Things To Be Aware Of In Rental Contracts

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
We moved from there in October to a very nice place in a different sub-division owned by a true gentleman and so far,

Great reading Mark, my sympathies for all the trouble with the previous landlord but your story was both an eye opener and a chuckle. (And thanks to you and Mae for your best wishes on our child - other thread).

What I wondered was why you are renting. I remember hearing that you were building your own place. Are you in it now or did you give up on it or is it just taking longer than expected to complete?

Markham
Posted
Posted

What I wondered was why you are renting. I remember hearing that you were building your own place. Are you in it now or did you give up on it or is it just taking longer than expected to complete?

We started building that place before we knew Mae was pregnant and after she gave birth she suddenly decided that she didn't want to live in such a 'remote area' in case of emergency (it's actually 14 kms to the city centre). So I called a halt to the building works. Then we discovered our builder (an American) had been stealing from us; built himself a quite large Sar-Sari using around 100k's worth of my materials which he stole in broad daylight. We do have three reliable witnesses and cases have been filed.

• Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted
Then we discovered our builder (an American) had been stealing from us;

Geeeeeeeeeee ...... not another story of some foreigner taking advantage of another foreigner ..... :th_unfair: ....... and they can't seem to understand why I refuse to associate with them in person ....... :hystery: :hystery: ..... after all aren't we all brothers ...... NOT ......... :mocking:

• Like 2

Markham
Posted
Posted

Geeeeeeeeeee ...... not another story of some foreigner taking advantage of another foreigner ..... :th_unfair: ....... and they can't seem to understand why I refuse to associate with them in person ....... :hystery: :hystery: ..... after all aren't we all brothers ...... NOT ......... :mocking:

To an extent I agree with you. But I am not about to put all foreigners in the same pidgeon-hole. In my time here, I have come across some really nice and decent expats with whom I'd quite happily break bread and have done so, but I've also met some that I wouldn't wish to meet again, ever.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

100-150 years ago, when USA had huge immigration from Europe*, a big part of the scams against new arrivers were made by people from their birth country... :23_11_62[1]:

*Back when e g the city with second most Swedes in the world after Stockholm, Sweden, wasn't Gothenburg, Sweden, but Chicago, USA!