for Hawaii's seniors is between $1,500 to $3,500 per person. This includes the rental of a home or condominium within a gated resort community in the Phiilippines and personalized 24/7 care by certified nurse aides (CNAs) for the $3,500 package. The CNAs will be under the supervision of a registered nurse (RN) and a medical doctor who will make a house call once a month. Household staff includes a maid and cook.

Your mother can receive a similar level of care in her home, but the comparative price in Hawaii is $18,000 a month. The costs for a maid, cook, registered nurse and medical doctor is not included in the $18,000. By the way, in the United States, a high school diploma is not a requirement for "highly skilled" caregivers. The main requirements include passing a vocational training course, no criminal record and no communicable disease. Don't bother asking if the caregivers can read, write or speak English.

If your location is Honolulu, we can meet to discuss the details. My office is at the Pacific Business News bldg. on the corner of Ala Wai and Kalakaua. It is immediately across the Ala Wai Canal from the Hawaii Convention Center.

• Like 4

phildiver
Posted
Posted

My Mother is 74 and lives in Makati. She moved there two years ago and loves it. She bought her own Condo and takes care of herself just fine. My ex wife lives in the same building so if anything happens they will look after her until I can arrive. This country is great for Seniors and the cost of health care is not bad at all. My Mother even has a Senior Discount card and get 20% off everything. In Makati all movies are free to Seniors. Your Mom will love it here. Just keep her close to a good hospital. Helpers/Caregivers are about $70 a month plus food. Screw the States.

• Like 5

samatm
Posted
Posted

We've been thinking about this for my Mom - BUT she at 82 is still living independently has a social life and my other siblings are able to see her 1 or 2 times a month. I am jealous would love to have mom nearby -not just for her well being but it would be good to be closer to mom. This is good info to have though for future reference.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I am currently visiting Canada, at my mother's house, discussing this same thing with her. It was one reason for my visit. Interesting that this thread came up with such great timing.

She has made it clear that she would not do it unless it was a last resort. The issues she has are: Change of diet. She likes what she likes and her food would cost more in Philippines and be harder to get than in Canada (and you guys thought I was a picky eater). Bugs. She does not want to adapt to cockroaches and ants and geckos in the house, even though I told her we keep 99% of them out. Hospitalization. Home care is great to a point but the equivalent of Canadian hospitals here would cost her a lot and they would not be covered by her Canadian plan. Culture shock. She is worried about moving to an foreign environment to live, although she says a visit would be fine. Friends and other family members. If I was her last surviving family member and her friends had moved or passed on, she would be much more interested. Other than that she wants to be close to my siblings, her grandkids, and her great grandkids, and then there are her close friends.

Conclusion: It ain't gonna work for us.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

Although I have not started to promote the concept of overseas retirement care, one idea previously discussed is affinity groups. For example, a multiplex condominium unit within a gated resort could be set aside for a church congregation.The transfer is therefore community-to-community with the retired residents having certain common interests.

Early in my research, I came to the conclusion that the cultural difference might be too much for a person with very little overseas travel experience. This is the reason why our primary focus is Alzheimer's care. I have been to facilities where some residents have zero recall, including immediate family members. The father of a close friend used to scream when he saw his own face in a mirror.

The question is affordability. The Philippines can offer the same quality service at a lower cost. Someone I know told me her hands would tremble so much signing the $7,850 a month check for an assisted living facility that the signature was unrecognizable.

Edited by JJR

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

My Mum is 78 and currently living in Canada with her second husband George who is 80. I have often thought of this very same thing, when the time comes that they are not able to look after themselves or if my Mum did not have George. Some great points made here, and my Mum would be the same in regards to many things, although I think the diet here would be even better for her, with more fish and fresh fruit being much less expensive etc. However health care and medications are the issue, unless you are able to cover the costs of private health, she is much better off in Canada.

Having said all of that, we have discussed this and she would be willing to come to visit, and possibly even stay for an extended period. She and George could stay in Clark or Subic where the level of living is more what they are used to and they could limit their exposure to the reality of poverty in the Philippines. Unfortunately even if Medical City did eventually build their hospital here, I could never afford it!!!!

Such a shame that all that prevents the Philippines from becoming the retirement capital of the world, and a solution to so many nurses leaving the Philippines, is an antiquated and out dated medical provision. This being fashioned after the American System, is too bad. What a loss for the Philippines.

Papa Carl

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
For example, a multiplex condominium unit within a gated resort

Perfect, name the resort, "Last Resort" and Dave's mum will be your first tenant.

She has made it clear that she would not do it unless it was a last resort.

I really should get more sleep :mocking:

• Like 2