How To Choose The "right" Island To Live In ??

Panserhansen
Posted
Posted

I was giving Chiang Mai some serious thought. But I really like the Philippines too much. I went to Cebu for Christmas last year and really liked it. You really have to just go and see, though. You can't really get a good feel of the place online.

I'm moving in about 9 months and I am planning on starting in Cebu and using it as a base. Then island hop for a while and see if anyplace grabs me... or I end up married and living wherever she is. :)

A good advice for a single guy, is to find the place first, then the girl! :-)

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I was giving Chiang Mai some serious thought. But I really like the Philippines too much. I went to Cebu for Christmas last year and really liked it. You really have to just go and see, though. You can't really get a good feel of the place online.

I'm moving in about 9 months and I am planning on starting in Cebu and using it as a base. Then island hop for a while and see if anyplace grabs me... or I end up married and living wherever she is. :)

A good advice for a single guy, is to find the place first, then the girl! :-)

:no: Beware the Witches, of Siquijor Island :tiphat:

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

what are your requirements? No one is going to tell you their special place, I live on a beautiful island with fast Internet but I would not publicize it as the less people that go there the better as far as I'm concerned. As you probably know there are 700 + islands, just grab a large map,close your eyes and where your finger lands start there first but be prepared to move on anytime.... ;)

Actually, there are 7107 islands in the RP.

Is that LOW TIDE or HIGH TIDE ... Steve ............. :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

what are your requirements? No one is going to tell you their special place, I live on a beautiful island with fast Internet but I would not publicize it as the less people that go there the better as far as I'm concerned. As you probably know there are 700 + islands, just grab a large map,close your eyes and where your finger lands start there first but be prepared to move on anytime.... ;)

Actually, there are 7107 islands in the RP.

Is that LOW TIDE or HIGH TIDE ... Steve ............. :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

I would think one of the 7 at high tide is best for most.... Build a house, live on the top floor and the lower level is for the future in-laws... Or you could have a 2 story house with one story in Cebu and another story in.... ?

:mocking:

Seriously, people can tell you where to go but you will never find the same enjoyment as they do.... So instead, why not look for a good place to start from and then, after you do a little travelling and checking out the various places, decide for yourself? Find a place you like? Do some research... Ask us then what is thought about that area.... Odds are somebody on here knows about it.... And I'm sure you will end up a lot happier this way!

• Like 4

Americano
Posted
Posted

Since you will be doing work on line, besides fast Internet, you will need dependable power. Some areas have regular power outages, scheduled and unscheduled. Even if you buy your own generator the Internet could still be off. Your two main questions for finding a place to live is: Does it have fast and reliable Internet and how often and for how long does the power go off. In your search you will find out that there are large areas of Mindanao and other islands that you can forget about just based on their many power outages. Some even last for a week or more.

By the way, locals in the Philippines call a power outage black out, a brown out. When my power goes off at night I have never seen anything brown. And, I have only seen one real brown out in 2 1/2 years.

Good luck on your search. I know it will be fun.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
wildlands1
Posted
Posted

I'm also curious. Ill be going to the Fils for 3-4 months this Nov.13. My plan is to buy a used motorbike in Manila, then slowly & sporadically ride north to the mountains, hence south east towards the Visayas, hence over to Palawan, maybe even some in northern Mindanao. My goals of my tour will be; diving, hiking, looking at retirement places, and looking for a pinay wife. (I even joined Filipinocupid to meet some in advance)

I've been pouring over maps and online. I think I want to find a smallish city with mountains nearby and buy some acreage/house up above the city for a bit cooler cimate. So far I've only found the Valencia area above Dumaguete. Any other suggestions? Cant wait to go, it was -5* here in Montana last nite and snow coming any day now.

Jake
Posted
Posted

I'm also curious. Ill be going to the Fils for 3-4 months this Nov.13. My plan is to buy a used motorbike in Manila, then slowly & sporadically ride north to the mountains, hence south east towards the Visayas, hence over to Palawan, maybe even some in northern Mindanao. My goals of my tour will be; diving, hiking, looking at retirement places, and looking for a pinay wife. (I even joined Filipinocupid to meet some in advance)

I've been pouring over maps and online. I think I want to find a smallish city with mountains nearby and buy some acreage/house up above the city for a bit cooler cimate. So far I've only found the Valencia area above Dumaguete. Any other suggestions? Cant wait to go, it was -5* here in Montana last nite and snow coming any day now.

Hello Wildlands,

We appreciate you reactivating this thread again.  Hell....I don't even know the right island group to settle in for

my own retirement -- and I'm Filipino!  But I wish that I could still have that adventurous spirit like you Wildlands.  

Even more so on a used motorcycle traveling with the freedom of a majestic bird.  I'm sure you will get a lot of

advice regarding motorcycles, Filipino driving mentality and having the necessary balls to travel alone.  You may

have been around the block a few times but driving in the Philippines will be your ultimate challenge....he, he.

Have you investigated the mountain resort city of Baguio in central Luzon?  The west coast of Luzon is less than

2 hours bus ride from Baguio, where you can surf and scuba dive in San Fernando, La Union.  

Your adventure starts now, my friend -- Jake

By the way guys, is there something equivalent to the Rocky Mountain Oysters in the Philippines?  

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
By the way guys, is there something equivalent to the Rocky Mountain Oysters in the Philippines?
Balut is close enough!

As for islands... all I know is Panay is not right for me... but since Melane is right it will do ha ha

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
JMEL
Posted
Posted

Cyrus, having lived in Thailand and Phils, my lifestyle being similar to what you described, I have a suggestion. Since you like Chaing Mai go and compare Bacolod. It is not as big as CM, but has a lot of nature outside the city proper and does have good (for Phils) internet. If internet is critical such as real-time stocks, high data volume, etc you may not want to move to Phils.

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I think I want to find a smallish city with mountains nearby and buy some acreage/house up above the city for a bit cooler cimate.
That's almost everywhere  :) 

Greg has even two such places, living high outside Cebu (still I believe) and has land in Claveria, North Mindanao, where it is a high plateau, 25 km from Cagayan de Oro, with some smaller cities closer.

Bukidnon, North Mindanao, has cheap land.

Mountains north of Tacloban, Bohol, has regular jeepney connections on an OK road, cheap land, bad Internet in the highest mountains, but I suppouse there are less bad Internet at the outer side of the mountains facing the ocean =It can be nice ocean view, but some away from it, so land can be cheap.  Similar at the south coast of Bohol.

Palawan has several such places,

as well as both sides of Cebu island.

Just to mension a few  :)