Philippines Independence Day!

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Happy independence day Philippines! :540:

Let the party start. ANyone going to do fireworks or is that just Christmas and New Year?

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Happy independence day Philippines! :540:

Let the party start. ANyone going to do fireworks or is that just Christmas and New Year?

:dance: Who Knows? it is the PI after all. :lol:

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Thread hijack to start now.

Where I reside in the states you can buy some pretty awesome fireworks around Independence Day. Big mortars shooting star shells way up into the sky, etc.

Are fireworks like these legal and available for purchase in the Philippines?

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
re fireworks like these legal and available for purchase in the Philippines?

They have both legal and illegal firecrackers in the Philippines. The largest is the "atom bomb" (illegal) with an explosive equivalent of seven hand grenades. They don't recommend lighting an atom bomb in the city since it could destroy an entire house.

Independence Day on June 12th used to be celebrated on July 4th, until the nationalists got it changed. The nationlists claimed the Americans gave the Philippine the 4th of July as a reminder of their imperialism and dominance.

Firecrackers are not used as part of the independence day celebration. Fireworks and fire crackers are reserved for town fiestas and the new year. The custom is really Chinese. The noise drives away bad spirits from joining the celebrants as they usher in the new year.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Thread hijack to start now.

Where I reside in the states you can buy some pretty awesome fireworks around Independence Day. Big mortars shooting star shells way up into the sky, etc.

Are fireworks like these legal and available for purchase in the Philippines?

I know you can certainly buy them around new year. Biggest fireworks I have ever seen. They were selling them in front of the Country Mall Cebu City a few years back when I was there at that time of year. I believe my wife told me no fireworks allowed in Zamboanga City though.

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted
re fireworks like these legal and available for purchase in the Philippines?

They have both legal and illegal firecrackers in the Philippines. The largest is the "atom bomb" (illegal) with an explosive equivalent of seven hand grenades. They don't recommend lighting an atom bomb in the city since it could destroy an entire house.

Independence Day on June 12th used to be celebrated on July 4th, until the nationalists got it changed. The nationlists claimed the Americans gave the Philippine the 4th of July as a reminder of their imperialism and dominance.

Firecrackers are not used as part of the independence day celebration. Fireworks and fire crackers are reserved for town fiestas and the new year. The custom is really Chinese. The noise drives away bad spirits from joining the celebrants as they usher in the new year.

If the atom bomb is really that strong how would you get all of the people far enough away so no one got hurt? The Philippines is too overpopulated to use fireworks that strong unless you want to kill a few people.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

If the atom bomb is really that strong how would you get all of the people far enough away so no one got hurt? The Philippines is too overpopulated to use fireworks that strong unless you want to kill a few people.

People were getting killed and loss limbs during new year celebrations. The culprits were oversized firecrackers and police officers discharging their weapons in the air. Also soldiers and their automatic weapons. Now, those bullets eventually fall to the earth and some pierce roofs or people. They have really clamped tight on police officers and soldiers discharging their weapons.

The atom bomb was originally created for dynamite fishing, which everyone knows is terrible. It destroys the coral reefs and kills all the fish. The fishermen wait for the fish to float and retrieve them. (They also poured insecticides in the water to kill fish. Those were the bad old days.) A while ago, there was a story posted in this forum about someone finding an unexploded WWII era artillery shell or aerial bomb. The police officer who found the unexploded ordinance went to a shop and they used an acetylene torch to open it. Naturally, it exploded killing people and destroying property. Unexploded ordinance is one source for the powder to make the atom bomb firecracker.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
The atom bomb was originally created for dynamite fishing

You're kidding, right?

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
You're kidding, right?

Unfortunately, No. It is less of a problem now than it was 10 or 20 years ago. I goggled "Philippine Dynamite Fishing". Below is the first two paragraphs from a 2002 San Francisco Chronicle article.

The depths of destruction

Dynamite fishing ravages Philippines' precious coral reefs

(05-30) 04:00 PDT Subic Bay, Philippines -- Although some of the world's most extensive coral reefs are found in the Philippines, they are under such sustained assault by dynamite fishing that marine biologists say the corals are on the verge of utter collapse.

"There are many horrific things going on in the world's oceans, but this tops the list," said John McCosker, the chairman of aquatic biology at the California Academy of Sciences in San Francisco. "When divers talked about the world's finest coral reefs 20 years ago, the consensus for the top spot was always the Philippines, but nobody feels that way now."

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I was referring to "the atom bomb was originally created for dynamite fishing".