Bringing Her To The States For A Visit....

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I have been talking to a girl online for quite a while - we were introduced by a mutual friend. I want to bring her to the States for a visit but was wonder how difficult it would be. I was wondering what kind of travel requirements are there for single Filipino women? I have heard they make it a bit difficult for them to travel, for their own safety. Human trafficking concerns, I guess.

She is 24 and has a passport. Other than a round trip ticket from PI to Texas (which I want to give her for her birthday) what else would she need? Do they need a travel visa to get out? I was wondering if anyone knows what hoops we would have to jump through and if it would be worth it for a 2 month visit?

We have not met in person yet and I plan on retiring over there in about 9 months anyway... but I thought it would be nice to meet and show around here for a bit. Too much trouble - impossible - easy?

Or.... maybe I could hire her for 6 months as a housekeeper? She could help me get the house cleaned up to move - and we could get to know each other better... just thinking out loud now - I will stop...

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

She would need to have a tourist visa and I think it might be very hard to get, possibly dependant on her financial status. If she has means then it might be possible.

My girlfriend was just here but she has a 10 year B1/B2 visa due to her work. She spent 3 months in Idaho in 2008. Despite that, we were paranoid that she might have a difficult time at immigration, fueled by stories of Filipinas being put back on the plane and sent home. I think most of those stories were exagerated. She did not have any problems at the border. I told her to answer all questions honestly, and she did. He stamped her passport for a 6 month stay; too bad she could not stay that long!

Actually a colleague of hers did get turned around at the border once, but that was because she was entering the US too often for work. They said she needed a different work visa and sent her home!

If I were you I would buy the ticket for yourself and get over for a week or two.

• Like 2

TheMason
Posted
Posted

Forget about a tourist visa. Unless your GF is wealthy and has a high-paying job in the Philippines, she is very unlikely to get a tourist visa. As for hiring her as a housekeeper for 6 months, that's not likely to work either. You can generally only get employment visas for positions you cannot hire for locally. A housekeeper won't qualify.

Save the money and aggravation and just go visit her in the Philippines.

• Like 5

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Tried getting a tourist VISA for my now wife back in 2003. We were looking at a just a 2 week visit. She could only take 2 weeks vacation and had to get back to her domestic helper job in Hong Kong. She had been working there for 9 years at the time.

US Embassy in Hong Kong denied it.

• Like 1

Okieboy
Posted
Posted

I don't think the house keeper would work but i have a friend who has a filipina as a care giver for his mother in the USA,

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Oh well... it was just a thought :)

I am moving there right after Christmas and have no more vacation time to take. So I can wait. I hoped it might be easier... she has nothing to do there and would like to come see the States. No worries. thanks for the quick replies.

• Like 2

adventureguy
Posted
Posted

I have been talking to a girl online for quite a while - we were introduced by a mutual friend. I want to bring her to the States for a visit but was wonder how difficult it would be. I was wondering what kind of travel requirements are there for single Filipino women? I have heard they make it a bit difficult for them to travel, for their own safety. Human trafficking concerns, I guess.

She is 24 and has a passport. Other than a round trip ticket from PI to Texas (which I want to give her for her birthday) what else would she need? Do they need a travel visa to get out? I was wondering if anyone knows what hoops we would have to jump through and if it would be worth it for a 2 month visit?

We have not met in person yet and I plan on retiring over there in about 9 months anyway... but I thought it would be nice to meet and show around here for a bit. Too much trouble - impossible - easy?

Or.... maybe I could hire her for 6 months as a housekeeper? She could help me get the house cleaned up to move - and we could get to know each other better... just thinking out loud now - I will stop...

The tourist visa is damn near impossible unless she is wealthy, owns property in Phils PLUS has left the country previously and returned. You could apply for a fiance visa AFTER you come and meet her in person. To qualify for the fiance visa which is a one-time only 90 days visa, you must be able to prove that you have met in person already and are engaged to be married.
  • Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)

I gave a "Like" to all the replies on here... Great information that could save someone the heartache later!

An option for those in the northern US is to meet in Canada for a week or 2 if they couldn't get into the States.... I know it used to be much easier to get into Canada for a visit (for the Cdn government end of things) but even that I"m not sure about anymore...

Edited by i am bob

Adventurer
Posted
Posted

you should visit there when you get your time off work without decidig yet if you will live there. First you have not met her in person and 2nd the Philippines is not always what you see in postcards, some love it, some hate it, try it first...

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

I gave a "Like" to all the replies on here... Great information that could save someone the heartache later!

An option for those in the northern US is to meet in Canada for a week or 2 if they couldn't get into the States.... I know it used to be much easier to get into Canada for a visit (for the Cdn government end of things) but even that I"m not sure about anymore...

Not for RP citizens to many stayed and the boarders are hard on them now

• Like 1