Back-Up Id

Beachboy
Posted
Posted

A question for you guys living in the Phils. Do you have a contingency plan if you lose your passport? Has anyone had that experience? I know you can apply at the embassy/consular office for a replacement, but what sort of id do you need to do that? Does any one rent a safe deposit box?

This question is from someone who would lose his head if it weren't attached. :bash: Thanks.

Wayne

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted

As UK citizens we are advised to register each year with the British consulate/embassy if living abroad, then if anything untoward happens they have all your info on record. Presumably the same applies to other nationalities.

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
Make a scan of the information page of your passport and store it on your computer. I also send it to myself in an email, so as yahoo has a copy, and I can access it from any computer. Then you can print it out and should not need any other form of ID

This is THE answer and the only one. Because if your passport is stolen, the first thing you have to do before you can get a new one issued is to file a police report. When you file a police report the first thing they ask for is a photocopy on the passport. This is Philippines. When you don't have that copy it is more fun here.

Edit: Yes this comes from direct knowledge of my best friend losing his US Passport and having to go through it.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Well here is what I do .... I take my original passport down to National book store ..... I have them copy the first page (where your picture is) and the last date of my BI stamp (now I have a 13a so my last date never changes .... if you don't then you will need to do this each time you get your passport stamped) they will then laminate it back to back ..... by the way they do this all the time and know what to do ..... then I put my original passport somewhere safe and I do not carry it ....... just the laminated copy (by the way I do this with my ACR I card too)

Now I know some are going to tell you the US requires you to carry your passport 24/7 ..... up to you .... I don't choose to and I have heard of a lot of guys that don't for the simple reason that it is just to damn hard to replace your documents if lost or stolen .....

Form support ...... if this information is illegal ..... immoral or in anyway in appropriate please remove ...... thank you

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
This question is from someone who would lose his head if it weren't attached. Thanks.

I know a guy who left his passport in his pocket and then washed it in the washing machine. :bash:

It came out all curled up and a bit frizzy. He then ironed it and it flattened out nicely and he still uses it. It won't read in the readers at customs so they have to type in the number.

I will see him tomorrow morning when I shave! :hystery:

• Like 3

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
A question for you guys living in the Phils. Do you have a contingency plan if you lose your passport?

when you arrive,,

1.go to the embassy.

2. Register yourself or family. they then will have you on file.SO in CASE you do lose it or your passport they know who you are

Well here is what I do ....

I take my original passport down to National book store ..... I have them copy the first page (where your picture is) and the last date of my BI stamp (now I have a 13a so my last date never changes ....

if you don't then you will need to do this each time you get your passport stamped) they will then laminate it back to back ..... by the way they do this all the time and know what to do .....

then I put my original passport somewhere safe and I do not carry it ....... just the laminated copy (by the way I do this with my ACR I card too)

thanks MIKE S for the #3

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

The idea behind carrying your passport at all times was that, if you were arrested or hospitalized, the local authorities are suppose to contact the embassy or consulate (yeah, right!)... Other than the times I would be going to the embassy or consulate, I would do a Mikey and carry the laminated copy and keep my passport somewhere safe - like in a very securely and hidden safe or a safety deposit box. By the way, in my military days, we often just carried a copy of our Military ID that was laminated as well and with the CO's blessing - depending on what country we were in!

:tiphat:

• Like 3

Beachboy
Posted
Posted

Thanks guys .. this is exactly what I needed to know. In my time living abroad (back in the dark ages) I never carried my passport either. Now I know what to when I get to the Phils. (1) Check in at the embassy (2) scan the passport and email myself a copy (3) laminate the first page and the BI stamp page to carry as ID (4) keep passport in a safe place and forget where I put it ( :bash: :hystery: ) Sounds like a plan.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Just don't forget to bring your oriiginals when dealing with the government... ie: visa extensions! :)

• Like 1