Retire In The Philippines Without Good Medical Cover At Your Peril

tiger31
Posted
Posted

i,m not sure if this is true or not but if you donate some of your blood to the hospital that you may end up in in case of emergency they will not charge you for the blood you receive ,maybe other members may clarify this rumour

Mate, they have costs to extract, then process and split the whatsits in your blood, store it and etc... They might be rip of merchants but there are costs to do this... I gave, 2 or 3 weeks ago, 500ml of my blood for a little Filipino boy with my same rare blood group, along with another foreigner (a Dutchman). I asked the family later, if the hopsital charged anything for my donation??? "Yes sir, P4,500"... Go figure, when you can get blood from the red cross for about P1,800. (But they wouldn't take our blood and sent us to Chong wa and they wouldn't either coz we weren't patients and we ended up at elsewhere ... Perpetual or something?)

well that blows that rumour out the water lol
  • Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
t Kaiser Permanente automatically send the prescription to their in-house pharmacy.

I've found Kaiser Medicare prescriptions to be reasonable. $10/prescription/month is the max price (if the generic costs less you pay the lower price). You can refill on- line and and have them mailed at no extra charge. Plus you save all the money you spend at Costco/Walmart while waitng for the prescription to be filled. :hystery:

they will mail it here to the Rp?

they have offices here in the Rp?

can this help US who now live here?

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)
500ml of my blood for a little Filipino boy with my same rare blood group,

You mean that you was able to give/donate BLOOD ?

wasnt there a RisK due to the RH FACTOR?

never heard of this UNLESS one is the same FACTOR.

must be a new medical breakthrough. :565:

heres a topic on BLOOD TYPES,ISSUES & Compatiblity

Edited by Call me Bubba

wombatphil
Posted
Posted
500ml of my blood for a little Filipino boy with my same rare blood group,

You mean that you was able to give/donate BLOOD ?

wasnt there a RisK due to the RH FACTOR?

never heard of this UNLESS one is the same FACTOR.

must be a new medical breakthrough. :565:

Must be something you may be completely ignorant of mate... The Dutchman with me, gave blood to the same little boy in January...

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I went through this a year ago at Chong Hua and Phil is correct, they do charge for drawing and testing donor blood. The charge at that time was about 4500 a unit and that was applied against any blood that the hospital provides, so I had 1 donor and his blood was used as a replacement for what they had given me so they credited me the difference between what they charged to draw/test and what they charge for the blood, just under 10k at that time. The cost was a moot point because I had insurance, the problem was that the hospital said they didn’t have any more so you have to get it on your own. When you walk out of Chong Hua with the blood request paper in your hand there are people waiting for you trying to sell you blood. They know you're coming. My gf (now wife) went through all this crap for me. It’s sickening and she did buy a unit at Red Cross for P1500. Far cheaper. She took it back to Chong Hua and tested it and they said it was positive for Hepatitis B. The best advice I can give is to take care of yourself as best you can so you or your loved ones never have to go through this.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

retiring anywhere without medical coverage is risky.

Philhealth here is not the best(compared to back home ) but its better than nothing at all.

here is some info that has been previously posted elsewhere on the forum

5. Can a foreign national enroll as an Individually Paying Member?

YES, the Implementing Rules and Regulations of RA 7875, as amended by RA 9241, provides for the inclusion to the National Health Insurance Program the citizens of other countries residing and/or working in the Philippines.

If the foreign national is employed, he/she shall be registered under the Employed Sector Program. Meanwhile, if he/she is self-employed or merely residing in the country, he/she may enroll as an Individually Paying Member.

He/she only needs to accomplish and submit to any PhilHealth office, the PhilHealth Member Registration Form (PMRF)

and a photocopy of his/her Alien Certificate of Registration (ACR) issued by the Bureau of Immigration (BI) to prove his/her residency in the country.

May I suggest if you have a gf/partner is to take her along as it may "help" speed the transaction

why? 1st time in 2008 i asked i didnt get a clear answer (or the answer I wanted to enroll)

went back a few weeks later , had my child w/me, AND presto. . :D

i was able to enroll ,become a member w/in 30min, paying the premium and leaving the office took about 1 hr total,(in 2008)

1. I am a new member. When will I become eligible to avail of PhilHealth benefits?

For one to become eligible for the benefits, payment of at least three (3) months within the immediate six (6) months prior to the month of confinement shall be required. However, payment of at least nine months within the last 12 months shall be asked of Individually Paying Members availing of the following procedures/packages:

• • Pregnancy-related cases
  • • Dialysis (except those undergoing emergency dialysis service during confinement)
  • • Chemotherapy
  • • Cataract Extraction
  • • Radiotherapy
  • • Selected surgical procedures

Individually Paying Members and Employed Members will now be required to have at least nine (9) months contributions within twelve (12) months prior to the month of availment for all confinements including availment of outpatient benefits).

http://www.philhealth.gov.ph/members/individually_paying/faqs.html

http://www.philhealth.gov.ph/members/individually_paying/member.html

http://www.philhealth.gov.ph/downloads/membership/pmrf.pdf copy of the enroll ment form

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
Elena
Posted
Posted
Hi all! Where you can see and choose a good health insurance that will operate in the Philippines on the family? We have medical insurance that is valid in the territory of Russia, and for a few weeks poezok we buy short-term insurance. But after reading the forum I think it would not be a good option.

I would be grateful for links to insurance companies
  • Like 1

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

For local plans, start with PhilHealth. After that, you can check out Intellicare, Maxi Care, Caritas etc.

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Seems like we got a little off topic.  Maybe a new thread should be started for recommended medical insurance/coverage amounts or similar.  I am sure many are interested in what others have found to be good companys for coverage in the PI.

danny

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I"m not so sure we are off-topic but it would make a great topic on it's own.

If I have time (after I go through the rest of the posts I haven't read yet), I will take a look to see what posts I can find already dealing with this or start a new one.

:thumbsup: