Is Northern Samar Safe?

Teedo
Posted
Posted

Hello guys,

I've only just joined so sorry if this is posted in the wrong section.

I will be visiting Northern Samar, Catarman and surrounding areas and wondering if many of you have been there, And if it's safe with the NPA? I am a little worried after reading about them....

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Hello guys,

I will be visiting Northern Samar, Catarman and surrounding areas and wondering if many of you have been there, And if it's safe with the NPA? I am a little worried after reading about them....

Our Member Bruce is in Samar now, not sure exactly where but I will ask him. He travels there frequently.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Bruce is in Catbalogan, which is the city capital of Samar.

jode
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hello guys,

I don't think the NPA's beef is with foreigners. but mostly with the police and army. I don't think there are kidnappings of foreigners by them. Although i am no expert.

My gf's family is from one of remotest areas of cebu island. I had read where at one time it was a stronhold for the NPA. I asked my gf's mother and grandma about them. They actually said it was better when NPA was in control. They supressed peoples"bad behavior" as they put it.

Now people are harrased and bullied by drunken, gun toting, barangay officials. Some wish the NPA would come back to deal with them.

Edited by jode
  • Like 2

GeorgeRoberts
Posted
Posted

Where is samar and what is the NPA?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Hello guys,

Our Member Bruce is in Samar now, not sure exactly where but I will ask him. He travels there frequently.

Bruce's answer to my Email.

Catbalogan, the capital (HA!) of Western Samar. There is an Eastern and Northern Samar also. Google Earth shows it, but a bad picture. For some other areas, very sharp and clear. But not Catbalogan. Fly into Manila, then 1 hr flight to Tacloban on Leyte and then 2 hr van ride (107 k) to Catbalogan. Fishing and agricultural area. Hilly area, pineapple, coconuts and related things grown as well as lumber. 100K population in the greater area. Poor population. 2 old cement piers into the water for large boats plus a smaller area for the local small fishing boats to dock and unload.

NPA is in (mostly) Northern Samar. Very odd to my thinking here, but there is 1 road, the national highway to and from Catbalogan. NO side roads. If you wanted to say drive 500 m or 5k or 25 k into the interior... you CAN'T. Samar may be 50 miles across, but there is only road access to the loop road on the coast and 1 road across Samar up on my end. Makes travel (no reason to travel) into the interior. All foot paths. This is where the NPA is.

The NPA here is not a real problem for most people. Not like the muslims on Mindanao who cause trouble for fun and profit. So the forum member can travel here. I see no problems with the NPA.

The rural asperct of Samar is perhaps why it is so poor.

• Like 3

Teedo
Posted
Posted

wow that was quick, thanks :)

We are flying straight to Catarman to avoid the hilly areas because my girlfriend said thats where the NPA mainly are. It sounds like I shouldn't worry too much, Thanks for that. I will let you all know how it goes for future reference.

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Catarman is nice. I would go there again. The airport landing strip runs through the town. After planes take off they open gates on the side of the runway for people to cross.

Rather small airport. Watch your luggage weight, it is less than jets as they fly turbo props. Luggage is off loaded into the center of the terminal, there is no conveyor. Big free for all when trying to get it. There is an army base right next to the airport.

Your girlfriend is your best safety and security.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Where is samar and what is the NPA?

Google, Maps, Philippines. It took me a few years reading online and then looking at the map to figure out major towns and islands.

Samar is just above Leyte and is a very poor and rural area of Philippines it also is very beautiful.

New Peoples Army is for the most part become a bandit group no longer a true Communist unit. Again you can Google for good detailed information on that topic. It has an interesting history worth reading about.

Samar is on my "to visit" list someday.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1