Why Do So Many Expats In The Pi Smoke?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I put this under health and made it red because smoking is definitely a health issue and I am not trying to get anyone to stop smoking or to push my will on them because I am a non smoker, but I am really wondering why so many smoke when there is so many things published that prove smoking is going to most likely kill them and possibly hurt the ones they love who they live with and are subjected to their second hand smoke........I have met so many very intelligent people here in Cebu at some of our get togethers and also all over the Philippines and many of those seem to smoke and I wonder if they do not believe all the info that says it is bad for them, or do not care about their own lives, and if they do not care about their own lives, do they care about the people around them that they supposedly love and not smoke at home to subject their loved ones to second hand smoke?Years ago, I never had a problem with smokers and then I worked part time at a strip joint in Florida a few days a week for a few years and the owners even put in smoke eater just for me because I was going to quit and then I finally had to quit anyway when my lungs kept filling up with green garbage that I could not get rid of no matter what I did while working there and I was having a hard time catching my breath, so I am now sensitive to smoke and that is why I try hard to stay away from it and it is not that I am just breaking anyone balls for no reason. Smoke has a proven adverse reaction on my health and I see so many smokers coughing, that I wonder if they do not know that it must be having an adverse reaction on them too?

tom_shor
Posted
Posted

I only smoke when I'm on fire. :cheers: :SugarwareZ-010: Some people just prefer to do what they like and take their chances. I had a friend years ago who was advised to give up several of his bad habits for his health. His response was why do I want to live longer if I can't do anything I want to do. Last time I saw him he was still going strong. 1024.gif :13_4_10[1]: :559: SugarwareZ-035.gifSugarwareZ-065.gif

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I guess I am just shocked to see so many people smoking here.......... My grandmother lived to 90 and chain smoked most of that time, but her quality of life in her older years was very bad and her veins had collapsed and they could not do open heart surgery on her and was kept a;live in a nursing home by medicines until she finally succumbed to what doctors said was caused by the smoking. I guess 90 is pretty good and I wish I would live that long to stay with my lovely wife, but I sure would not want to suffer the last 30 or so years of my life and I would much rather live a happy and semi healthy life to maybe 70 then to suffer 20 or more additional years. I am all about having a fun life and if that is what makes people happy, they can smoke all they want, but I wonder if they smoke around their loved ones in closed environments?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Lee, you worked as a stripper?

Markham
Posted
Posted
More to the point, was the client

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I managed a female strip joint, I do not think women would pay to see me without clothing unless it was a comedy club, might make them laugh too much. :13_4_10[1]:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
He was a pole dancer I think :13_4_10[1]:

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
He was a pole dancer I think :13_4_10[1]:
No the girls that worked there were, my pole. SugarwareZ-005.gif

volstateguy
Posted
Posted
I am all about having a fun life and if that is what makes people happy, they can smoke all they want, but I wonder if they smoke around their loved ones in closed environments?
Even when I did smoke, I never smoked in my house or car. Call me crazy...but even though I smoked I didn't want my house or car smelling like an ash tray.

twostrokes
Posted
Posted

Well, I smoked for 40 years, much of that chain smoking about 3 pks a day. The last 20 years, people started treating smokers like 2 class citizens and making a big deal out of trying to MAKE me quit.... The more they jeered, insulted, got mad, name called and whatever else they could think of to piss me off, the more I would resent them and made smoking my stand.....However when it started causing a little shortness of breath I began to take notice. Then when I needed back surgery, the Doc said " You can quit smoking and this surgery will heal in about 6 weeks, or you can keep smoking and it will heal in about 6 months...it's up to you. Do whatever you want." It was then that I decided to quit.To be honest with you, I could never really smell smoke unless I went into a bar packed with smokers or my car in the morn ing when I first got in. After about 2-3 minutes I couldn't smell it anymore. That is why I could not understand all the yakking people did about the smell of smoke. Both my parents smoked heavy, so I was in the smoke enrironment all my life and never knew any different. After being non-smoker now since 2001, I can smell smoke 100feet away, and on anyone that comes in the room after smoking a cigg. NOT a pleasent smell to say the least. I think there are a number of smokers like I was, that knows better but doesn't want someone jaming it down their throats.Jim