Philippine Cybercrime Law

retired
Posted
Posted

Just wondering if there's been much feedback there in Cebu regarding the Philippines new Cybercrime Law ? Folks in our neck of the woods , Northern Mindanao - Cagayan de Oro , are perhaps over reacting but mainly Facebookers . :-) Would seem to be a step backward for the Philippines in terms of the international community but given the fact that a significent number of folks that passed the bill apparently didn't bother to read it guess it's not suprising :-)

http://www.philstar.com/nation/article.aspx?publicationsubcategoryid=200&articleid=853745

Above link provides one view but there are many..

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted

So will this forum be monitored for member's personal views on dubious members of parliament and their antics? :th_unfair: Luckily, I haven't made any comments that might flag me at customs.

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

So will this forum be monitored for member's personal views on dubious members of parliament and their antics? :th_unfair: Luckily, I haven't made any comments that might flag me at customs.

Keep your forum name an alias. As long as the this forum is not hosted on a server located on Philippine soil and JGF refuses to give a members full name without a proper court order issued from his own country, No real worries.

Immigration is the one you would be concerned about being "Flagged". Customs officials check your baggage leaving the airport. Immigration checks people, Customs checks everything else.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Hummmmmm ...... do you remember the young man accused of having phone sex by the two freeloading cops ....... I wonder if your phone has internet capabilities could you be stopped and accused of participating in cyber-sex ...... :mocking: :mocking: ..... :cheersty:

TheMason
Posted
Posted

From the article.....

"Imagine that the computer is your virtual 'house, paper and effects' and contains all your private activities. Through this law, government can check in on your house and your activities, conduct searches based on ‘reasonable grounds’ (Sec.12), monitor your traffic data based on ‘due cause’ (Sec.12) and then take away your house or prevent you from accessing your own home (Sec.19)," Reyes added.

I agree with this for things on your computer, but once you post on the Internet, that is public speech. You should be held to the same standard for comments made in a public forum online as you would for comments made in a public forum offline. What the article fails to mention is, what are the penalties for libel if done offline? If they are the same as for online comments, I don't see the big deal about this law.

We could debate the merits of libel laws in general, but this law doesn't seem any more restrictive than existing laws.

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Hummmmmm ...... do you remember the young man accused of having phone sex by the two freeloading cops ....... I wonder if your phone has internet capabilities could you be stopped and accused of participating in cyber-sex ...... :mocking: :mocking: ..... :cheersty:

Good one!!! :6:

Phone sex is not illegal but cyber sex is in Philippines. I remember the Chief of Police saying phone sex was not illegal.

• Like 1

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted
mmigration is the one you would be concerned about being "Flagged". Customs officials check your baggage leaving the airport. Immigration checks people, Customs checks everything else.

Thanls for the heads up Flyaway :thumbsup:

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted

What about some dirty chat while enjoying (if you can say that about a Big Mac) a meal at McDonalds or another establishment and using their free wifi? Food for thought

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

One of the biggest reason for this new law is because of all the discussion on the various social sites like Facebook and Twitter in regards to how the local people feel about people in power .... from the Brgy level to the Governmental offices ....... to the rich and powerful and religious sector ..... my asawa reads a lot of these posts and has read to me so very interesting comments made by people talking about the senators and congressmen especially some of the primadonna's in the senate ...... one so called woman was furious about remarks made about her ...... so now they have the means to shut down the voice of the people and to continue unchecked with their plans of corruption and graft ..... if they don't like something you wrote about them you will be punished by the law ..... another ploy in keeping the masses dummied up ...... IMHO ....... :cheersty:

• Like 4

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have three Facebook contacts with backed out profile photos on my friends list. They all shared "Be Against Cyber Crime Law" photos from this facebook page (you need to be logged in). I can't see how this can be lawful? One of my friends sent me this LINK as a reference that may have gotten her in trouble, I don't know.

Edited by Kuya Fred