Need Help With My Philippines Expat Book...

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I was looking through the Google images using different searches involving the Philippines and I was amazed at all the different "survival" manuals and "expat training" manuals there are out there that had to have their covers included. Just by looking at the artwork, I knew they weren't very good. And s I thought "I could do this!!!" And after serious consideration, long nights in front of my computer and missing breakfast at least twice, I have come up with my own book - soon to be published! Please read ithe rough draft and tell me if you think I should make any other truly pertinent additions.... The text of my book is as follows:

"Go, enjoy yourself and be nice to everyone you meet!"

Seriously, if you could add one pertinent line to that book, what would you add? Just one line about the most important thing that you did not know of before you arrived? Something that could have avoided a lot of trouble? Avoided an embarrassing situation? Avoided spending a lot of money for nothing?

:mocking:

And, before somebody accuses me of trying to actually write this book, sorry! I intend to write for a living (hobby?) once I am firmly ensconced in the Philippines but never a book like this! I prefer to write Period Romance novels based in the Mesozoic era.

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted

"Go, enjoy yourself and be nice to everyone you meet!"

Seriously, if you could add one pertinent line to that book, what would you add?

I prefer to write Period Romance novels based in the Mesozoic era.

Well, at least you have roughly 50 character text on your first line.....he, he. I think the greatest reminder

to oneself as he ventures to unknown culture and customs, is to be flexible and respectful at all times.

You should have many fond memories of your travel. Not just meeting new friends of both sexes but also

the spirit of a new adventure. For those coming from freezing climates, perhaps getting certified as a scuba

diver and explore the wonders of some of the most beautiful diving spots.

And finally this Bob -- I thought I have a good command of the English language, but what is this: novels

about romances based on periods??

Gotcha -- Jake

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
if you could add one pertinent line to that book, what would you add?

Don't believe everything you read on expat forums.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)

Mike - I laughed when I saw your response - but you know what? Probably one of the best possible pieces of advice anyone can offer! :541:

Jake - I shall drop Troglodytes in your Dried Fish Kool-Ade!

Edited by I am bob

Mike S
Posted
Posted

"Leave your crappy foreign attitude back in the land where you came from" ..... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

Or this one ...... "You ain't in Kansas any more Toto" ...... I love that one ..... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ........ :cheersty:

• Like 2

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted
I was looking through the Google images using different searches involving the Philippines and I was amazed at all the different "survival" manuals and "expat training" manuals there are out there that had to have their covers included.

I found this forum on a survival manual website and discovered all the information I needed and more in a user friendly interactive format. See they do have their uses :mocking:

• Like 3

Beachboy
Posted
Posted
Period Romance novels based in the Mesozoic era.

Fred Flintstone and Wilma :cheersty:

• Like 2

Curley
Posted
Posted

Romantic Dinosaurs......... hmmmm?

• Like 1

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

Romantic Dinosaurs......... hmmmm?

Don't forget Pebbles.....
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Probably one of the best possible pieces of advice anyone can offer!

How about: Read the expat forums and learn from other people's mistakes.

I find there are a lot who come here and do not believe everything they read on expat forums, then they make the same mistakes that others did and try to warn people on expat forums. But remarkably, nobody listens. Funny thing that.

• Like 4