Teenagers Expat Dependant - Allowed To Work?

byronc
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I am being relocated to the philippines and am taking my two teenage sons - 18 and 20 years old as they are still studying.

Will they be able to do part time or fulltime jobs in any shape or form?

Same question for my expat wife - will she be able to work at all?

thanks

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Short answer... No, Foreigners are not allowed to work in Philippines. There are a very few exceptions and we have a forum member here who is legally working in Philippines.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Depends how long you will be here. If you will be here a looooooooooong time then get them a quota visa and they can work.

• Like 1

Okieboy
Posted
Posted

i don't think there will be any jobs they would want,unless it is with a foreign company such as the one your working for.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I am being relocated to the philippines and am taking my two teenage sons - 18 and 20 years old as they are still studying.

Will they be able to do part time or fulltime jobs in any shape or form?

Same question for my expat wife - will she be able to work at all?

thanks

Not sure where I read it, but I believe it was said by a consultant in such subjects:

It's some chance to get work permit IF having very special skills, WHICH THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH FILIPINS MANAGING =The main is it isn't allowed to take any jobs which Filipin citizens can do.

But kanos can get work through own company. BUT look up concerning what own businesses types kanos can have. There are rather many rules, so I don't write all here :)

But I don't know if it's allowed to give work to own family.

Because of man and wife are seen as ONE in some other cases, I GUESS it's OK for both man and wife to work in one own company,

but I would check before letting kids work there.

byronc
Posted
Posted

So they cant do say, make websites, english tutoring, mow the grass.

I am not talking big stuff here.

Just to keep em out of mischief

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

So they cant do say, make websites, english tutoring, mow the grass.

I am not talking big stuff here.

Just to keep em out of mischief

Anyone can make websites but if you are going to work for a company then that is different.

Work permits are required to teach English.

Mow the grass will be hard to find the grass first.

Question

Have you ever been to the Philippines or researched the country?

if you are thinking of odd jobs think about the very high unemployment rate and those that say walk in the middle of the road to try to sell bottled water to drivers. Philippines is not a first world country so try to think of it from a different view.

Jobs for foreigners are more suited to call centers or management but still, you have to have the correct type of visa and your sons are adults so my guess is that they need their own work permits or visa to allow them to work. Have you checked with the BI as to what visa status they are?

byronc
Posted
Posted

Ah, they will be going to university - so on Student Visa's. If they can't work, then they cant, but it would be nice to know what their rights are etc.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Ah, they will be going to university - so on Student Visa's. If they can't work, then they cant, but it would be nice to know what their rights are etc.

Your being relocated and the family is following you. I think you need to check out every aspect of this because it could all fall under different category's for example your sons are adult so studying and your relocation are different than say if your sons were 10 years old.

I certainly are no immigration expert but I think forums are not the best advice that you need in this case regarding these type of issues.

Bit of a starting point, http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php

Who is arranging your relocation may I ask?

byronc
Posted
Posted

under 21 they are dependants on my visa, but I will switch them to student visas.

immigration agents are vendors paid for by my company - "santa fe relocation"

I could not get clear answers off the gov site as to what rights dependants and students had. So was looking for the general feel from fellow expats