Manila Queen Of The Pacific 1938

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted

I don't know if you all have come across this video on you tube but i seen it tonight and it made me think of what manila was like PRE WW2 the one thing i noticed was the driving hasn't changed much in 60 years hahaha , i just wonder though what were the people living there at that time did they have any idea of what would be happening to them in the next 7 years ??? , i know there's allot of vids like this on you tube especially during the war , if you like i can post them up here for us all to enjoy a different era that's for sure !!

[media=]

O-U-C :thumbsup:

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Thanks O-U-C ...... if you find ore by all means show them .... I for one keep a folder with old pictures and videos of the Philippines ....

Yyes the Philippines was considered to be the Pearl Of the Orient back in those days but thanks to the Japanese Manila was reduced to rubble during WW II .... and when I say thanks to the Japanese it is because of the following account ...... this one is from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manila_massacre ....... much of Manila and her citizens could have been spared

To avoid needless violence and civilian deaths, and to preserve as large a force as possible to continue defensive operations in rural Luzon, Imperial Japanese Army General Tomoyuki Yamash&ta had ordered a complete withdrawal of Japanese troops from Manila. However, 10,000 marines under Vice Admiral Sanji Iwabuchi disobeyed Yamash&ta's orders[ and remained in Manila along with some IJA stragglers.

Various credible Western and Eastern sources agree that the death toll was at least 100,000,tallying to around 10% of the population of the city. The massacre was at its worst in the Battle of Manila, in which the Allies shelled the city of Manila to drive out the Japanese. By the time the Japanese were driven out, the city was in ruins, becoming the second most destroyed Allied capital city during the war, the first being Warsaw in Poland. During lulls in the battle for control of the city, Japanese troops took out their anger and frustration on the civilians caught in the crossfire. Japanese troops looted and burned, and brutally executed, decapitated and abused women, men and children alike, Red Cross personnel, prisoners of war and hospital patients.

The Manila massacre was one of several major war crimes committed by the Imperial Japanese Army, as judged by the postwar military tribunal. Although General Yamash&ta had ordered all Japanese forces under his command to withdraw from Manila, and had no control over those who chose to disobey his orders, he was nonetheless judged to be responsible and executed. The Yamash&ta standard — regarding a commander's responsibility for action taken by anyone under his command — is based upon his trial. This decision is still controversial today.

post-11-0-29745000-1340167712_thumb.jpg

Just about total and complete annihilation ...... I too wonder what the Phils would be like today if this hadn't happened ...... I believe that the Philippines would be an entirely different place an it is now ..... IMHO

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

General Yamash&tas execution was not legal it was forced by a vengeful MacArthur who was furious that he out maneuvered him to the wars end. General Yamash&ta only stopped fighting at the wars end he did not surrender as you may read someplace online. MacArthur demanded his surrender Yamash&ta said something to the effect "I do not need to surrender the war is ended and I have stopped hostilities". The whole true facts are difficult to know after all this time but the trial and execution are controversial.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
I too wonder what the Phils would be like today if this hadn't happened ...... I believe that the Philippines would be an entirely different place an it is now ..... IMHO

Yes, what a huge setback for the Philippines people and the city. This is an interesting topic that and I do not know much about the Philippines front of WW II, so now I am curious to find out more.

• Like 1

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted (edited)

well i can help you out on my way with another video i found its pre ww2 and in black and white with music from the era so not much info on at that time but you can at least get a idea of what it must have been like !!! i dont now how many of you stay in manila or visit there but when i go to BoI to renew my visa its in Intramuros and there's a old building there that they didn't touch or tear down from ww2 i dont know what the city's plan for it is but its interesting just seeing it , you can see how bombed out it was and still see bullet holes in the walls !! i hope they preserve it because other then fort Santiago i dont think i have seen a building left from ww2 ??? if you want i have a picture of the wife and i standing beside it i can post it tomorrow just let me know !! anyway heres the video i was telling you about i hope you enjoy it !!!

Oh i did also see 2 ww2 videos in Manila on you tube IN COLOR which is very rare but they are a little graphic and i wasn't sure about posting a link to them due to the nature of it but if you want just pm me and i'll send you the link directly if you wish to see it !!

[media=]

Edited by OldUgly&Cranky
  • Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Thanks again O-U-C ..... I got started viewing and saving the video's on ol' Manila and before I knew it 3 hours had passed ..... but what an enjoyable time spent .... :thumbsup:

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I did the same as Mike.... except I'm not sure how long I spent looking at the videos... Maybe 3 hours... Maybe more?

Excellent find OUC!

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
Oh i did also see 2 ww2 videos in Manila on you tube IN COLOR which is very rare but they are a little graphic and i wasn't sure about posting a link to them due to the nature of it but if you want just pm me and i'll send you the link directly if you wish to see it !!

Yes, I think I found those and watched them. Very interesting and informative!

• Like 1

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted

Im glad you like the videos everyone i will keep looking for more for us all ok but until then here are 2 pictures of the building i said that was bombed out during ww2 !!

bombed Out building

Enjoy Everyone !!

• Like 3

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted

i found 1 more i hope you enjoy again it was just before ww2 !!

http://youtu.be/paRwml066Lo

• Like 2