The Polite Way To Say No To Filipino Family Members

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I am so happy that my Special Someone has a very small family and seem to all be doing reasonably well for themselves! :541:

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:) Same here Bob BUT beware! of a skeleton, Hiding in a cupboard somewhere, There always is, at least one, I am sorry to say, even in a well to do Middle class family. :unsure:

• Like 5

i am bob
Posted
Posted

:) Same here Bob BUT beware! of a skeleton, Hiding in a cupboard somewhere, There always is, at least one, I am sorry to say, even in a well to do Middle class family. :unsure:

As long as it's not my own!

:mocking:

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I am so happy that my Special Someone has a very small family and seem to all be doing reasonably well for themselves! :541:

You chose well my friend. :)

• 2 months later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

I'd give you the perfect answer to your question, but I have to run down to the Western Union right now! :bonk:

I'll answer IF I come back home! :)

Will? have you returned back from Western union?back home yet?

I am eagerly awaiting a answer... :th_interesting:

• Like 2

7kmilesaway
Posted
Posted

What is the customary way to diplomatically say no to Filipino family members who think you are the cash cow? without being looked down on by the family or hurt their feelings and have them hold a grudge against you for not giving in to their demands or request?

Just say NO, surely they will understand that you have your needs as well and that its you alone who's supporting yourself financially in order to survive. Or better yet let your gf/wife handle the situation. The family will understand, just explain them your side :santa_smiley:

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
bootleultras
Posted
Posted

I told the wife from day one I was marrying her, not her family and they shouldnt expect us to look after them............ It didnt work! but ever the years, the small amounts we have gave them hasnt really done any damage and ever since their desire has strengthened for us to have children and my reply was "how can I afford any more kids, when I already have you lot?" Seemed to do the trick, now I just gotta produce the kids to keep them off my back!!!

Some of the earlier posters are absoloutely correct though, my wife has always been the 'bread' winner in the family and then I came along so the pressure on her was intense and at times the way she was treated by them was appaling if she refused to give them money for what they needed, over the years it has got alot better though but I still remember the early years and was always angry at the way she was treated.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
Txpinoy7850
Posted
Posted

Unless you hook up with an Aquino..........You will be poked for money all the time. Sadly, most folks there think that in America, you just pick up money as you walk down the sidewalk. It can be very problematic if not handled with a touch of diplomacy. I applaud one posters theme..that your asawa is the best vehicle to say "no", as well as explaining to her that money that migrates out of our household.................migrates out of her pocket as well.!!!!!!!!!!! Small amounts of charity, spread often, seems to work for me. I can then say....I already give to the church,sponsor the disco at fiestas,etc etc, and I dont have much left.

• Like 4