After The Storm- The Danger Of Leptospirosis

Leptospirosis  

10 members have voted

1. 1. are you aware of the danger of Leptospirosis?

• yes
    • no
  2. 2. was this health article helpful?

• yes
    • no

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

After a major storm or flooding, LEPTOSPIROSIS occurrs

simple steps to prevent is NOT TO WADE IN THE AFFECTED WATERS,

or if you must enter the water, make sure that YOU CLEAN yourself w/SOAP&water afterwards

(Outbreaks of leptospirosis are usually caused by exposure to contaminated water, such as floodwaters.)

listed below is some helpful articles and info that could SAVE your or your loved ones life

Leptospirosis is a bacterial disease that affects humans and animals. It is caused by bacteria of the genus Leptospira. In humans, it can cause a wide range of symptoms, some of which may be mistaken for other diseases. Some infected persons, however, may have no symptoms at all.

Without treatment, Leptospirosis can lead to kidney damage, meningitis (inflammation of the membrane around the brain and spinal cord), liver failure, respiratory distress, and even death

http://www.cdc.gov/leptospirosis/

the link below is a graph that i could not post correctly.

please read it could helpful

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/-depth/08/13/12/infographic-leptospirosis

2012-08-08t063738z_910101012_gm2e88814k001_rtrmadp_3_philippines-floods.jpg

• Like 3

Will
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the info, Bubba.

One other thing I never thought of while wading in flood waters. Usually the water is brackish and hard to see the walking surface, and most times man-hole covers have been blown off by water pushing out of the sewers. One wrong step, and you could disappear down the sewer and drown. Better just to let the water subside. If you must walk through the flood waters, get a walking stick or something similar to "feel" the walking surface in front of you.

• Like 4

Americano
Posted
Posted

I sometimes wonder if Filipinos know anything about spreading diseases when I see them sharing the same glass and ear phones and sneezing and coughing in each other face. I'm sure they don't know anything about Leptospirosisl or how to prevent it. The people wading in the flood waters look unconcerned.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

news update on latest cases

1713 or more cases just reported. hope that the friends and family of these victims will learn about the danger that is caused by the FLOODWATERS

here is the story

The Department of Health (DOH) has recorded a total of 1,713 cases of leptospirosis due to the massive flooding triggered by the southwest monsoon early last month.

Citing the Quick Count for leptospirosis cases related to the monsoon flooding, DOH Assistant Secretary Eric Tayag said that 116 of the victims died of the disease.

The cases were recorded in 20 private and government hospitals in Metro Manila from Aug. 9 to Sept. 16. The DOH will wrap up its Quick Count on Friday.

Last month, Metro Manila and nearby provinces were submerged in floodwaters spawned by torrential rains.

The Atlanta-based Center for Disease Control and Prevention defines leptospirosis as “a bacterial disease that affects humans and animals.”

Bacteria that cause leptospirosis are spread through the urine of infected animals, particularly rats, which can get into water or soil.

“In humans, it can cause a wide range of symptoms, some of which may be mistaken for other diseases. Some infected persons, however, may have no symptoms at all.

Without treatment, leptospirosis can lead to kidney damage, meningitis (inflammation of the membrane around the brain and spinal cord), liver failure, respiratory distress, and even death,” the CDC website showed.

The 1,713 leptospirosis cases is part of the 3,410 cases, including 149 deaths, recorded by the DOH from Jan. 1 to Aug. 25 nationwide.

http://www.philstar....rticleId=850432

here is a previous topic ,now closed that may have info,that discussed LEPTOSPIROSIS[

http://www.philippin...-of-the-iceberg

Edited by Call me Bubba
  • Like 2

brock
Posted
Posted
I sometimes wonder if Filipinos know anything about spreading diseases when I see them sharing the same glass

That is why Tuberculosis is rife in the Philippines, Sharing glasses and utensils all the time.

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

treatment for this Disease is now covered by Philhealth

Under Circular 39, the health insurance will cover all PhilHealth members and non-members, said Department of Health (DOH) Secretary Enrique Ona.

For those who have moderate leptospirosis cases, they are entitled to a “case rate” of P11,000 when admitted in hospitals.

Those with severe leptospirosis will get reimbursements for their hospital bills, according to PhilHealth Circular 40 series of 2012.

Sponsored Program members and beneficiaries are covered by the “no-balance” billing policy, which means there will be no additional payment coming from the member or beneficiary.

http://ph.news.yahoo.com/leptospirosis-patients-now-covered-philhealth-101616313.html

http://www.philhealth.gov.ph/circulars/2012/circ40_2012.pdf

• Like 3

Beachboy
Posted
Posted

Nasty little disease .. also found in Hawaii in fresh water streams. If you have to wade in the flood waters -- and unfortunately many people don't have a choice -- pay attention to any cuts or areas of broken skin. As Bubba's original post mentioned, wash well. Retreatment with an antibiotic ointment is also recommended It's important to be aware of the symptoms and get treatment early (penicillin, etc). Just another joy of living in your "tropical paradise".

• Like 4

i am bob
Posted
Posted

There have been reports of, after having waded through suspected infectious waters, using Listerine to wash with. Though this may help, I don't think I would bet my life on it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

There have been reports of, after having waded through suspected infectious waters, using Listerine to wash with. Though this may help, I don't think I would bet my life on it.

Yes Bob I have read something that "LISTERINE" has some germ killing benefit, if thats all you have at that moment then use it, better than NOTHING AT ALL

(think it was about nail fungus, that it kills those germs)

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Yes Bob I have read something that "LISTERINE" has some germ killing benefit, if thats all you have at that moment then use it, better than NOTHING AT ALL

(think it was about nail fungus, that it kills those germs)

Ah, you must be thinking of that study that was done a few years back and found to be misleading after it was published. It is the Thymol in the Listerine that was subject to the study in regards to repairing unhealthy nail sections affected by fungus. If you look at the timeline required for this to get result, the bad part of the nail would have grown out by then and thus removed the fungus from the nail. The funny thing is Thymol is very effective and will kill off Athlete's Foot and similar fungi but they need to be applied differently than that used in the study.

What I am referring to also involves Thymol. Thymol is an antibiotic in its own right and does affect the Leptospirosis bug itself. The amount of Thymol in Listerine is insufficient to provide a complete antibacterial wash (a 3 minute soak is required for that) but will remove sufficient amounts that a further thorough cleaning of an anti-bacterial soap and water in most cases should do the trick. Should you not have Listerine available, you can make your own Thymol by taking several Thyme plants and making a strong tea from them. Use both the leaves, stems and roots. Seriously there is no 100% effective cure but doing what I posted as well as getting a treatment of Doxycycline (Tetracycline family where Doxicycline has shown to be best) before or immediately after being possibly exposed to the Letrospirosis critters.

One last point? You don't have to wade through water to Leptospirosis... Once again, not washing after using the CR can be a common method of transference!

• Like 2